shape
carat
color
clarity

Should prong tips be flush with the pavilion, girdle and crown when the diamond is set?

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I.e, no gap between metal and diamond? Or are small gaps acceptable?
Thank you

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not a great photo but this is an example 8D17936B-A8C5-4EA8-AE5A-D48295129FE5.jpeg

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There shouldn't be gaps. Otherwise the diamond could wiggle loose and dirt and other material can be trapped under the prongs.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone isn’t set properly in the prong seats. I would have the stone reset. I’ve had this happen to me in the past and I find it unacceptable. Don’t be put off by a jeweler who tells you it’s fine. Find a qualified bench to set your stone properly. Good luck!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. Does it need to be fully reset I.e. taken out and put back in? Or can the prongs just be curled around the diamond a bit tighter? :confused:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. Does it need to be fully reset I.e. taken out and put back in? Or can the prongs just be curled around the diamond a bit tighter? :confused:
A jeweller will need to decide if the diamond can be properly fitted into the seats (slots in the prongs) or the prongs need replacement or the seat need adjustment. They should unset the diamond. This looks like they cut the seat wrong and then tried to just get the prong to fold over. You should not have a gap that large between the prong and seat.

You can see how the seats are done here:
https://www.gia.edu/quality-assurance-benchmark/setting-round-center-stone-ring-platinum-prong

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-28_6-15-17.png
    upload_2019-2-28_6-15-17.png
    994.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander thank you so much. Do you think it’s reasonable to ask the jeweler to redo this free of charge? Given that it was stuffed up to begin with

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
AAE89424-771E-4FA8-84F6-C35CDBF618B2.jpeg I know this isn’t the most exciting thread on Pricescope but here is another pic

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
Yikes. :( It's perfectly reasonable for you to request that the stone be set properly. In this case, I'd say there's no way to retrofit the prong(s). The stone needs to come out, and the prongs need to be completely remade (IMO).

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
It might not be the most exciting but education is valuable! These stones aren’t cheap and and I know I wear mine everyday. I’d be heartbroken to lose the stone due to shoddy workmanship. Out of curiosity is this visible to the naked eye? Because I’ve started inspecting mine (it’s only 2 weeks old) for any irregularities.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander thank you so much. Do you think it’s reasonable to ask the jeweler to redo this free of charge? Given that it was stuffed up to begin with
Oh absolutely it should be free!!! It is set incorrectly and not securely. Period. There should be no air between the diamond and the prongs. It looks like they used the wrong sized burr to make the seat and it is too large. Your pics just above makes this clear. You can see that they basically tried to finagle to prongs to hold the stone. What resulted was uneven gaps. Even if the prong is bent inward and downward to touch the diamond, the seat looks too large to my eyes. So, they may need to replace the setting.

Here's how I'd approach this.
  • If the setting was new or they sold it to you, ask for a new setting and start over.
  • If the setting is yours or emotionally important, they can re-tip it. But, if its platinum, 100% only laser welding -- no solder or you'll have a visible line of the repair. If they don't have access to a laser welder, full refund for the work and find a laser-welder capable jeweller.
  • Whatever happens after this round, examine it under their scope when you pick it up. If it is still wrong, ask for a refund, unset your diamond and take it elsewhere.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow looks like some of the prongs aren't touching the crown AT ALL. That is very poor.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your replies. It’s reassuring to know I’m not being too nit picky. It’s a Vatche U113 and I had a local jeweler set the diamond.
@AMRN0516 first I noticed the prongs were catching lint/bits of fluff. When I had a look against a lit backdrop I actually can see the gaps with the naked eye, but I am very short sighted.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Yikes! This is terrible! I can imagine how upset you just be. I used to have the Vatche U113 and it was set by Whiteflash perfectly. Hope you get it fixed soon. ☺️

Thank you so much for your replies. It’s reassuring to know I’m not being too nit picky. It’s a Vatche U113 and I had a local jeweler set the diamond.
@AMRN0516 first I noticed the prongs were catching lint/bits of fluff. When I had a look against a lit backdrop I actually can see the gaps with the naked eye, but I am very short sighted.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look pretty bad - and @cottoncandy’s are the stuff of nightmares :eek-2:

I hope you can get this resolved quickly and painlessly! You are certainly not out of line in terms of expectations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results