shape
carat
color
clarity

Should stone be positioned to see inscription in setting?

nukezero

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if there is ANY legitimate reason that I should have the stone setter set the loose stone on the setting so that, when viewed from the side, I am able to see the GIA inscription when placed under a microscope.

The importance of this is for me to be able to verify the stone is what it is, when the stone exchanges hands (such as resizing) at a different store, that I'm able to re-verify the authenticity of it, etc.

Or is this just not standard practice? The vendor is telling me that this is not standard industry practice, but they can do it if I want.

Thanks

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Should stone be positioned to see inscription in setting

I have mine set to the inscription is visible ... but knowing your inclusions is a better way to ensure your stone was not swapped.

It's not very likely but technically possible for anyone with the $$$$ machine to laser-inscibe anything on any diamond.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

nukezero|1411146823|3753823 said:
The vendor is telling me that this is not standard industry practice, but they can do it if I want.

Who's the vendor?

I asked for the numbers to be visible, and complained when they were not.

I haven't found a way to not feel like a jerk to ask to get agreement to look at the numbers before & after when leaving the ring....which I'm sorry I haven't taken in my wife's ring for service and checking now for a very long time....but you absolutely can do this when the numbers are visible.

Re Kenny's point...I really don't so much agree. You need the vendor's agreement if you're going to call them on a theft, and if it looks wrong to you, but looks right to the vendor, there's no where to go there.

BTW, I'm an EXTREMELY occasional reader here only these days. But I don't think I've ever read about anyone experiencing a swap.

But, you'd like to know you could be protected, if you wanted to be.

All best,

Ira Z.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The usual procedure in the industry is to either line up the ‘arrows’with the piece, cover something up, or leave something uncovered. What you might want to cover is a particular inclusion or feature on the girdle. What you would want uncovered is usually the girdle inscription. You normally can only have one of these things at a time unless you just luck out.

By all means ask the jeweler to rotate it. That’s what the inscription is there for although you might want to ask if there's a particular reason it is the way it is before you ask for a change.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I asked for inscription to be visible when stone was set and vendor told me that it was their standard practice to do so. I would push for it given all of the reasons you listed.

nukezero

Rough_Rock

Thanks

I have contacted the vendor and let them know to place it so that the inscription can be seen. I only have 4 prongs for my 1.8ct round brilliant. Each 4 sides of the setting completely exposes the girdle. Therefore, I am hoping that this shouldn't be a problem for them to place the inscription on atleast one of the sides.

I understand that inscriptions can be manipulated, erases, and re-lasered. But the fact of the matter is, I don't think most shops will go through the trouble of trying to scam their customers. Although my loose stone is expensive, I don't think it is THAT crazy enough for any normal retailer to scam me out. But you never know.

I also just want it there for peace of mind because when I receive the ring, it will already be mounted. It's still nice to go to a shop and say, let me use your microscope.

Humans make mistakes. You never know. I might receive the wrong diamond right?? Don't tell me that has never happened before.

Amazon has one of the world's most sophisticated shipping/distribution systems, and occasionally, they'll still ship the wrong stuff to me!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1411165964|3754029 said:
I asked for inscription to be visible when stone was set and vendor told me that it was their standard practice to do so. I would push for it given all of the reasons you listed.
Yup, a must!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My small AGS0 in a 3-stone ring is set so I can read the inscription in a 4-prong mounting.

But get this, my Tiffany Fancy Yellow has it lasered on a star facet by the table.
I did see it under 40x with the microscope in the store.
When asked why not on the girdle? Their answer was this way they can easily orient the
diamond in their 6-prong mountings so that the arrows are lined up not having to worry about the position of the
inscription. Seems kind of strange to laser on the crown though.

Well this very issue will come up in the future for me - position to read the AGS inscription or
line up the arrows with one pointing to 12 o'clock in a 6-prong mounting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results