shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Chuppah and ketubah! Especially if any of you made your own! My mom is doing both and isn''t quite sure how to tackle these projects as they are out of the norm and nothing like she has done before. I have a few ideas, but nothing major planned yet. Thank you!

Any other traditional Jewish items are welcome too! I am also making H''s tallit and having my kippah/veil made for me.
36.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My chuppah will look something like this but with our flower scheme. I didn't want it to detract or overwhelm our space. I don't have our ketubah planned yet. My mom will have this artist http://www.kavanahcards.com/judaica/betsy make us a custom one. She made/designed my brothers' and my bar/bat mitzvah invites and they were all unique pieces of art. She doesn't really do custom work anymore but thank goodness for family friends! I have no clue though as to what I want. It will probably incorporate our Hebrew names somehow, that is how she based my bat mitzvah invitation. She took the hebrew meaning of my name- song- and then found a nice passage from the torah using my name and went from there.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
and the picture i forgot

Chuppahsaes.jpg

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
sba -- Our ketubah was by Betsy Teutsch as well. She''s extremely talented and very nice - and was great to work with.
This was ours.

And our chuppah:

bigtchuppah.jpg

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies!

sba771 - I like tho flowing feel of your chuppah and the flowers. And yes it must be nice having that kind of family friend!

TheBigT - I like the natural elements of your chuppah. It must be a small world for you both to have had your ketubot made by her. She does beautiful work!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Shameless bump! Anyone else? Lilac? I don''t know which other brides may have these items. Thank you1

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could have one--does that count?
3.gif
I love the symbolism and how pretty they are!

ETA: Wrote that about the chuppah but it's true enough for the ketubah as well.
1.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/5/2009 2:46:00 AM
Author: sba771
My chuppah will look something like this but with our flower scheme. I didn''t want it to detract or overwhelm our space. I don''t have our ketubah planned yet. My mom will have this artist http://www.kavanahcards.com/judaica/betsy make us a custom one. She made/designed my brothers'' and my bar/bat mitzvah invites and they were all unique pieces of art. She doesn''t really do custom work anymore but thank goodness for family friends! I have no clue though as to what I want. It will probably incorporate our Hebrew names somehow, that is how she based my bat mitzvah invitation. She took the hebrew meaning of my name- song- and then found a nice passage from the torah using my name and went from there.
Shira is a beautiful name. You are so lucky to have a family friend who is able to help.

I just finished a Torah class with a woman who is hand making and embroidering a silk bag to hold the glass for her son to step on. She has did this for her own wedding and is now doing it for each of her kids. The Rabbi will have to inspect the glass before she can finish closing it.
Beautiful idea.

I think I''ll take a bit of this idea and combine with another. I''d love to send the broken glass to have it turned into a piece of artwork. There is a company out there (I''ll try to find it and post more details) that takes the pieces and makes a mezuzah for your new home together. Or they can incorporate them in a menorah. Or put it in some sort of plastic slightly reassembled to form a glass or a tree.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Stop- you are making me jealous!

I am in the UK. I''m Jewish, DF isn''t. Over here our Rabbi won''t bless the wedding at all. We are having a civil ceremony and you can''t have anything religious at all in the ceremony. I''d love a ketubah, a good ol'' glass smashing and a chuppah!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t find the place I was thinking of for the broken glass art. Found a bunch of others when I did a search for it. Just use Google or whatever to search for broken wedding glass mezuzah.

Lots of options. From reasonably priced to elaborate. And much in between.

I need a long engagement. At least one year. That way I can buy stuff and build it up for the wedding and maybe he won''t add up the receipts.

So many pretty things out there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 4:10:52 PM
Author: SapphireLover

I am in the UK. I''m Jewish, DF isn''t. Over here our Rabbi won''t bless the wedding at all. We are having a civil ceremony and you can''t have anything religious at all in the ceremony. I''d love a ketubah, a good ol'' glass smashing and a chuppah!
Ok, I know what a chuppah is but what is a ketubah? Is that the bag? that holds the glass?

ilovesparkles - have you googled around on the web to see if there are any DIY sites for chuppahs and ketubahs? I''m sure there
has to be some sites out there that can help your Mom.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty--A ketubah is a Jewish marriage contract. The bride and groom typically sign it with a rabbi prior to the actual ceremony.

Here''s a picture of DH signing our ketubah. We commissioned Israeli artist Izzy Pludwinski to create it for us after I fell in love with his ketubot on his website.

Havensketubahpassssssadfaewf.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a not-so-great shot of our ketubah all framed. I wanted a big frame so we could hang it alone on a wall in our living room. I really adore it; it''s the only original work of art we have in our home right now! (Not counting the stuff I made to hang up until we fine something better.)

havensketubahframedpsafwef.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here's our chuppah. My mom dyed the silk and my father made the posts, so I really didn't have any input into it. I can't say that I love the actual design, as the posts look a bit traditional for me, but it was so special that they made it for us.
My family donated it to our synagogue after our wedding because the one they have is sooooo ugly.

