shape
carat
color
clarity

Sick, but I don''t know with what

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

I am hoping that some of the brilliant people on this forum may be able to help me out. I am 25 and take good care of myself, but recently I have been gaining weight. I started eating really well and nothing. So I started exercising more and nothing. At that point I just assumed I needed to exercise more and did so. It was like having mono all over again. I was tired immediately, even very moderate exercise makes my heart beat like crazy, and instead of getting more in shape, it got a lot worse every time I tried. For example, when I started biking to work last year, I hadn''t ridden my bike in years, but I rode the 4 1/2 miles in 35 minutes on mostly 5th gear. I tried last week, and it took me 45 minutes, a lot of stops and I spent it in 4th gear. Thinking I just needed to warm up, I did it 3 days later and it took me over an hour, my heart felt like I had run a marathon and I couldn''t do more than 3rd. My legs burned and it has NEVER been like that before. I thought on it and realized I never have energy and am always tired. I usually don''t sleep much but now I can sleep at all times and do.

I have been tested and am not pregnant, do not have mono and am not anemic. All they could find was really low blood pressure. I am going in for more tests, but nor for 2 weeks. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. I have been feeling off for a few months, but didn''t put it together until recently, but I really feel like when I had mono.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
get your thyroid gland checked out with a blood test.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Get thyroid and adrenals checked. This sounds exactly what happened to me when I began my journey with hypothyroidism. Also, what is your cholesterol level? My cholesterol is always higher than average when my thyroid is sluggish. As soon as I am on the appropriate dose of meds, my cholesterol goes down.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
thritto on the thyroid idea.. it''s fairly common and (fairly) easily treatable..

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Thyroid problems are one of the things I am looking at. I don''t have a family history which the most common forms usually do. I also read it is not usually associated with hypoglycemia, which I have.

I am also looking at toxoplasmosis which is actually pretty common and might explain some issues with my cat too.

I am just so glad to hear no one thinks I have terminal cancer or a serious autoimmune disorder that I need to get tested right away.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I''m also hypogylcemic. When the thyroid is depressed the adreanals in turn work harder. Some people that experience either of these issues are also hypogylcemic. It sounds like you are doing the right thing and going to the doctor. It could turn out to be nothing but eventually you will figure it out. I am not a doctor so I''m just giving you my experience and what I have been told by my fab. endocrinologist and my own research.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
If you see the doctor and your blood work turns out ok, ask for an exercise stress test to see what your heart is doing when you exercise, especially since you say your heart races, or at least an EKG.

Anything that affects your heart rate is serious, and getting it checked out asap is crucial. I speak from experience, when something weird came over me from out of nowhere and I ended up with 3rd degree heartblock .

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Thread jack- EM1 is your endocrinologist in manhattan? I''m looking for one and it is so hard to know where to start.

PS: Brazen irish hussy-I''ve actually had symptoms that sound exactly the same as yours over the past year. Down to what happens riding a bike! My average BP is 90/60 and has been for years. I notice the shakeyness and fatigue gets much more noticeable right before and during my period. Have you noticed any cyclic change?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first thought was Thyroid. Hope you get an answer soon, best of luck!!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2010 4:29:18 PM
Author: mayachel
Thread jack- EM1 is your endocrinologist in manhattan? I''m looking for one and it is so hard to know where to start.

PS: Brazen irish hussy-I''ve actually had symptoms that sound exactly the same as yours over the past year. Down to what happens riding a bike! My average BP is 90/60 and has been for years. I notice the shakeyness and fatigue gets much more noticeable right before and during my period. Have you noticed any cyclic change?
Yes, my doc is in Manhattan. Just research whomever you decide to go see. Many endo''s won''t treat borderline disorders so I looked for someone that would also do a TRH test. That should help you locate someone. I looked for someone that would help balance all my hormones not just my thyroid. What I did find though is that my adreanls were also taxed and my blood pressure was on the low side. Really impaced my ability to work out. I''m all good now but its been two years of treatment to get me back to normal. All the symptoms I started having ranged a 10 year span. Annoying.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
EM1-Are you willing to share the name of the practice? If not here, maybe you could PM me? Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
BIH, Would you mind posting an example menu of what you eat on a daily basis?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 2:33:38 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
BIH, Would you mind posting an example menu of what you eat on a daily basis?
Sure.
For breakfast I have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and a table spoon of jam on the sarah lee whole wheat white bread
For lunch, I have a steamed egg and a slice of American cheese on a lender''s wheat bagel
For dinner, I usually have either half an Amy''s pizza with mushrooms and olives or a can of double noodle chicken soup.
During the day, I drink a LOT of jasmine green tea with no milk and sugar.
If I need a snack, although I usually don''t, I eat a banana
After dinner I sometimes have either a glass of moscata D''asti wine or a 2 bite brownie or 4 spoonfuls of Ben and Jerry''s.

