shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stone question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
I am in the process of building a three stone ring. The center stone is about 0.65ct and i would like the sides to be at least 0.30 each. Its not for an engagement ring, so the i do not want the center stone to be too much larger than the sides. I guess my first question is, will the 0.30''s be large enough? I have a found a pair that i really like..they are a little larger than 0.30 but have a nice spread, so they may seem a bit larger visually.
They are SI1''s however, and being that these will be my first SI1 purchase, I was wondering if i should be too concerned with the inclusions inside. They are eye clean, however, the small inclusions that are there are a mix of tiny black spots and a few white ones. Again, they are eye clean, and I dont think the wearer of the ring will notice them..but would it bother you? Is this pretty normal for SI1 stones? They are ideal cut so i know they will have great performance..
any comments would be greatly appreciated! as of now, i am leaning towards purchasing them.
appl.gif
9.gif
thanks!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
bling,

Are all the stones round? If you would like to actually see a rendering of a three stone ring in the approximate sizes you are talking about, you can click here and go to the design your own ring page.

As for the inclusions, if the stones are eyeclean and none of the inclusions compromise the integrety of the stones (breaking through the surface of the stone somewhere) and you are happy with them visually, then go for it!!!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
bling,

I just tried the site I gave you above. Unfortunately there is not as much freedom to see different sizes together as I had thought. The one I tried was 0.75 center and the program came up with each of the side stones being approx. 0.50 ct for a total of 1.75. This was as close as I could come. From that rendering, I would surmise that with your stones the main stone might be the focal point of the ring.

How much above 0.30 ct are they? Going by the formula on the above site, if they are approx. 2/3 of the size of the main diamond, then the focus is not as intense on the main stone. That would mean sides in approx. 0.40 to 0.45 ct each size.

Hope this helps and maybe Valeria will chime in, she is great at posting visuals!
2.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the response...
the sides stones i am looking at are as follows..
0.327 4.48x4.50 table 54% depth 60.8% crown 34.8 pav 40.9
0.330 4.49x4.52 table 56% depth 60.4% crown 35.1 pav 40.7

they seem to have a nice spread compared to other stones of the same carat weight..which is why i like these particular stones...my center stone is appoximately 5.6mm..its set, so couldnt get any more info than that.
do you think the sides will still be too small? I have not seen them in person, but have seen all the photos and images..all look great. my only last concerns were about the small black inlcuions.
9.gif
9.gif

thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now... why would one worry about something impossible to see (the respective specs) ? If you can find a reason, than go VS, I would think, seriously!

The graphics at adimaondisforever.com take into account 60% depth (at least this is what the proportions of the pictures imply).

Your sides would have their diameters about 80% of the centers' so the ring would look alike the (constructed) picture below:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

80sides.JPG

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a 3 stone ring (.54SI1 and .341 SI1 and .340 SI1) and all of the stones are eyeclean (thanks, GOG!) I can't see any of the inclusions or the black spots at all - but if you can't see it, I'd say go for it!
1.gif

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on a wonderful buy. I think 3-stones are the best way to go which, in all honesty, means that you and I and those who are buying or upgrading to 3-stones are successful examples of DeBeers marketing. But I'm sold because I can buy more carat weight for more spread and surface area for brilliance, fire, and scinties.

My personal opinion about the proportion of side diamonds with respect to the center stone is that anything is okay. The DeBeers 3-stone commercial has side stones with 80% width of the center, which equates to a 2:1 proportion approximately. Other jewelers like the sides to be smaller, such as in the 30-40% carat wt of the center piece (or ~3:1 proportion) to "bring out" or "not take away from" the center stone.

Many high end jeweler such as Tiffany & Co. have 3-stone rings that also follow a strict 2:1 proportion, i.e. if the center stone is 1 ct, the sides will be .5 ct. So the side stones you purchased would most likely appear like the DeBeers 3-stone ring.
Can't wait to see pictures of your ring.

squire

bling

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone tell me where i might find a three stone setting, mounting only..or does soemthing like that usually need to be custom ordered? thanks for any tips..
9.gif
loopy.gif
wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results