shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your "seed pearls" jewellery!

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock
Seed pearls frequently come up when I browse antique Victorian jewellery, but I actually have two pieces that have stories behind them! Curious to see what everyone else has.

1) The larger piece on my middle finger is a piece I found in Dubai. I am a lawyer and was in the Middle East doing a human rights and corruption review of a large pharma company and wanted to buy something special for myself because it happened to be a week before my wedding and since I was called last minute to the trip, I had to forego all my fittings/tastings/other pre-wedding fun. It is 22k gold (they love that stuff over there!) and made up of lots of tiny Bahraini seed pearls knitted together. There's an enamel motif in the middle as well. I love the dangly pearl clusters.

2) On my index finger is an 18k rose gold "twig" wrapping around a tiny pearl. We were celebrating my husband's birthday at one of those NO2 restaurants and were enjoying our oysters, and he literally spat out this tiny pearl! We thought it was a dodgy oyster at first, but upon inspection I found the whole episode so hilarious that I had a ring made out of it (totally overkill I know).

seed pearls.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seed pearls frequently come up when I browse antique Victorian jewellery, but I actually have two pieces that have stories behind them! Curious to see what everyone else has.

1) The larger piece on my middle finger is a piece I found in Dubai. I am a lawyer and was in the Middle East doing a human rights and corruption review of a large pharma company and wanted to buy something special for myself because it happened to be a week before my wedding and since I was called last minute to the trip, I had to forego all my fittings/tastings/other pre-wedding fun. It is 22k gold (they love that stuff over there!) and made up of lots of tiny Bahraini seed pearls knitted together. There's an enamel motif in the middle as well. I love the dangly pearl clusters.

2) On my index finger is an 18k rose gold "twig" wrapping around a tiny pearl. We were celebrating my husband's birthday at one of those NO2 restaurants and were enjoying our oysters, and he literally spat out this tiny pearl! We thought it was a dodgy oyster at first, but upon inspection I found the whole episode so hilarious that I had a ring made out of it (totally overkill I know).

seed pearls.jpg
I love that seed pearl ring with the dangles! LOVE!! What a great piece!
I have a seed pearl, 22k necklace which my grandmother made around 100 years ago. Will post a picture.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so here is the necklace which she made. I had this frame laser welded to the back because the wires which tied the pearls to the frame were scratchy. Now it’s lifted off of the skin so that it’s comfortable.
AB4B280D-B598-49DF-944C-37B391C72E7D.jpeg
DBCB2C14-421E-408B-B1FF-DAB73964BDE5.jpeg

And, I’ve long wanted to buy some earrings like these to go with it.

64BBD591-0B8B-4C5C-8A05-8DBAEFC34641.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
201C283D-7741-41D7-9B37-BA6A56BDA566.jpeg
These are not seed pearls, but I adore high carat gold with little pearls in general, especially with filigree work. Forgive the old picture...the pearl pin/pendant and earrings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2E894B78-14D3-4B00-AEF0-076BCEFD6006.jpeg C476DE50-25A7-4492-BE3C-0A18F3923780.jpeg I also have this necklace with tiny, freshwater keshi pearls, high karat gold and lavender broilet sapphires. I wear pendantswith this necklace often. These pics are really not the best as there is very little light, but they have a very gentle, soft and whispering look/feel to them.

What I love about seed pearls is the way that they can be used. They can be used to create a structure by weaving them together, and they create an atmosphere of delicacy and freshness.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

seed pearls.jpg

Wow, the backstory to that tiny pearl ring is the best thing ever!!
How precious! I'm also a little biased because that is totally something that I would do.
& your ring from Dubai has such a petite and feminine elegance about it despite its presence!

& for you @Bluegemz , This is my second time seeing your beautiful intricately made necklace, and I swear I will never tire of seeing that beauty! It's just a piece which shows that it was crafted with a loving intent, you can see it at first glance. Besides a stunning blue green emerald ring (You know me! ;))), I cannot think of something more amazing to have from a relative, that was literally made from their own two hands. I'm sure it will be a difficult decision on which daughter to give the piece to eventually. I'd say that the situation almost requires you to purchase matching earrings AND a ring, that way you have something for all of your girls! :kiss2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How precious! I'm also a little biased because that is totally something that I would do.
& your ring from Dubai has such a petite and feminine elegance about it despite its presence!

& for you @Bluegemz , This is my second time seeing your beautiful intricately made necklace, and I swear I will never tire of seeing that beauty! It's just a piece which shows that it was crafted with a loving intent, you can see it at first glance. Besides a stunning blue green emerald ring (You know me! ;))), I cannot think of something more amazing to have from a relative, that was literally made from their own two hands. I'm sure it will be a difficult decision on which daughter to give the piece to eventually. I'd say that the situation almost requires you to purchase matching earrings AND a ring, that way you have something for all of your girls! :kiss2:
I love that you ‘see’ the soul in jewelry! Thank you! I last visited my grandmother in 1991 when I visited her in a an elderly community living home in a different state, ( I rarely saw her because of the distance) . She had a nice apartment therein. I still remember when she brought it out and gave it to me. It was her senior project in a jewelry school as a young woman. She mentioned that she had to rush to finish it. That was the last time I saw her as she passed a year later.