I am pretty consistent about what I eat and other than dinner, have the same thing everyday.

I have not been exercising other than taking a walk at lunch or weights at the gym because anything leaves me breathless and sore for days.

It is odd for me, because no matter how bad they live, both sides of my family stay really thin and other than this and a period when I was on a medication that made me gain weight I have weighed between 105-107 since middle school. When I was a competitive dancer or when I had mono, it stayed the same.

The doctor''s appointment is tomorrow so I really hope to do better, I am so tired of always being tired.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re still struggling so much - I hope your dr. can give you more information tomorrow. Please come back and let us know.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
So, I had 2 dozen tests done and everything came back normal, including thyroid, except for the blood protein, which was a bit low. I have borderline hypoglycimia so I always eat a lot of protein. This means that they are doing a urine test. If it is possitive for protien, which it almost certainly will be, something is off with my kidneys. The reason I know what the results will be is that I have been positive for fairly high protein in urine in every test I have taken since I was 14. Since nothing has seemed wrong with me, doctors always told me to ignore it. I will keep posting as I know, but it is not thryroid, which the doctor thought ot was until the tests came back.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
So when they checked all the follow up tests, they came back normal even though they did find protein. Now the doctor is telling me that she will not help me until I go to the dietitian because she can''t find anything wrong. I feel like I am being brushed off since obviously my exhaustion and shortness of breath is because I don''t eat enough lettuce. I am hoping to get a hormone test, but I hate that I have been totally blown off.

They checked my thyroid, sodium, protien and organ function, but did not find anything, any other ideas would be appreciated.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear all of that. Did you look up anything on adrenal fatigue? It''s not really a diagnosis per say however there are ways to support your adrenals that may help if it is adrenal related.

Also, there is so much unkown still about hormonal imbalances. I was brushed off for years from my primary care and a few endocrinologists when I mentioned that I thought I had a thyroid issue. At the higest my TSH measured at 5.0 which most mainstream doctors will argue is borderline Hypo. However my labs in previous years my TSH was a constant 2.5 When I finally found a doctor that was willing to do a TRH (google it) and treat a borderline disorder I sought their help. It has worked wonders for me. Additonally, she helps me with other hormonal imbalances (PMS) and I finally feel normal.

I don''t have a clue what is going on with your body per se but I always think it is good to seek out multiple doctors until you find someone that is willing to help you with whatever it is that is wrong.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, a few things. I don't think not having a medical diagnosis of it's THIS! is necessarily a bad thing. I think your doctor is making a good call with sending you to a nutritionist. While you joke about your fatigue being caused by not enough lettuce, so much of our general well being is related to our eating habits.

I think instead of adjusting your diet so you eat to lose weight, you should try and eat for nutrients and food. What you posted is quite low in protein, veggies and fruit. Maybe replace some of the carbs in your diet with different colors of F and V. Aim to eat at least three colors of the rainbow at every meal. Also aim to have one serving (3 oz) at each meal.

Good luck!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 7:40:54 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Okay, a few things. I don''t think not having a medical diagnosis of it''s THIS! is necessarily a bad thing. I think your doctor is making a good call with sending you to a nutritionist. While you joke about your fatigue being caused by not enough lettuce, so much of our general well being is related to our eating habits.

I think instead of adjusting your diet so you eat to lose weight, you should try and eat for nutrients and food. What you posted is quite low in protein, veggies and fruit. Maybe replace some of the carbs in your diet with different colors of F and V. Aim to eat at least three colors of the rainbow at every meal. Also aim to have one serving (3 oz) at each meal.

Good luck!
I would agree, but one, this is healthier than I used to eat and it continues to get worse. Even 2 years ago,I could step dance without pain,woke up after 8 hours and ate a large chocolate muffin for breakfast everyday and pasta for dinner most nights. I think that is part of what frustrates me, I do better and it gets worse.

Also, I eat this diet because I am borderline hypoglycemic, so I actually get 40-60 grams of protein a day.
I don''t eat more F and V because, one I don''t eat that much (I am small so I just don''t get that hungry) and don''t want to sub out the protein.
I also get sick if I eat anything spicy or high in plant toxins like asparagus, green beans, broccoli,etc, which is fairly limiting.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s great that you''ve had success adopting change into your eating habits but unfortunate that you''ve still not seen the level of results you expected.

