shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me the ring[s] : seeing double edition

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

I am usually quite the lurker, but I recently got engaged, and I thought I''d share our new, gorgeous bling and story with all of you! We could never have done this without the help of the folks in the Colored Gem forum here on PS- my fiancee and I thank you profusely for providing us with the knowledge we needed to purchase the most beautiful gemstones available.

Our engagement rings are almost identical, which is fun and unique and a perk of being a same sex couple. They are both in white gold with .12 ctw diamond accents on each ring. The bands are about 2 1/2 mm wide, I think, and are so delicate and tiny in real life. They look so much bulkier up close! And our fingers look odd close-up as well, but I''m sure many here understand that.
20.gif
Both stones are about 5.5mm in diameter. My finger size is 4 1/4 and hers is 7.

The center stones are both garnets. Mine is a pinkish purple that seems to change depending on the lighting, and my fiancee''s is a deep reddish raspberry color. Garnet is my honey''s birthstone, so we thought it was fitting.

Some backstory: We originally had planned on these rings symbolizing our commitment to one another, with an official engagement to follow. However, so much in our lives have changed since we made that initial decision that by the time the rings were finished, we decided that they were beautiful and perfectly adequate for engagement rings. The timing had gone from "someday" to "this is the right moment" for a number of reasons, and we decided to move our timeframe up a bit. We are both so happy with our decision to do so. Here is the "proposal" story posted in the Ladies in Waiting forum: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wishful-no-more.86108/ Sorry for the repeat photos.

There was a bit of an up and down process having the rings assembled at first. We got the first pair of garnets from ajs gems, both a deep raspberry red color and decided to have them set locally in the mountings that I described above. The local jeweler we worked with was great, but after we got the rings back initially, I found myself not entirely pleased with one aspect of the garnet that was in my ring- it had a bit of an inclusion that I found I could see more noticeably than I''d thought. We initially tried to match it to my fiancee''s ring, but realized with the help of the gem forum that it would not likely be possible. Instead, we searched for an entirely new pair of garnets with the idea that I would use one in that pair, and the two remaining garnets, the one from my original ring, and the leftover garnet from the new pair, would eventually be used in pendants. Who knows, maybe wedding gifts?
12.gif
We worked with Dutton''s Diamonds to find a new pair of garnets, and found some beautiful pinkish purple stones. We had the new stone set into my ring, and it was PERFECT! Both venders were great to work with, and Mr. Dutton, especially, was helpful in finding just the right pair for us- great service.

I cannot even begin to capture in photos how beautiful these stones are. They are so full of life and have such different yet gorgeous "personalities." My fiancee''s stone is deep and it almost looks like there is a burning fire deep inside it. The red color is so deep and pure and it sparkles incredibly, but in a more subtle way. It was very hard to catch on camera.
30.gif
30.gif
My stone is a purple/pink color, and it''s so cool the way that it changes in different lighting environments. Sometimes it looks bright pink and like it is almost glowing from the inside with pink sparkles and light. Other times it looks purple and firey. It''s really neat.
30.gif
30.gif

Anyways, I''m sure you all wish I would shut up about them already and get on with the show
20.gif
so I will post approximately a million pictures of us and the rings!
36.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
My computer is currently acting funny, so I might be a bit slow posting these- stay tuned and thanks for reading!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancee and I celebrating

PSMereShan21.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancee's ring! We didn't think to clean them before the photoshoot, but the pictures came out nice anyways!

PSMereShan51.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Rings hanging out together

PSMereShan41.jpg

Bullish

Rough_Rock
Your rings are gorgeous! Congratulations!
1.gif

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! Are they on your right hands? I love ''em!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
In the sun... again, cleanliness
20.gif

PSMereShan8.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Funny angle, but shows the profile

PSMereShan9.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
And from the side... both rings are in the same setting, but mine is usually the demonstrator because I am the obsessive picture-taker when it comes to the bling!
31.gif

PSMereShan10.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I really love how some of them turned out!

PSMereShan14.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
This one was a funny story- my fiancee thought all my picture-taking was pretty funny, so she decided to take a stab at it... she takes the camera, fiddles with it for 30 seconds and then exclaimed all of a sudden to press the button. Turns out she noticed that this was happening with the leaves of the tree blocking the sun!
30.gif
Not bad for a first try, eh?

PSMereShan15.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Bullish- Thanks for the kind words! You''re such a speedy poster that I almost missed your comment!

vslover- Thank you as well! Yes, they are on our right hands. We are both left-handed and since the setting is fairly high, we thought it would be best to wear them where they were less likely to get knocked around.
23.gif
We are planning on plain gold bands for our left ring fingers, maybe paired with some diamond or gemstone stacking bands for bling, eventually.
31.gif
30.gif

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
beautiful rings. I love the profile shot. May I ask why you wear them on your right hands?

oops just saw your reply above lol, nevermind

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty rings!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 12:12:58 AM
Author: purpleshirt
beautiful rings. I love the profile shot. May I ask why you wear them on your right hands?

oops just saw your reply above lol, nevermind

Thanks for the nice comment. We have other reasons for wearing them on the right as well- we're not exactly the most traditional couple, for some obvious reasons, and considering that we didn't go about our proposal in the traditional way, it's also a political statement about the equality of our relationship and breaking away from the more historical aspects of what engagement rings symbolized. We also hope that we can wear the bands on our left finger when we are finally legally married, but depending on the political climate, we may end up having a wedding before it's legalized, so who knows. We're counting on CA, though [or trying to hope for it, anyways].
9.gif

marcyc- thank you so much!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Great pictures! Congrats to you both!
36.gif
Garnet is one of my favorite stones-you picked two beautiful ones and the setting really sets off the colors of each stone wonderfully.

DiscoT

Rough_Rock
Ooo, very pretty rings!! I love how they match but each one displays a unique shade of red. Beautiful and thank you for the story!
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to the both of you on your engagement :)

Your rings are beautiful :)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!

Your rings are beautiful!

Best wishes
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous rings! Congratulations!

And I really hope that you''ll be able to get married legally soon!

aggiebling09

Shiny_Rock
very beautiful! Congrats
2.gif

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
it''s also a political statement about the equality of our relationship and breaking away from the more historical aspects of what engagement rings symbolized. We also hope that we can wear the bands on our left finger when we are finally legally married, but depending on the political climate, we may end up having a wedding before it''s legalized, so who knows. We''re counting on CA, though [or trying to hope for it, anyways].
9.gif

I really hope you''re able to legally get married as well. Congrats again
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results