Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Side-by-side comparisons across vendors (photo thread)

123ducklings

Shiny_Rock
On another thread @Decision_Decisions asked me to compare my Lightbox and James Allen studs (brilliant idea!). I wanted to start a comparison thread so that we can see more side-by-side comparisons across vendors. If you’ve purchased lab diamonds from multiple vendors please post comparison shots with the diamond specs!

123ducklings

Shiny_Rock
Here we go! Let me first say that I should have cleaned the Lightbox studs (larger) before taking pics as the JA studs are fresh out of the box. Also, clearly the studs are set in yellow gold, which can impact the way we perceive color.

SPECS FROM VENDORS:
Lightbox studs (reset from two necklaces)
1ctw (0.5 per stud)
G-J
VS1-VS2
Very good cut

James Allen (two identical pairs shown)
0.5ctw per pair (0.25 per stud)
F-G
VS2-SL1
No cut info given

2F1161D6-603E-42CB-B126-EDC75BEB1839.jpeg 8F1872B7-F73A-4A7D-B343-816680214134.jpeg B0A3474C-5936-42F6-A419-CEEB825332A0.jpeg E92B7565-7BED-4E8A-9904-0F65C7DD007D.jpeg

Because they are different sizes it’s not quite an apples-to-apples comparison. To my eye the LB studs are a touch lower in color. It might just be that they need a good cleaning. I’d say the cut is about the same, not up to PS super ideal standards but plenty of sparkle for something fun at a great price. All the stones are eye clean. I would really love to see the JA 1ctw studs in person to compare to my LB pair. Final review: I bought them all on sale, I love them for what they are, I’d buy them again.

dizzyakira

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the review! They all look beautiful? Do you mind if I asked why you bought 2 pairs of the same earrings at James Allen? Is one a gift or do you plan on stacking them?

123ducklings

Shiny_Rock
Could you provide some commentary on the settings of the studs?
Sure! Anything specific you’d like to know? I ordered the standard basket settings with tension backings from JA. They are exactly as expected, nothing special but classic and reliable. I saw someone else posted that their JA martini settings were crooked. Mine are well set, and the tension backs are snug and secure. The Lightbox studs were originally necklaces that I had reset locally.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comparison pics, they all look great!

Yep, the posts on one of my pair of JA martini studs were not straight, but the other pair was perfect. Not sure what happened there. Otherwise I think the JA martini settings are nice!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for this comparison! The cut on your Lightbox studs look good, much better than the diamond I got from Lightbox last year. I think someone mentioned in the JA sale thread that lab diamonds they use for the studs are very good/excellent, so they’re definitely on a similar level in quality with Lightbox. :)

monipod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for this. I am picking up my .5ctw studs from JA this afternoon/tomorrow and now I'm really excited. The diamond quality looks pretty good as a pair I can wear day-to-day so I think they will be perfect.

I love the smaller set personally but the 1ctw studs look great on you!

123ducklings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for this. I am picking up my .5ctw studs from JA this afternoon/tomorrow and now I'm really excited. The diamond quality looks pretty good as a pair I can wear day-to-day so I think they will be perfect.

I love the smaller set personally but the 1ctw studs look great on you!
Thanks, and I’m excited for you! I love my 1ctw pair, but if I didn’t already have them I’d be thrilled with a JA 0.5ctw pair. They are a really incredible value.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this thread!

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Please do! I’d love a side-by-side review of all your MMD!

Anyone else who has tried a few vendors? @Buttercookies @anangel @mrsthirdcharms ? I’d love to hear comparisons!
Will do!!! I dont have any of their studs but I have several rings from With Clarity. They're quality is wonderful. My 0.86 mrb that has near perfect specs is from them.

Side note....got my ears pierced again today at a piercer. So now I have 4 holes per ear. The 1 ctw will be in the first holes, 0.50 ctw in the second and eventually both pairs of 0.25 ctw will be in the third and 4th.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    20th Anniversary Upgrade
    20th Anniversary Upgrade
    Horses for Courses: Polo Match Jewelry
    Horses for Courses: Polo Match Jewelry
    An Excellent K Color Graded Diamond
    An Excellent K Color Graded Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.