shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your jewelry boxes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a few threads on this, but most were a few years old. I''m sure there are plenty of newer PSers (myself, included) with jewelry boxes!

My jewelry box isn''t practical, but it''s dear to my heart. My great grandfather handmade jewelry boxes for my late grandma and her sisters sometime in the 1930''s. I have one of those boxes, though I don''t know if it''s my grandmas or her sister Gertrude''s. It''s a BEAR to clean and is perpetually dusty. The lining is falling out and I need to take some time to replace it... The varnish is also bubbling and cracking, but to be fair- it''s OLD!
1.gif
I use it every day and can''t wait to pass it along to a daughter/granddaughter for her to use, as well.

GsJBox1.jpg

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock

GsJBox3.jpg

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock

GsJBox4.jpg

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is boring but I LOVE it because it has a small travel box that pops out and it itself is portable. I have it in a deep black leather, its so rich.

sba771jbox.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I know others have seen this, but thought I'd add anyways, as I love my custom wood jewellery box made by Duncan's Woods (who I found through etsy.)

Earlier in the year, I had scanned *everywhere* on the internet for an elegant, functional wooden jewel box and come up with nix. So hopefully my posting in this thread may help others in the same situation..
Infact, I almost got scammed by a company in my process of searching! (there is a thread somewhere on the drama).
3.gif

I chanced upon Duncan through Etsy, and I believe now some other PS'ers have purchased his boxes too (ltl?!)..
The workmanship, design and finish is immaculate, and I love the mix of woods he uses.
They are lined and hinged to perfection and are also very functional. Plus the squares fit gem boxes perfectly
2.gif

My only regret is that I didn't get a larger one...I've outgrown this one in less than a year
40.gif

in fact, I may just request a version with more storage for Christmas
31.gif

Here's some vendor photos of the one I purchased - apologies, I had taken pics of the "real deal" on my dresser full of my belongings, but seem to have deleted them.

I am happy to re-take if a any members would like a more real life look, just ask.
5.gif

ppt of j box duncan aj.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
PPinkyMom, I love your wooden box and the sentiment/history behind it - what a great skill your grandfather exercised!

This is part of the reason I chose the type of box I did, I thought it would eventually make a special hand-me-down. I''m confident with an occasional waxing, it will last forever!
5.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont really have a jewelry box. I have this fear of having all my jewels (not many but what I have) all in one place so that if we get
robbed they just have to scoop up that box and go. I sort of have mine spread out in a few little boxes (or those roll up thingys) in
different drawers around the house. I''ve never been robbed and we dont live in a high crime area so I dont know where my fear
comes from
7.gif
. Having them stored this way also creates another fear of forgetting where I might have put something...so I''m not
sure what is the lesser of two evils??? Any recommendations?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 4:13:11 PM
Author:PilsnPinkysMom
I've seen a few threads on this, but most were a few years old. I'm sure there are plenty of newer PSers (myself, included) with jewelry boxes!

My jewelry box isn't practical, but it's dear to my heart. My great grandfather handmade jewelry boxes for my late grandma and her sisters sometime in the 1930's. I have one of those boxes, though I don't know if it's my grandmas or her sister Gertrude's. It's a BEAR to clean and is perpetually dusty. The lining is falling out and I need to take some time to replace it... The varnish is also bubbling and cracking, but to be fair- it's OLD!
1.gif
I use it every day and can't wait to pass it along to a daughter/granddaughter for her to use, as well.

What a wonderful heirloom!!

Have you tried dusting it with a dry paintbrush? Good for gently getting dust out of all those crevices.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen a few threads on this, but most were a few years old. I''m sure there are plenty of newer PSers (myself, included) with jewelry boxes!

My jewelry box isn''t practical, but it''s dear to my heart. My great grandfather handmade jewelry boxes for my late grandma and her sisters sometime in the 1930''s. I have one of those boxes, though I don''t know if it''s my grandmas or her sister Gertrude''s. It''s a BEAR to clean and is perpetually dusty. The lining is falling out and I need to take some time to replace it... The varnish is also bubbling and cracking, but to be fair- it''s OLD!
1.gif
I use it every day and can''t wait to pass it along to a daughter/granddaughter for her to use, as well.
What a great box.I never saw a box like this until an episode of Antiques Road Show.An appraiser told a guest that this style is called ''vagabond'' art or ''prison''art because it could be made from scraps of wood and was popular during the depression for the un-employed and also for prisoners to make while serving time.I understand that this type of art is collectable under the americana heading of collecting.I think it has real rustic charm.Please keep it in its original condition and dont replace the lining or re-varnish because it will de-value the piece!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 7:35:36 AM
Author: arjunajane
I know others have seen this, but thought I''d add anyways, as I love my custom wood jewellery box made by Duncan''s Woods (who I found through etsy.)

Earlier in the year, I had scanned *everywhere* on the internet for an elegant, functional wooden jewel box and come up with nix. So hopefully my posting in this thread may help others in the same situation..
Infact, I almost got scammed by a company in my process of searching! (there is a thread somewhere on the drama).
3.gif

I chanced upon Duncan through Etsy, and I believe now some other PS''ers have purchased his boxes too (ltl?!)..
The workmanship, design and finish is immaculate, and I love the mix of woods he uses.
They are lined and hinged to perfection and are also very functional. Plus the squares fit gem boxes perfectly
2.gif

My only regret is that I didn''t get a larger one...I''ve outgrown this one in less than a year
40.gif

in fact, I may just request a version with more storage for Christmas
31.gif

Here''s some vendor photos of the one I purchased - apologies, I had taken pics of the ''real deal'' on my dresser full of my belongings, but seem to have deleted them.

