shape
carat
color
clarity

SI vs. VS for a 2ct. round brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a ton from reading through posts and tutorials.

I am looking to purchase a stone between 1.8 - 2.3 carats. Based on what I have learned, I am inclined to get an ideal or super ideal cut and a G color. The big question that I''m left with is one of clarity.

Initially I was inclined to go for a VS2 clarity. I would consider an SI1 clarity, but am concerned about that being as I''m an amateur. Also, I was leaning towards purchasing online and so would not be in a position to see the stone before buying it.

What might I expect in an SI1 grade for a stone of this size?

If I look at the certificate map and see that the inclusions are off to the sides does that necessarily guarantee an eye-clean SI1?

What is the best way to ensure that an SI1 stone is eye-clean if you are only going from the reports?

Is a VS2 grade worth the extra price for a stone of this size?

Many questions, I know. I would appreciate any feedback!

Thank you.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The best way to go about it when you aren''t putting your own eyes on it is to work with a trusted vendor and ask them.

Make sure you understand their definition of eye-clean, and fully convey yours.

There is no reason you shouldn''t be able to get an eyeclean SI stone in that range. SEVERAL of the gals on here have 2+ ct. rings in the SI1/SI2 range that are eyeclean.

Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 12:24:36 PM
Author:bem3231
I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a ton from reading through posts and tutorials.

I am looking to purchase a stone between 1.8 - 2.3 carats. Based on what I have learned, I am inclined to get an ideal or super ideal cut and a G color. The big question that I''m left with is one of clarity.

Initially I was inclined to go for a VS2 clarity. I would consider an SI1 clarity, but am concerned about that being as I''m an amateur. Also, I was leaning towards purchasing online and so would not be in a position to see the stone before buying it.

What might I expect in an SI1 grade for a stone of this size?

If I look at the certificate map and see that the inclusions are off to the sides does that necessarily guarantee an eye-clean SI1?

What is the best way to ensure that an SI1 stone is eye-clean if you are only going from the reports?

Is a VS2 grade worth the extra price for a stone of this size?

Many questions, I know. I would appreciate any feedback!

Thank you.
Please, do NOT go by the plots. They are scary!
9.gif
And don''t give you a real idea of what is actually going on in terms of what is and isn''t visable. For that you need real eyes looking at the stone.

And ditto Alj. Just go with a reputable vendor.

IF you can find an eyeclean SI1, it''s absolutely worth the savings.
28.gif

mmhendrie

Rough_Rock
bem - I did my first online diamond ring purchase just under 2 weeks ago, and it vastly exceeded my expectations. I used exceldiamonds.com - they were excellent. I used their diamond search engine to narrow down to the stone I was most interested in. I''d done my research, but like you, was struggling with the VS2 vs. the SI1 grading. As I understand it, the VS gradings guarentee you won''t see any inclusions with the naked eye, and the SI1..you may, but may not. I''d recommend you give exceldiamonds a try. I contacted them about the diamond I was interested in, and the very next day, they sent me information on the diamond. They addressed my concerns on no naked eye defects by personally examining the stone, and telling me it was "eye clean", and also sent me actual photographs of the diamond - regular, under magnification, and under different lighting conditions. At the point I felt confident to make the purchase - they shipped free overnight, and give as standard a 10-day full money back satisfaction guarentee. My wife LOVES the ring! And I can''t walk through a mall without going into 2 or 3 ring stores and looking at smaller poor quality I2 rings, full of inclusions, that cost much more then I paid. The savings vs. that same stone at the big retails was in the thousands, and the buying experience with excel was one of the best shopping experiences of my life. Give them a look!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 12:43:02 PM
Author: Ellen

Please, do NOT go by the plots. They are scary!
9.gif
And don''t give you a real idea of what is actually going on in terms of what is and isn''t visable.
I cannot emphasize enough how important this comment is from Ellen.

Plots only map out where inclusions are; they can''t express to you how noticeable they are (or not!). Plots can look reeeeeeeeeeally nasty, and the stone can be totally eyeclean.

I''ve purchased five SI2 stones and 3 SI1 stones; all but one have been purchased through WF.....and all have been eyeclean and stunning.

Don''t rely on the plots; rely on the vendor to tell you what he sees.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I am the proud and happy owner of an AGS-0, 2.36 RB, SI2 clarity. It is totally, wonderfully eyeclean even under cloooooose scrutiny. Under the loupe I can see a few tiny wispies... so big deal with THAT!

Here''s a linkie with a BUNCH of pictures...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/

As long as they are eyeclean, I am a huge fan of SI clarity stones. My thinking is this... it lets me save money on what I cannot see and put it where I CAN see... namely, size, baby, SIZE!
31.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results