shape
carat
color
clarity

Should women over 50 keep their hair short?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Around age 40 I took the plunge and cut my hair pretty short (above the ears) just because it was easier to take care of. Throughout the years I let it grow out a bit, but then went back to fairly short. My friend and hairdresser let me try on her wig which was just below chin length and I loved the way it looked on me, but I know it will take extra time to get my hair to look that good if I decide to grow it out. Lately, I am really thinking of letting it grow out to shoulder length, but am unsure.

Do you think wome over 50 look better with their hair shorter or longer than chin length?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
That totally depends on the woman not the age IMO.

My mom is over 50. She would look absolutely awful with short hair. On the other side of that, my FMIL who is also over 50 would look horrible with long hair.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
personally i like older woman with long hair but thats just me :)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
This post made me think of the older woman in twister...I just remember being in love with her hair.

NO I don''t think it is a requirement for older women to keep their hair short. I think it is completely a personal preference. Lindsay Duncan also comes to mind

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m 54 and my hair is just past my shoulders.
I look awful with short hair, longish it will stay!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I always think of Jane Seymour, she is 50+ and looks great with longer hair...she''s shortened it recently, compared to her younger days, but would look awful with short-short hair. I think chin length is fine for any age and not considered long.

I am turning 42 next month and my hair is just at my shoulders...I had it down to my bosoms at 40...my mom hated it and wanted me to cut it...I did, for myself, LOL, but this is as short as I will go I think...for quite a few more years anyway.

Grow away!
21.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think women at any age should have their hair however it makes them beautiful. I don''t believe in rules like that.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
No rules for age stuff. Anything goes if the person likes it.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going on 49 and I have shoulder length hair
2.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I am nowhere near 50 yet (29) but thr thought of me ever having my hair short repulses me. It is too short right now. I love my hair long and am in the process of growint it out. Currently the back is just below my shoulders but the sides are only skimming my chin. I had a terrible haircut and my hair is taking a long time to recover.

I have cut it short before and I looked dreadful. I think I look best with it below chin length. I think once I hit middle age I will keep it between chin and shoulder length but for the time being and probably for the next few years, I will be growing it to well below shoulder length and keeping it long.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not yet 50, but I cannot pull long(er) hair off. Around my chin, angled--short and sassy!

I think it really depends on the shape of your face--moreso than age.

ETA: SDL you look fabu both ways!

cheers--Sharon

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe in rules when it comes to age. It''s up to the individual.

SDL, you look beautiful with both haircuts!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 5:31:51 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Thank you Sharon and snlee
35.gif
It will be blonde again (per hubby''s request) on Saturday.. I am really looking forward to 50... I am so going to rock it!! lol
16.gif
HI:

You must come back and show us--I have never seen anything but gorgeous on you!

cheers--Sharon

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 3:53:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I think women at any age should have their hair however it makes them beautiful. I don''t believe in rules like that.
Yup! I''m 27 with 2 inches of hair. My mom is almost 60 and has hair down past her butt.
9.gif

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t see why not. I think it''s more about the woman than age though. My Mom is 50 and she looks FAB with short hair.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m in my mid-50s and have long hair down to my shoulders. The last time I had it short was when DS was born, and I had no time as a new mom to take care of it. It has been long for the past 20 years. I recently asked my hair dresser this question, and we both agree that I look fine with long hair. So, it is going to stay long.
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 3:44:43 PM
Author: bebe
I''m 54 and my hair is just past my shoulders.
I look awful with short hair, longish it will stay!
Yeah bebe! You oh-so-cool chickadee! Me too- same age, same length. I have a slight angle to my new cut.

I guess I missed the short hair after 50 memo. With my fine curly, frizzy hair? Short hair would be damned near impossible to maintain. I''d look like an unruly frizz ball
14.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 5:21:06 PM
I''m a proud 43.. just had about 5 inches cut off.. I miss my hair, but its just hair and will grow back if I want it to! *eta.. this length was after I had just cut off 3''..
11.gif
You are such a pretty lady SDL. Did you ever just look at someone and judge that you could be friends with them?
You have a very friendly, happy, welcoming, face.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 5:22:12 PM
10.gif
and after the cut..
SDL, I think you look drop dead gorgeous in both styles.

I guess I am the victim of trying to keep up with the trends. I did the awful perm back in the 1980s and vowed I would never perm again.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Keep convincing me to grow it long again.!
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
SDL - your ''new'' cut looks fantastic, the old one was very nice too, but the new one is a lot more modern and stylish, and takes off a few years I think.

I''ve just turned 41 and my hair is longer than it has been for a very long time, it''s about bra-strap level at the back and I''ve been wearing it parted in the middle and wavy with loose curls curling back from my face, if that makes sense. I like the way it looks but sometimes I worry it''s too ''young'' a style for me.

By the time I get close to 50 though I think I will be wearing my hair a lot shorter and sleeker, I don''t think of shoulder length as long though, I think nice shiny shoulder length hair can be worn by women of whatever age.

I personally don''t like the look of very long, grey hair on older women, I think it looks unkempt and ''witchy'', but this is just my personal opinion. My idea of older women with great hair is Helen Mirren or Candace Bergin.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 3:53:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

500% agreed.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
My mum is 63 and has shoulder length hair, and she looks beautiful. She always says she may be getting older but that doesn''t mean she needs to look like it lol.
SDL, you look great in both pictures but I love you with the darker hair!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the woman, not her age!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
SanDiegoLady, you are SO GORGEOUS! And stunning!!! I love the longer hair - and the shorter hair, too. With the longer hair, you look romantic, beautiful and mysterious like a heroine. With the shorter hair, you look sexy and stunning like POW!!!! You definitely stand out in a crowd! You look SOOOO young, too! Wow, your son''s friends must be like... HELLO.
30.gif

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 6:53:45 PM
Author: MishB
SDL - your ''new'' cut looks fantastic, the old one was very nice too, but the new one is a lot more modern and stylish, and takes off a few years I think.

I''ve just turned 41 and my hair is longer than it has been for a very long time, it''s about bra-strap level at the back and I''ve been wearing it parted in the middle and wavy with loose curls curling back from my face, if that makes sense. I like the way it looks but sometimes I worry it''s too ''young'' a style for me.

By the time I get close to 50 though I think I will be wearing my hair a lot shorter and sleeker, I don''t think of shoulder length as long though, I think nice shiny shoulder length hair can be worn by women of whatever age.

I personally don''t like the look of very long, grey hair on older women, I think it looks unkempt and ''witchy'', but this is just my personal opinion. My idea of older women with great hair is Helen Mirren or Candace Bergin.
There are some beautiful amazing gray haired women''s pics on the website www.goinggraylookingreat.com . They prove that you can look sexy with long gray hair and sassy with short gray hair. There is a model named Yasmina Rossi who is drop dead gorgeous!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 5:22:12 PM
10.gif
and after the cut..
Both cuts are very nice on you.But the deeper brown color brown really shows of your pretty baby blues and smile!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did the exact opposite. I wore my hair short for many years, but decided to grow it out when I was in my mid-40''s. I''m 55 now and wear it just past my shoulders.

JSRNM

Shiny_Rock
Colette- I am the same way as you, in my 20s and 30s my hair was really short. Now I am 50 and my hair is between shoulder length to longer. I keep it styled though as I do not look good with just plan straight long hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results