shape
carat
color
clarity

SI 1 vs SI3..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

renton12

Rough_Rock
Yet another newbie question...could someone please explain the differences between SI 1,2, and 3?

I have seen a gorgeous loose princess cut in hatton garden, london that is an SI1.

I also saw a gorgeous loose asscher cut which was a bit larger, but was an SI3.

I could not see any visible inclusions, or those ever so nasty carbon spots in either of them.

In another less impressive shop I saw an SI3, but I could see some spots and it looked a bit more of an I, than an SI.

Is it a really fine line between the SI3 and I1?

The 2 shops with the nice loose stones adhere to GIA and EGI.

Both jewelers are family owned, with great service reputations, and will refund no questions asked if I end up changing my mind, etc.

thanks for the help!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people would say that SI3 and I1 are one and the same.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:33:25 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Some people would say that SI3 and I1 are one and the same.
Ditto, only EGL labs use the SI3 grade, GIA and AGS which are the two top tier labs do not use this, their clarity grading below SI2 is I1. Also if you are looking at step cuts such as Asschers you may need to stick to higher clarities such as VS or above as these shapes can show inclusions more readily than rounds for example due to the more open faceting.

renton12

Rough_Rock

would i be better steering clear of egl and looking for gia (which is more difficult as i am based in europe)?

now i know why i never saw si3 in the usa!

would i really be better off waiting and getting a diamond in the usa? or would it be worth it to make a weekend trip to antwerp?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can find GIA...they call themselves the world's foremost authority, not the US's foremost authority.

nothing wrong with EGL if the price is fair.

I think most people would tell you to be wary of an SI3 that you couldn't see anything in...as it probably has expansive clouds that could diminish the performance of the diamond. It is one thing for an SI3/I1 to be eye-clean at a casual glance...I can believe that. But upon close inspection, I feel like you SHOULD be able to see something.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:55:37 PM
Author: renton12

would i be better steering clear of egl and looking for gia (which is more difficult as i am based in europe)?

now i know why i never saw si3 in the usa!

would i really be better off waiting and getting a diamond in the usa? or would it be worth it to make a weekend trip to antwerp?

GIA and AGS are the two premier labs as mentioned previously. EGL are considered to be softer on grading in some circumstances with EGL USA being the strongest of these labs. This page explains more on how the grading labs rank.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Antwerp is a possibility if you know where to shop, but if you want to try London then I suggest you contact Dr Indira Marchant at -

www.bestdiamonds.co.uk She is a very nice lady who also posts here and she might be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results