shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your bezel/half-bezel settings!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

My grandma gave my mom her e-ring: a platinum number with a <1ct RB. My mom has always disliked her own e-ring because she says it gets caught on things and the diamond is so tiny. So, she''s thinking about using my grandmother''s stone to make herself a new e-ring. I love the idea! I was looking over settings with her today and she really loved bezel and half-bezel settings because the stone sits flat and won''t catch on things. She also liked settings like this one from antiquejewelrymall.com: http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/r464.html. I took her to my favorite local jewelry store and she loved a half-bezel ring with pave on the shank, but I can''t seem to find anything similar online.

So show me your bezels and half-bezels! Especially if they have any antique-type details because she loves those. Or let me know of any websites where you''ve seen especially nice bezel designs (we''ve already checked out a few of the biggest designers and didn''t see anything she loved as much as that pave one in the jewelry store).

Thanks!
-Laura

sukiisukii

Shiny_Rock

Yay! Finally an excuse to make my first photo contribution to PS

41.gif

Its not exactly antique styled, but its semi-bezel. The center is about 0.80ct which I inherited from my mother in law and set into a plat semi-bezel. Is it just me, or does the center looked lopsided?

sukiisukii1.JPG

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:14:10 PM
Author: sukiisukii

Yay! Finally an excuse to make my first photo contribution to PS

41.gif

Its not exactly antique styled, but its semi-bezel. The center is about 0.80ct which I inherited from my mother in law and set into a plat semi-bezel. Is it just me, or does the center looked lopsided?

i don''t know about it being lopsided, but it looks lovely up close. i love half bezels!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
This isn't pave, but there are tiny diamonds in the flowers and shields. Here is my ruby in an antique made setting with a half-bezel :

LIB_hyacinthruby001a.jpg

It sits low, doesn't get caught on things and was made by Van Craeynest . Here is the linky
2.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty bezels ladies, keep ''em coming
30.gif

Mine is a Shold semi-bezel

elleshotldfront.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
and here''s a shot of the full ring

sholdtcutpic.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Green Lake Jewelry has quite a few bezel and semi-bezel settings, with various degrees of detailing. Link

Here is an example:

MTG_A_4007.jpg

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
FYI, Pearlman's now carries the Sholdt line.

I LOVE your ring, Elle!

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hello, elrohwen. Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

I love bezel settings too — my favorite Tanzanite RHR, in fact, is bezel-set. As a result, I spent a lot of time searching for a bezel-style engagement setting during my year+ hunt for an upgrade setting for my center diamond. All of which is to say, I have tons of links for you!

Before I post the links, I'll share a bit about my own learning experience. My original Tiffany-style six-prong setting was so uncomfortable for the reasons you mentioned that I had my heart set on a bezel replacement setting. In the end, however, I surprised myself by opting for a four-prong, low-profile setting. Just prior to stumbling across THE ring for my diamond, I had a custom semi-bezel setting in the works when I realized, at the 11th hour, that most of my diamond's sparkle was coming off the rim and via the side-to-side motion. As a result, it occurred to me that my diamond really didn't have a high enough crown and a small enough table to really look its best in a bezel (hence the HCA of 1.5) Another consideration I ran into pertains to whether or not a bezel-set diamond will be easy to clean. Some bezel settings provide easier access to the back of the diamond than others. Before I ordered the aforementioned custom bezel setting, I nearly purchased a ready-made bezel setting that was accessible only by a flower shaped opening on the bottom that made the diamond virtually inaccessible using those short jewelry cleaner brushes. I also learned that once the center stone is set in the bezel it pretty much destroys the setting to get it back out, so if the upgrade itch is likely to bite it may not be an ideal setting for everyone. Lastly, especially where semi-bezels are concerned, there is a possibility that resizing down the line may compromise the security of the bezel. On the plus side, however, bezels are THE most secure setting there is. And for the right diamond — which means just about any diamond fellow PSers own
9.gif
— bezel settings are gorgeous and don't take away from the diamond's beauty one bit. If anything, bezels tend to make diamonds look bigger and better, IMHO.

Now that the "technicalities" are out of the way, here are a number of gorgeous bezel styles:

Cross Jewelers: There are many designs to choose from among, some of which have diamonds down the shank.

One of the most elegant bezel rings I've lain my eyes on is the Tiffany Etoile. There are a number of reproductions, including one that may still be available from White Flash. (I posted a link to LesleyH's Etoile style ring in the Rings You Really Like thread — plus a few other bezel settings not pictured here.)

Ann Harrington Jewelry: sells a bezel-set wedding set with a halo and pavé on the shank. The prices aren't bad, either.

Ann McKay: offers a number of bezel settings that are unlike anything found anywhere else.

Etienne Perret offers gorgeous bezel rings as well.

Alex Sepkus: is a designer who offers bezel settings that are out of this world.

Mickey Roof sells antiqued handmade bezel settings, some with diamonds on the shank, designed by Larry Pauling.

I hope the links help. And don't forget to come back and post pictures of the final result! (We can't get enough bling around here!
1.gif
)

P.S. Here's a pic of an engraved platinum semi-bezel ring from Viachi.com, a Los Angeles area designer:

VIACHI_1079.jpg

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 1:22:52 PM
Author: elle_chris
Very pretty bezels ladies, keep ''em coming
30.gif

Mine is a Shold semi-bezel

That''s absolutely stunning! And a VERY nice diamond.
30.gif

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
Oh my! I love the engraving on the Viachi - WOWZAS!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all sooo much! I''m so impressed with everyone''s gorgeous rings and how willing you all are to share them with me. I showed my mom the post and she was amazed at how much information I got from a simple post. She''s super excited to read through the replies and check out all of the links. I''ll post with pics when she picks out a setting.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I learn something new everyday on PS. I have never heard of burnish set stones. What is that exactly?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results