shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your promise rings!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I know there are mixed feelings out there about promise rings, but one of the threads in RockyTalky had me thinking fondly about mine and I decided I want to see y’all’s! However small or silly...post pics and tell me the story :)

My husband bought me this little amethyst and CZ ring in silver off of Etsy (vendor’s picture) for my 25th birthday and I happily wore it until we were engaged, at which point he presented me with a sapphire and diamond (and larger!) version. I keep this one safely stored away in my jewelry box - it’s not expensive but it remains one of my most treasured pieces.

Attachments

• 8914972F-9508-4035-BA7F-0166B32BDB7A.jpeg
    8914972F-9508-4035-BA7F-0166B32BDB7A.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 274

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
My high school boyfriend gave me one that looked like this. It‘s identical, but I’m pretty sure the one he bought was from Zales.

I wore it until we broke up at the end of our junior year of college. I really loved that ring, but didn’t wear it again. I’m sure I would have kept it out of sentimentality, but it was stolen from my apartment a couple years later.
I’ve thought about buying this one, just because I’d like to have what was one of my first “real” pieces of jewelry. (Actually, I’m sure it was my first diamond) But decided that would be a little too weird since it was connected to the old boyfriend and there are no lingering feelings for him.

I do hope that if my daughter ends up with a dainty diamond ring like this, it comes from her father and me instead of some boy ;)2

Attachments

• F8F7BC8F-59BC-4FB6-A602-20D344567811.jpeg
    F8F7BC8F-59BC-4FB6-A602-20D344567811.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 39

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask what a promise ring is for? It's not something I have heard of - it's not something we have in the UK. Is it a gift a boyfriend buys for the girlfriend, and for what purpose?

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
May I ask what a promise ring is for? It's not something I have heard of - it's not something we have in the UK. Is it a gift a boyfriend buys for the girlfriend, and for what purpose?

When my high school boyfriend gave it to me, it was a, “I promise to marry you someday, but right now we’re 17 and that’s too young to be engaged.”

I think it was also a little bit of a, “Two of my friends just go their girlfriends a promise ring, so that seems to be the thing to do...” kind of ring.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a promise to get engaged and married in the future.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ours were a little offbeat as they were handmade in sterling and it was an equal effort, meaning he got a promise band as well. Both are hammered oxidized sterling silver, stamped on the inside with something sweet and mine was set with a small black diamond. Yes, I purchased his, and he purchased mine. (:

The maker of them made the little upside down emerald stacker and threw it in. Hes a super kind Man.
I dont wear it much these days but Im ultra found of our set as it represents so much. I will never get rid of either.

Screenshot_2019-11-08-17-06-55~2.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think promise rings are adorable
i love that @jbake that your daughter's ring will come from her mom and dad
and @sydneyatl have you thought about wearing your promise ring as a pinky ?
i brought my own self a promise ring - well i didn't know it was marketed as a pinky ring - i just liked it. its a teeny blue saphire

my dastest other half just isnt into giving jewlery - after 19 years and about 3 weeks together i have once got some nice gold earings i picked out myself - i would be over the moon receiving a promise ring because we are obviously never getting married but we are obviously with each other
20190415_110751.jpg
this is one i really wanted him to buy me but we had a big domestic that week so i brought it myself
this one i call the baby Di
20190415_112019.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
i think promise rings are adorable
i love that @jbake that your daughter's ring will come from her mom and dad
and @sydneyatl have you thought about wearing your promise ring as a pinky ?
i brought my own self a promise ring - well i didn't know it was marketed as a pinky ring - i just liked it. its a teeny blue saphire

my dastest other half just isnt into giving jewlery - after 19 years and about 3 weeks together i have once got some nice gold earings i picked out myself - i would be over the moon receiving a promise ring because we are obviously never getting married but we are obviously with each other
20190415_110751.jpg
this is one i really wanted him to buy me but we had a big domestic that week so i brought it myself
this one i call the baby Di
20190415_112019.jpg

That's beautiful Daisys!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I know there are mixed feelings out there about promise rings, but one of the threads in RockyTalky had me thinking fondly about mine and I decided I want to see y’all’s! However small or silly...post pics and tell me the story :)

My husband bought me this little amethyst and CZ ring in silver off of Etsy (vendor’s picture) for my 25th birthday and I happily wore it until we were engaged, at which point he presented me with a sapphire and diamond (and larger!) version. I keep this one safely stored away in my jewelry box - it’s not expensive but it remains one of my most treasured pieces.

