shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your antique cushion /OMB “style” rings

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

This site has led me to discover and fall in love with the antique cushion style /OMC stones. Show me your rings with antique cushion “style” stones ie the stone doesn’t have to be antique - it can be a new cut but in that old style. :)

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @CMN !
Sadly not mine but one of my all time fave here on PS is @KristyDarling ’s three stone ring:

1623630942419.jpeg

Here’s the thread...

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Here‘s a couple of @elizat ’s OMC rings from her incredible collection of antique cut pieces (hope both KD and elizat dint mind my posting their rings here):

1623631240245.jpeg

Thread here:

1623631466409.jpeg

Thread here:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @CMN !
Sadly not mine but one of my all time fave here on PS is @KristyDarling ’s three stone ring:

1623630942419.jpeg

Here’s the thread...

The centre stone on that ring is sublime!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
These cuts are so gorgeous. Why aren‘t they more popular?

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
With modern cuts where round brilliant remains the most popular cut, I think because you get the most spread. And young newly affianced couples are always looking to get ”more bang for their bucks.” I suspect the same holds true for antique cuts where OECs remain the most/more popular one.

OMB/antique cushion carry hidden ct weight and therefore, translates to more $$ if you want a bigger spread. Not to mention, antique cushion/OMBs, good ones, that is, are harder to find these days. I’m by no means an expert- this is just my 2 cents. I wish those in the know would chime in...

@kgizo @ForteKitty @yssie @Spring Day @elizat @Rfisher @PreRaphaelite @diamondseeker2006 @dreamer_dachsie

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
There’s a ton more antique cut experts on here. I’m forgetting some of theif names (pls forgive me)...and really hope they weigh in with both their knowledge and OMB pieces.

@twosanguinehearts @brightice @Acinom @stracci2000 @kama_s

Here’s another OMB beauty:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
With modern cuts where round brilliant remains the most popular cut, I think because you get the most spread. And young newly affianced couples are always looking to get ”more bang for their bucks.” I suspect the same holds true for antique cuts where OECs remain the most/more popular one.

OMB/antique cushion carry hidden ct weight and therefore, translates to more $$ if you want a bigger spread. Not to mention, antique cushion/OMBs, good ones, that is, are harder to find these days. I’m by no means an expert- this is just my 2 cents. I wish those in the know would chime in...

@kgizo @ForteKitty @yssie @Spring Day @elizat @Rfisher @PreRaphaelite @diamondseeker2006 @dreamer_dachsie

@maita13 Don't you have some beautiful pieces yourself, ya silly goose!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my little baby which I have yet to take more photos of and do a SMTB thread for hehe. At this rate I will wait for Christmas to arrive and have some pretty colours to photograph it with hahaha.

diamondring.PNG

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my little baby which I have yet to take more photos of and do a SMTB thread for hehe. At this rate I will wait for Christmas to arrive and have some pretty colours to photograph it with hahaha.

diamondring.PNG

very pretty and I love the setting. May I ask who made the setting for you?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

I definitely agree with @maita13 here. Also I guess the majority of newly engaged couples would have only ever seen a MRB in real life. I remember way back when I first heard of antiques I thought they were ugly, dull and boring - because well a majority are. It's hard to come across a well cut antique diamond especially in Australia which I see is where you are from @CMN

The other thing is between and OMC and OEC.. OECs tend to have better symmetry I guess whereas OMC (the ones I prefer) are quite rustic. I used to think that the wonkiness would annoy/frustrate me but it only adds to the charm.

I got the diamond and setting made by Alex Park of Parks Fine Group on Insta @Lookinagain

Last edited:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock

diamondring.PNG

Apologies, @maryjane04 !! How could I have forgotten your gorgeous -and yuuge! - old miner??!! Having more senior moments lately, sigh...

Thanks for posting this beauteous honker❤️❤️

CMN

Brilliant_Rock

diamondring.PNG

By the looks of it that’s not such a “little” baby.:)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
By the looks of it that’s not such a “little” baby.:)

Hehe little in that DSS sets in fast haha. There are a few people I know in Australia that love old cuts now. But we don't have much access to good old cuts. They are all in the US.

Reactions: CMN

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

All good points. I would add 1) unless you are in a major city they are hard to see in person and most photos don’t do them justice, and 2) they tend to be lower colors which can be an issue for some.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Bump.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
A better photo of my ring...I havent a clue on the carat weight as it was given to me through family & never had it professionally appraised. I love the old charm of old cuts.

20210619_114251.jpg

20210619_114216.jpg

20210619_113544.jpg

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
A better photo of my ring...I havent a clue on the carat weight as it was given to me through family & never had it professionally appraised. I love the old charm of old cuts.

20210619_114251.jpg

20210619_114216.jpg

20210619_113544.jpg

Very pretty. I think the antique cuts look lovely in warmer coloured stones. Do you have any idea what your stone‘s colour grade might be?

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty. I think the antique cuts look lovely in warmer coloured stones. Do you have any idea what your stone‘s colour grade might be?

Haven't a clue unfortunately, I really need to get it looked at .

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is an old mine. I have some that would be called a cushion, but I tend to prefer stones that are a more rustic and older old mine. Here are some of mine.

1.37 old mine oval, o- p color

2.54 q/r in a calibre French cut ruby halo

1.4 K Omc

3.09 omc, carre cuts on side, o-p color

I have an m color omc that I need better photos of- will try to add later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results