I am happy to re-take if a any members would like a more real life look, just ask.
5.gif
I think ive met the man who makes these boxes!
9.gif
I was at an art show in Jackson Hole,Wyoming last summer and I looked at several of his boxes.They are really beautiful and the quality is very high!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 12:31:18 PM
Author: tyty333
I dont really have a jewelry box. I have this fear of having all my jewels (not many but what I have) all in one place so that if we get
robbed they just have to scoop up that box and go. I sort of have mine spread out in a few little boxes (or those roll up thingys) in
different drawers around the house. I''ve never been robbed and we dont live in a high crime area so I dont know where my fear
comes from
7.gif
. Having them stored this way also creates another fear of forgetting where I might have put something...so I''m not
sure what is the lesser of two evils??? Any recommendations?
I don''t have an official jewelry box, either. Instead I use the original boxes and they''re scattered around my room. My dh did give me a beautiful box, but that contains all the jewelry that belonged to my mom. Mostly my smaller diamond pendants and stud earrings, plus oddballs like garnet studs, that I rarely wear.

Yesterday, my pumpkins were stolen, so for all I know my diamonds are next!
6.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my jewelry armoire from my FI a year ago for xmas - I LOVE IT! it is amazing - there are compartments for everything! Mine looks just like this, but in black.

jewleryboxxms.jpg

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I've seen a few threads on this, but most were a few years old. I'm sure there are plenty of newer PSers (myself, included) with jewelry boxes!

My jewelry box isn't practical, but it's dear to my heart. My great grandfather handmade jewelry boxes for my late grandma and her sisters sometime in the 1930's. I have one of those boxes, though I don't know if it's my grandmas or her sister Gertrude's. It's a BEAR to clean and is perpetually dusty. The lining is falling out and I need to take some time to replace it... The varnish is also bubbling and cracking, but to be fair- it's OLD!
1.gif
I use it every day and can't wait to pass it along to a daughter/granddaughter for her to use, as well.
Your beautiful box is Tramp Art, and is highly collectible. It is lovely, and even more special since your great grandfather made it.
They were usually made from cigar boxes. I think that yours is later though. Was your family from Germany?

Tramp Art

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Nice jewelry boxes, all- and they''re all so very different! I love it!

tyty: Hm, sounds like the fear may be unfounded, but I can''t say I know how to get over it? Can you *hide* a jewelry box somewhere? Get a box and put it in a safe? That way everything is stored neatly in one place but it''s unlikely someone would find it in the event of a burglary?

glitterata: Paintbrush. Need to try that.

Jewelerman: Thanks for insight on my jewelry box.... I don''t think i''d ever revarnish, but I may glue the part of the lining that''s falling out... This wouldn''t devalue the piece, would it?

iluvcarats: Oh goodness! Thanks SO much for that link- I can''t wait to share it with my father (the box was his mom''s). That is so, so, so awesome. And yes- my great grandparents (the Kesslers) were German immigrants!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
A Bit of a Threadjack:

After reading iluv''s response, I did a bit of research about tramp art and came across an artist/collector that does free "appraisals" via e-mail, just for those that have tramp art pieces and are curious. I was interested to see whether or not my box was made from a cigar box, so I tugged around on the loose lining. I found out that the lining wasn''t even affixed to the box- it was just made to fit snugly (fabric glued to cardboard). I pulled up the bottom cushion hoping to see a cigar company name but what did I find?

Two sweet little hand-embroidered pennants with my grandparent''s first name. Hers in red: "Edna" and his in blue "Frank" with ivory embroidery. There was also an address label (I''m not sure if this is what it actually is...) with my great grandparents names, "Mr & Mrs. F Kessler" with what looks like an address... And also two 1885 Morgan dollar coins! How cool!
1.gif

If it wasn''t for this random thread & especially iluv''s reply, I never would have found these treasures. It was like a little piece of my grandparents that I miss oh so much. It sounds silly, but I really can''t thank you enough
4.gif
5.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 1:53:21 AM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
A Bit of a Threadjack:

After reading iluv''s response, I did a bit of research about tramp art and came across an artist/collector that does free ''appraisals'' via e-mail, just for those that have tramp art pieces and are curious. I was interested to see whether or not my box was made from a cigar box, so I tugged around on the loose lining. I found out that the lining wasn''t even affixed to the box- it was just made to fit snugly (fabric glued to cardboard). I pulled up the bottom cushion hoping to see a cigar company name but what did I find?

Two sweet little hand-embroidered pennants with my grandparent''s first name. Hers in red: ''Edna'' and his in blue ''Frank'' with ivory embroidery. There was also an address label (I''m not sure if this is what it actually is...) with my great grandparents names, ''Mr & Mrs. F Kessler'' with what looks like an address... And also two 1885 Morgan dollar coins! How cool!
1.gif

If it wasn''t for this random thread & especially iluv''s reply, I never would have found these treasures. It was like a little piece of my grandparents that I miss oh so much. It sounds silly, but I really can''t thank you enough
4.gif
5.gif

My pleasure! What a sweet story
5.gif
I am guessing that your great GF made it for your great GM as a wedding present. Please keep us posted!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh, PilsnPinkysMom...that is an old world treasure! It's magical! Wow. Very special! The lining is beautiful.

I love the other modern boxes and dressers here, too.

MC, NOOOOOOOOO! Your pumpkins were stolen???

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I have this one... it has a mirror on the front and it''s FABULOUS! Best jewelry box i''ve ever had. It has these bars with notches that you hang your earrings on, places for bracelets, hooks for necklaces, space for like a hundred rings. I love it!

522418.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results