shape
carat
color
clarity

side dish for braised short ribs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I need to make and bring a side dish to go along with braised short ribs. What would you guys bring? I''m totally blanking! Obviously somebody needs to make mashed potatoes, but I haven''t been cooking that long and figure I should let somebody known for their awesome mashed potatoes sign up for that one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green bean casserole might go nicely with that.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, Lorelei.

You reminded me of a green bean and red pepper dish my husband and I made to bring to a dinner which got a lot of rave reviews. I think I''ll bring that since I know it travels well.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe a yummy mac n cheese

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
greens of one kind or another: swiss chard?

movie zombie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
a yummy rice?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Root veggie bake. Carrots, parsnips, whole garlic at least. EVOO and lots of butter and seasoning.

cheers--Shaorn

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swiss chard and horseradish creme fraiche

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Roasted Garlic Grits !!

Just saw this as a side to short ribs on Cooking with the Neely''s this morning.
(I love grits, but realize many people don''t know what they are!
2.gif
)

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
How about mashed potatoes.
Add a 1/2 cup of sour cream, some real bacon bits and top with cheddar cheese. Put the lid back on the kettle so the cheese can melt.

Or twice baked potatoes. cut baked potatoes in half. Scoop out the potato from the skin. Mash and mix in sour cream, real bacon bits. Place mashed potatoes back into skins. Top with cheddar cheese and place on a sheet back into oven to melt cheese.

Or............a 7-layer salad Yum!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Braised short ribs you say????????? My husband would love those
18.gif
Could you please post your recipe for them?????????????????????

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
If you don''t want to do a potato dish....carrots...there is a sweet and sour recipe that is pretty good

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 7:48:16 PM
Author: bebe
Roasted Garlic Grits !!

Just saw this as a side to short ribs on Cooking with the Neely''s this morning.
2.gif
)
That is so funny bebe.
I just saw that episode too. I was thinking of the spinach
dish they made with the bacon and garlic. I can''t wait to
try that one.
The Neely''s are just too cute together.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 11:19:20 AM
Author: phoenixgirl
Thanks for the tip, Lorelei.

You reminded me of a green bean and red pepper dish my husband and I made to bring to a dinner which got a lot of rave reviews. I think I'll bring that since I know it travels well.
You are most welcome!

I also do the veggie bake that Sharon mentioned. I cut potatoes, parsnips, peppers, mushrooms and onions into chunks, toss them in olive oil and bake them in a shallow dish in a hot oven along with some crushed garlic. They take about an hour or so, then when cooked sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper and grated parmesan. They do reheat well in the oven or you can nuke them.

If you want an easy way to make great creamy mashed ' taters then here is what I do.

Cut your potatoes into small chunks ( they cook faster) and boil, cook until soft. Drain the potatoes and add a generous knob of butter onto hot tater chunks and mash the butter in to also break up the potato pieces. Keep mashing until the potatoes are starting to get soft and fluffy. Microwave some milk ( for an average portion about third of a cup). Add some hot milk to the potatoes and mash it in, then once the milk has absorbed, switch to a hand whisk or KitchenAid if you have one. Whip the potatoes and add a little of the hot milk at a time carefully ( use a slow speed when adding to avoid splashing yourself). Whip until the potatoes are creamy and the texture you like, season and serve.

You can do a variation by putting the creamed potatoes into a shallow dish, smooth with a fork to give a textured pattern, then add knobs of butter to the surface and brown under the grill. Or you can use a piping bag as you would use for cupcakes, put the potato mix into that and pipe into swirls onto a greased baking sheet, bake until lightly brown and you have Duchesse potatoes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 7:48:16 PM
Author: bebe
Roasted Garlic Grits !!

2.gif
)
HI:

OHMIGOD that reminds me of that movie "My cousin Vinnie" where Joe Peci asks "what''s a grit? Halir!!!

cheers--Sharon

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
what did you decide to do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results