shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your chrome tourmaline?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!

Came across some chrome tourmaline online that piqued my interest and would like some advice on chrome tourmaline like:
- what to look out for
- what’s considered a good chrome tourmaline (color, size, origin, etc)
- what’s a reasonable price for chrome tourmaline

If anyone has pics that’s much appreciated too.

Lots of the ones I see online seem quite dark to me, so wondering what’s the charm for chrome tourmaline and what makes chrome tourmaline attractive apart from rarity? Or does it really look much better in real life?

Is there already a thread for chrome tourmaline? I tried looking but didn’t find any dedicated one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Avoid very dark stones, and if you like green tourmaline, I would look for the best colored green tourmaline I could find/afford. It doesn’t necessarily have to contain chromium. To be honest, I do not see much chrome tourmaline on this site. Most people seem to rather own a nice tsavorite instead.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Avoid very dark stones, and if you like green tourmaline, I would look for the best colored green tourmaline I could find/afford. It doesn’t necessarily have to contain chromium. To be honest, I do not see much chrome tourmaline on this site. Most people seem to rather own a nice tsavorite instead.

Is this considered too dark?
490F7DF3-8287-4B8A-961F-82FF57188A74.jpeg 74263F83-1B88-4F34-848C-26790CEFBC12.jpeg

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't say so, there are chrome tourmaline with a yellowish green colour, almost like olive oil, yours may seem to have a teeny tiny drop of blue, but it is probably just the pics. Personally I really like the ring, classic and elegant look :kiss2:
Of course it can be darker IRL depending on how flattering the pics were taken to be

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is held to the same standard of Green as emeralds are & does not quite get there in terms of saturation, even before the inevitable dichroism is taken into account.

The nicest green tourmaline are cuprian - a cheap cousin of Paraiba www

2p

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It is held to the same standard of Green as emeralds are & does not quite get there in terms of saturation, even before the inevitable dichroism is taken into account.

The nicest green tourmaline are cuprian - a cheap cousin of Paraiba www

2p

But the price isn’t cheap! :eek2:
This little stone is only a bit cheaper than the ring I’m looking at.

Reactions: AV_

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't say so, there are chrome tourmaline with a yellowish green colour, almost like olive oil, yours may seem to have a teeny tiny drop of blue, but it is probably just the pics. Personally I really like the ring, classic and elegant look :kiss2:
Of course it can be darker IRL depending on how flattering the pics were taken to be

I suspect darker as I’ve been reading that larger chrome tourmalines tend to be dark...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The pictures of the ring are confusing - too much contrast or exposure or bright light, enough to wash off details of the setting, and the stone is still dark.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
a cheap cousin of Paraiba www
> cheap
> 22k +
Dude what kind of job do you have that makes you consider 22k cheap :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :shock:

I'd say less expensive, definitely not cheap, there are of course affordable, lower quality stones

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrome diopside would be a much less expensive alternative to that ring, as they’re also a dark bottle green and have a low RI like tourmaline. I forget their hardness, but tourmaline isn’t the most durable gem either.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Quick Google search:

Chrome diopside 5.5/6.5
Tourmaline 7/7.5

For a ring I would go with tourmaline, the diopside seems way too prone to scratches and chipping only looking at Mohs scale, but it might work with an appropriate and "protective" setting :think:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It almost looks like the girdle is chipped. What draws you to the ring? It looks very dark from the pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results