I loved it but never wore it because of how scratchy it was. It bothered me over the decades having it in the box, so I finally figured out a solution to making it comfortable without having to redo the wires and pearls. Just 2 years ago is when I had the frames for all of the parts of it attached.

It really does need matching pieces as it has a unique texture and color to it, basically muted, soft gold with patina, and a light, frothy look because of the pearls. Nothing I have goes well with it, even just gold earrings, or pearl earrings. I will eventually buy some matching earrings for it, so it can be passed as a set, which would make it even more wearable. I imagine such a set would be great on Summer nights, black dress, Spanish inspired!

Sadly, none of my daughters has shown much interest in it yet, but maybe as they mature? Then there is my son. I want to pass things to him too for his future family. He appreciates the inherent value of hand work and the value of histories.

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock
Ok, so here is the necklace which she made. I had this frame laser welded to the back because the wires which tied the pearls to the frame were scratchy. Now it’s lifted off of the skin so that it’s comfortable.
AB4B280D-B598-49DF-944C-37B391C72E7D.jpeg
DBCB2C14-421E-408B-B1FF-DAB73964BDE5.jpeg

And, I’ve long wanted to buy some earrings like these to go with it.

64BBD591-0B8B-4C5C-8A05-8DBAEFC34641.jpeg

LOVE how you have your grandmother's antique piece and that it's 22k gold! I just read your post about how your grandmother made it herself, that's amazing. There is literally so much meaning in that, I just know someone in your family will love to have it, either your son (and it might have to be his daughter or son!) but it will be loved and cherished.

And yes those earrings are a perfect match.

Last edited:

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock
201C283D-7741-41D7-9B37-BA6A56BDA566.jpeg
These are not seed pearls, but I adore high carat gold with little pearls in general, especially with filigree work. Forgive the old picture...the pearl pin/pendant and earrings.

Amazing filigree work!

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock

It's also a funny story to tell people when they ask about my strange looking twig ring with the tiny white dot on it. My jeweller was baffled at first, "that 'pearl' you have there isn't even worth 2 cents!" But they gladly took the job.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @whiteanvil ! Are you going to keep collecting seed pearls to go with your lovely pieces?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's also a funny story to tell people when they ask about my strange looking twig ring with the tiny white dot on it. My jeweller was baffled at first, "that 'pearl' you have there isn't even worth 2 cents!" But they gladly took the job.
I get it...value is really defined in so many ways. I spent once a few thousand on a hand made setting for a nephrite jade beach pebble which my husband found. The jewelerly artist was surprised by this, but eventually understood why.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such lovely pieces posted her. When I see seed pearl jewelry I always think antique and romantic. That is the lovely feeling I get when viewing seed pearls.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Such lovely pieces posted her. When I see seed pearl jewelry I always think antique and romantic. That is the lovely feeling I get when viewing seed pearls.

Yes exactly Lisa! That is exactly what they give off! ❤

I get it...value is really defined in so many ways. I spent once a few thousand on a hand made setting for a nephrite jade beach pebble which my husband found. The jewelerly artist was surprised by this, but eventually understood why.

& Blue, is there any way that we may see this sentimental jadeite pebble ring? :mrgreen2: It sounds so interesting! Also, I dont know much about jadeite or jade but I had no idea that they could be found along the beach? The other day I was cleaning up trash with a volunteer group by the railroad tracks and noticed .5" tiny very clear, clear quartz crystals in the gravel. Boy did it take every ounce to wait until we we're finished to dig for them! I got about 80 when I left haha

Also, Ive debated upon setting some cabochons that I have known aren't awesome quality in higher quality settings but the sentimentality hasnt ever been there. I think that's what makes your ring and the ops ring so special, even if they're not so grand in quality, the memory that it represents makes the piece irreplaceable and therefore high quality in your own eyes. So lovely!

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock
Also, Ive debated upon setting some cabochons that I have known aren't awesome quality in higher quality settings but the sentimentality hasnt ever been there. I think that's what makes your ring and the ops ring so special, even if they're not so grand in quality, the memory that it represents makes the piece irreplaceable and therefore high quality in your own eyes. So lovely!

Maybe an Etsy jeweller can do something fun and simple?

Also lol about the quartz! What are you going to do with them?

whiteanvil

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, @whiteanvil ! Are you going to keep collecting seed pearls to go with your lovely pieces?
I actually don't really know where to buy seed pearl pieces apart from antique resellers! And nearly everything from those eras seem to be made of 10k gold which I tend to be allergic to, perhaps the nickel content...

Might have to make my own!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very small pearls are increasingly hard to find these days. Both rounds and half pearls, which were often used in seed pearl jewellery. Matching the new with the old is yet another problem though a good clean of the old pearls often surprises
And yes, probably the nickel content is causing you problems Whiteanvil. Look for jewellery made with precious metal which meets European metal content regulations and you'll be fine (nickel is pretty much banned from anything which contacts skin)

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

seed pearls.jpg
I love both rings and the stories! Thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results