Beautiful! I personally like promise rings. I didn't have one, but I would have loved one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I personally like promise rings. I didn't have one, but I would have loved one.

so (whispering) go buy your own.
who says it has to be a romantic promise between two people (as lovelly as that would be)
make a promise to yourself
i know ! i know ! any excuse for more bling
but maybe deep in your heart you have some long held wish or desire that you would really like to do ...you know an actual attainable one

and kind of back on topic i just read this article after reading that other thread, and it does seem a promise ring can be what ever you want it to be
and even though they seem to have got popular the last decade or so they do have quite a long history

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we called it a promise ring as we were super young but when I was 13 my bf at the time gave me my first diamond ring. This is the only photo I have of it. I never wear it but will probably give it to one of my nieces soon as they are getting old enough to wear diamonds on their fingers IMO. I just don't know if my sister and BIL will agree. But it is a very small diamond after all...

It's the one on the middle finger closest to the knuckle.

ringsgalore.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think we called it a promise ring as we were super young but when I was 13 my bf at the time gave me my first diamond ring. This is the only photo I have of it. I never wear it but will probably give it to one of my nieces soon as they are getting old enough to wear diamonds on their fingers IMO. I just don't know if my sister and BIL will agree. But it is a very small diamond after all...

It's the one on the middle finger closest to the knuckle.

ringsgalore.jpg

i bet your niece would love that !

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got one similar to this one from my ex-boyfriend, except this one is much, much nicer, mine was poorly made and much smaller diamonds and 10K not 14K like this one...I loved that ring, he cheated on me multiple times we broke up and I melted the ring!

Attachments

• flower ring.jpg
    flower ring.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 61

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most couples who give promise rings do so as a kind of pre-engagement. I know very few couples who've given promise rings who've gone on to get engaged, and even fewer who've gone on to actually get married. In high school and college it was usually the boy getting the girl a promise ring so that she'd have sex with him because they're "totally getting married in the future so god will understand" or whatever. Everyone I know in person who got or gave a promise ring did so under those circumstances. I suspect that's what a lot of us who think they are juvenile have seen.

Online I have also seen people giving them as what I would call a "starter engagement ring." Like, they're getting engaged, they just have weird hangups about calling it that? But sorry, if you're making a commitment to get married in the future, that's "getting engaged," no matter what you personally have decided to call it. Then they get a bigger and fancier ring shortly before the wedding planning kicks off. It's like... rather than tell people they're having a long engagement, they do this other thing instead? idk it makes no sense to me.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most couples who give promise rings do so as a kind of pre-engagement. I know very few couples who've given promise rings who've gone on to get engaged, and even fewer who've gone on to actually get married. In high school and college it was usually the boy getting the girl a promise ring so that she'd have sex with him because they're "totally getting married in the future so god will understand" or whatever. Everyone I know in person who got or gave a promise ring did so under those circumstances. I suspect that's what a lot of us who think they are juvenile have seen.

Online I have also seen people giving them as what I would call a "starter engagement ring." Like, they're getting engaged, they just have weird hangups about calling it that? But sorry, if you're making a commitment to get married in the future, that's "getting engaged," no matter what you personally have decided to call it. Then they get a bigger and fancier ring shortly before the wedding planning kicks off. It's like... rather than tell people they're having a long engagement, they do this other thing instead? idk it makes no sense to me.

It makes no sense to me either?! If i'd have had a promise ring from every boy I thought I may be in love with, I could probably open a second hand shop :cool2:

However, for those who had one & went on to get married, I think it's very sweet!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
]@sydneyatl[/USER] have you thought about wearing your promise ring as a pinky ?

I had not actually considered that! It probably is safest in my jewelry box though - after several years of hard wear and tear one of the CZs is a little bit loose. I had it tightened as best as possible by a local jeweler but I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money to fix a $22 ring, so it'll probably just stay snug in the box.

I like your rings!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my boyfriends gave me a promise ring. It was a simple gold ring with a heart, and in the middle of he heart was a tiny diamond. I would post a photo but I no longer have it.

It was a sweet and pretty piece of jewelry, and I could appreciate that it was given with love. However I was so confused and embarrassed by it! For me, either you're engaged or you're not. I couldn't wrap my brain around what this signified to him. I was in no way ready to get married, much less promise to promise to get married. I was maybe 21 at the time? Still figuring out my career and myself. He wondered why I didn't wear it 24/7 or tell people it was a promise ring. Ummmmm... I loved him and enjoyed our relationship but we were on two different pages. Count me in the camp that didn't make good on the promise ring's promise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results