shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your lock/clasp/carabiners!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m chiming in just to follow bc I’ve been interested in these pieces too!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs Alex Park has had some carabiners recently on one of his (myriad of!) accounts. They’re pretty much knock-offs of the Marla Aaron ones and I’m not sure how you’d feel about that and how proprietory her designs are, but they’re certainly cheaper than MA locks as a trial purchase. There’s plenty of even cheaper ones on Etsy too.

In a similar vein but not carabiners, I’m hugely partial to a good old-fashioned dog clip. They look good empty as a clasp or used as a clip for pendants. Single Stone use them in a slightly more modern way on some of their chains (if your budget hits body-part-selling heights) and they also have them encrusted with melee.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs Alex Park has had some carabiners recently on one of his (myriad of!) accounts. They’re pretty much knock-offs of the Marla Aaron ones and I’m not sure how you’d feel about that and how proprietory her designs are, but they’re certainly cheaper than MA locks as a trial purchase. There’s plenty of even cheaper ones on Etsy too.

In a similar vein but not carabiners, I’m hugely partial to a good old-fashioned dog clip. They look good empty as a clasp or used as a clip for pendants. Single Stone use them in a slightly more modern way on some of their chains (if your budget hits body-part-selling heights) and they also have them encrusted with melee.

Thanks! I had never heard of her,so appreciate the info!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I like these as potential options. Anyone have thoughts or preferences?

20220222_190326.jpg Screenshot_20220222-190159_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20220222-190227_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20220222-190808_Etsy.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-190837_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-190837_Etsy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tagging @elizat since I know you have some carabiners/locks. I'll be pairing it with a "u-chain" style necklace (like the one in the photo, though not this literal one). The vendor selling the locks was nice enough to take pics of the ones I like on a chain she had in stock.
icm_fullxfull.422919172_klhuffhi8dwcoo4w0sow.jpg

icm_fullxfull.427220981_8friv88824cgo0c8w048.jpg

icm_fullxfull.422919186_nnbyogq7oa8ogkcw08wk.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the first one. The slightly curved, horseshoe type shape is really appealing and it’s differentiated a little from the chain links so it stands out to my eyes as a separate component.

How long is the chain you’ll wear it with, and will you wear it central or off to the side of the chain? Asking in case your plans affect which might work best.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the first one. The slightly curved, horseshoe type shape is really appealing and it’s differentiated a little from the chain links so it stands out to my eyes as a separate component.

How long is the chain you’ll wear it with, and will you wear it central or off to the side of the chain? Asking in case your plans affect which might work best.

I feel the same way, TBH. It's such a unique look and looks "different" than the chain links, which appeals to me. I'm looking for an 18inch chain (ish). My plan is to wear it in the center when I want a "pop" of something unique, and then to wear the chain alone when I want something less loud (or maybe I'd turn it to the back like a clasp).

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of these.
There are lots of vendors on Instagram as well.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
PXL_20210625_213435588.jpg

Here are some of mine. I have a sapphire pave one as well.

Please tell me where you got the open ended pearl necklace from. I would like a few in different stones like this.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Tagging @elizat since I know you have some carabiners/locks. I'll be pairing it with a "u-chain" style necklace (like the one in the photo, though not this literal one). The vendor selling the locks was nice enough to take pics of the ones I like on a chain she had in stock.

My eye is drawn to the horseshoe-shaped clasp too — the form gives it more visual interest while retaining its functional appeal. It looks as though you could hang pendants/charms from it as well worn at the center front (even a ring holder in a pinch), although it is beautiful alone. I have a heart padlock I hope to wear on a chain in a similar fashion but there are plenty of those around so I won’t clutter your thread with it!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Please tell me where you got the open ended pearl necklace from. I would like a few in different stones like this.

The pearls are from Takahashi. I sent it to Marla Aaron and her company install the loops at the end to use with locks. She sells strands of beads or will string your pearls. In all honesty, I think someone that has a bench could make the components for you based upon photos though, if you didn't care about brand!

elizat

Ideal_Rock

I like the first and last one. First one is my preference too. One thing to make sure of is that whatever the clearance of the clasp is accomodates what you want to put on it- sometimes they have a smaller clearance than you'd think!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first and last one. First one is my preference too. One thing to make sure of is that whatever the clearance of the clasp is accomodates what you want to put on it- sometimes they have a smaller clearance than you'd think!

Makes sense! That's why I was hoping to find one vendor to buy both the clasp/lock and chain from--to avoid exactly that problem!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping to ask a question for folks that might have experience mixing metals

@YadaYadaYada @Mreader @elizat

Will it be a problem to put a 14k gold lock (like the ones I posted pics of above) with a sterling silver chain? I found a pre-loved tiffany u-link chain in sterling silver (exactly the style I wanted, so I hope I love it when it gets here), but prefer the locks in 14k gold (because I think the diamond accents stand out more against 14k yellow gold). Will the sterling get damaged or anything if I put the 2 metals together? I realized I've never combined sterling + gold (my mixed metal pieces are all 14k gold with white and yellow, so I was never worried about it).

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
My limited experience with mixing gold and silver is wearing white gold pendants on silver chains. I have two white gold pendants (10k and 18k) that match better with silver chains because they are bright white gold. I've worn them together for years without any damage to the silver chains.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any personal experience mixing gold and silver @lovedogs where it would be a worry that one would damage the other. Somehow I think it wouldn’t be an issue though as long as the gold isn’t on the softer end like 18k.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Bumping to ask a question for folks that might have experience mixing metals

@YadaYadaYada @Mreader @elizat

Will it be a problem to put a 14k gold lock (like the ones I posted pics of above) with a sterling silver chain? I found a pre-loved tiffany u-link chain in sterling silver (exactly the style I wanted, so I hope I love it when it gets here), but prefer the locks in 14k gold (because I think the diamond accents stand out more against 14k yellow gold). Will the sterling get damaged or anything if I put the 2 metals together? I realized I've never combined sterling + gold (my mixed metal pieces are all 14k gold with white and yellow, so I was never worried about it).

I also don’t have any experience with this but I can’t imagine it being an issue. I’m glad you found your chain!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pulled the trigger on the omega shaped clasp :) I hope it ends up working, but if not I'll return it.

Planning to wear it with the tiffany silver hardwear chain.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy I went for this lock! I think it pairs well with the tiffany chain when worn with the smaller links in front. 20220310_104305.jpg 20220310_104242.jpg 20220310_114623.jpg 20220310_104704.jpg

It looks great - have you tried it yet nearer your collarbone? I'm curious to see the graduation :)

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out well - such a versatile addition!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results