Have you looked into wheat sensitivity or other food sensitivities? I see that a lot doesn''t agree with you. A sensitivity to wheat can cause symptoms that mimic and autoimmune disorder, such as arthritis, lethargy, weight gain, etc. It''s different from an allergy or an intolerance like Celiac disease (an autoimmune disorder caused by an intolerance to gluten in wheat, barley and rye). Usually to diagnose it you try an elimination diet where you don''t eat the suspected item for 2 weeks and see how you feel. If that doesn''t help, you move on to the next suspect. The usual culprits are wheat, dairy, soy, corn and eggs.

Once you get it under control you might find that your issues with other things like vegetables work themselves out. Different sections of the bowel do different things. For example the part that produces the enzyme that breaks down lactose is at the end of the villi in your small intestines. So when the villi are affected (by Celiacs, for example), you also have a secondary problem with milk. You might also discover that your blood sugar issues regulate once you''re able to bring in more complex carbs and less processed stuff. I''m sure what you''re doing now vs what you were doing/eating before has helped a lot, but it might just be step one in finding what really works for you.

You know your body best so if something is wrong, definitely seek help. But it sounds like your doctor was right in focusing on your diet first vs intervention with tests, procedures and medication. I hope you follow through and see the nutritionist.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I know that everyone here is really trying to help you figure out what is going on. I posted earlier, because much of what you have written happened to me. I have been an exerciser all my life , slender, and less than a year ago found that I started to have less energy, felt sleep deprived, and at times found that my blood pressure was pretty low. I didn't go to the doctor because I thought it was just a consequence of getting older (53). This went on for months until one day I found myself getting a little woozy. Never happened before. Not dizzy, but woozy, lasted on a coiple of minutes. Happened again, this time lasted longer. I tried to take my blood pressure with my cuff, but I couldn't get a reading. Couldn't find my pulse in my wrist. Did not pass out. But this was enough to scare me to see the doctor. So I did. All my tests were negative, EKG of the heart was fine. I pressed the doctor and he agreed to getting me a portable heart monitor to see if I could capture what was going on. Long story short because before I got to use the monitor, I had another episode and this time went to the ER. My heart rate was in the 30s and because I had no other problems (blood work, CAT Scan, echocardiogram, etc were all fine) the doctors were convinced I had contracted a virus that was causing my heart rate to drop. Those tests were negative and unfortunately while in the hospital I took a turn for the worse and my heart stopped several times which necessitated a pacemaker.

I am not saying this to scare you, but there is a reason why you are feeling the way you do. Everything with me checked out fine and then this happened. Write down all your symptoms and what are you doing when you feel like this . What is your heart rate? If it is low you can be suffering from bradycardia (slow heart rate) which can give you the symproms you describe. Some people can't get their heart rate up when they exercise. Your heart rate can vary throughout the day so when you feel bad see if you can take your own pulse. Mine was fine when I saw my doctor and had my tests done as well.

Hopefully this is not the case with you, but just want you to be informed. Google bradycardia and read about the symptoms and see if you think this applies to you. Sometimes it can be an easy fix, if the doctor knows what to look for. I do hope you find out soon what is going on and I wish you well.

ETA: just wanted to add that if the doctor doesn't want to give you a portable monitor, there are heart rate monitors that many athletes use ( I have one now too!) that utilizes a chest strap and wrist band that will monitor your heart rate while you exercise. You can even use it if you are not exercising... Timex makes a few and so does Polar and others that are under $60.00 US. Just a recommendation since I know you are probably frustrated about now.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I recently came across this site called "Cure Together" it is a free symptom tracker data base that might be useful to building a picture of what is going on for you.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I recently came across this site called curetogether.com it is a free symptom tracker data base that might be useful to building a picture of what is going on for you.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
So I met with the nutritionist today. We agreed to change my breakfast and add more veggies, but she did seem surprised I was gaining weight on my diet, especially since I am at 1300 calories a day. She thinks there may be something else wrong, but had no ideas. I left frustrated because I know I need to eat more veggies.

Afterwords, I went to give blood which I do every eight weeks since I am O-. They did the finger test and I came back anemic, which has never happened before. They thought it was a fluke and ran it again and again I came back anemic, so I could not donate. I don''t know what to think since I have never tested positive for anemia before and my problems started a year ago. I have left a message for the doctor and we will see from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results