(And I apologize for the horrible photo. Our photographer was so awful that we didn't purchase one photo of our wedding. We don't even have an album.)

Havenschupahpsaeragdv.jpg

katomm

Shiny_Rock
We''re not having either, since I''m not Jewish we''re just incorporating certain aspects into our ceremony to acknowledge his religion and family. He will break the glass and we''ll have it made into a mezuzah. There is a seller on etsy that does this. Other than that I''m not wearing any jewelry and I will stand on his right side.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sparkles,
We ordered our ketubah from ketubah.com and my aunt painted flowers from our garden on it. You can pick the text and it comes on watercolor paper. If you like, photos of the ketubah and chuppah are here link I made a bag for the lightbulb (breaking glass sounds best with a lightbulb and doesn''t harm feet/shoes like a wineglass could) out of our grandmothers'' hankies. Also, if you are doing the hora, make sure that the chairs are not fragile or folding...I''ve seen a few brides get dropped and a few chivari chairs break under the stress. Oh, and you might want to get a little bottle of white kosher wine for the ceremony just in case...red wine and white dresses made me nervous. Oh, we discovered that ushers could not also simultaneously be ketubah signers and Rabbi was awesome and brought nice pens, you might want to bring your own. You might want to practice in Hebrew beforehand if it isn''t your native language. We really liked the yalmukes from Greenfelds, lots of color and texture choices. Can''t think of anything else now, but so excited to see more Jewish wedding photos! My favorite photos from our night were from the chairs...too many faces to post here, but it was just wonderful fun to see all our friends and family whirling around together! Hoping that your wedding is wonderful and your marriage even better!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 4:10:52 PM
Author: SapphireLover

Awww, I''m sorry dear! I can''t think of the name right now, but it''s almost like a ketubah but without all the signatures. Basically a piece of artwork in the same form of a ketubah, with much of the same info and symbolism, but without the signatures. Ugh, I spent over an hour looking without luck. Sigh. Just a thought.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Gwen - You could always just have or construct a wedding canopy to get married under?

TooPatient - Thank you, I do know exactly what you are talking about. Can''t think of the name that is most common, famous Jewish artist, grrrr. I have some bookmarked.

Tyty333 - Haven''t much. Make it yourself ketubah are less common I think. The chuppah we aren''t terribly worried about. My biggest concern is having it sag in the middle. And making sure the posts at the synagogue don''t look horrid with it.

Haven - Thank you so much! I love your chuppah! Dyed silk huh. I can''t believe your donated the whole thing! Like one of my BMs, I am going to turn our chuppah into a canopy over our bed one day. Many people I know use a tallit that then becomes their tallit for high holydays.

Katomm - Etsy seller that does this. Duh! Why did I not think to look here.
20.gif
Sheesh! Thank you dear!

Swimmer - Thank you! I love seeing pictures! I love your ketubah, it looks fabulous! One of the concerns I have with this is most DIY pre-printed scripts have only two places for witnesses and we are having 4. My rabbi and his crazy egalitarian ideas! It can''t just be two men because what about the women. And it can''t be one man and one woman because halachah says there has to be two men. So you can conclude the obvious answer. Sigh. White wine, fabulous tip! Chairs, we will use the ugly ones at our synagogue since we can''t afford anything else, but they are good and sturdy. Not sure we can afford a big enough wedding for a hora.
7.gif
But I am praying! I have heard the comment about the lightbulb, I think for us, we need the symbolism behind using the actual glass afterwards. Another one of my BMs, her groom practically killed the glass because he had heard they were hard to break sometimes. The action was hysterical! Thank you for the wonderful tips and the link to your photos! I love looking through the ceremonial aspects!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 4:06:10 PM
Author: TooPatient
Date: 9/5/2009 2:46:00 AM

Author: sba771

Shira is a beautiful name. You are so lucky to have a family friend who is able to help.

I just finished a Torah class with a woman who is hand making and embroidering a silk bag to hold the glass for her son to step on. She has did this for her own wedding and is now doing it for each of her kids. The Rabbi will have to inspect the glass before she can finish closing it.

Beautiful idea.

I think I'll take a bit of this idea and combine with another. I'd love to send the broken glass to have it turned into a piece of artwork. There is a company out there (I'll try to find it and post more details) that takes the pieces and makes a mezuzah for your new home together. Or they can incorporate them in a menorah. Or put it in some sort of plastic slightly reassembled to form a glass or a tree.

Thank you
1.gif

This is the ketubah that my BIL had, in person it is stunning. I was really impressed and looks so great on their wall. http://www.mpartworks.com/product.php?productid=goldenstrands
For the broken glass artwork a lot of people use Shards, but personally I am in love with anything and everything by Rosenthal. We will use his glass and then get a mezzuzah made from it.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
bumping this!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 5:35:01 PM
Author: Haven
tyty--A ketubah is a Jewish marriage contract. The bride and groom typically sign it with a rabbi prior to the actual ceremony.

Here''s a picture of DH signing our ketubah. We commissioned Israeli artist Izzy Pludwinski to create it for us after I fell in love with his ketubot on his website.
Thanks Haven - your ketubah is very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results