shape
carat
color
clarity

Should joining Pricescope come with a warning?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you become a jewelry addict bc if PS? Share your experience!
I did. I think I had a latent passion but PS unleashed it. But my only pieces pre PS were: 1. my ER that I have since upgraded and reset countless times to finally arrive at a 2.52–a ring I would have never fathomed pre PS. I thought a 1 carat was goals. And knew nothing about cut. It was a princess cut.
2. And my college graduation ring that I bought after lusting over my friend’s
3. A gold necklace that I bought in high school. Saved up for it.
Like I said. I think my appreciation was always there. But I had never given myself permission to explore itbut PS is a great enabler!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a jewelry addict from the ripe old age of 6, when Dad bought me my first "birthstone" ring.
It was a "sapphire" and I was in love. I had my ears pierced at 7, so I had lots and lots of earrings.

I can remember digging through grandma's big jewelry box. She had a lot of Sarah Coventry! And costume jewelry from the '50s. I pulled the stones out of a lot of costume jewelry too, in my quest to scrape off the mirrored paint on the back of the glass stones. I liked to hold and look at the sparklies and imagine they were real gems.
I had a cultured pearl pendant when I was 7, and I really loved it. I soon had my own huge jewelry box.
This has been going on for 50 years for me!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Haha not for me. I was another addict before i even got here. My grandmother had been buying me gemstone jewellery since I was young and loved when I would play in her jewellery box and put on her costume jewellery. We used to go shopping together for hours to look at clothes and jewellery. My mother never quite understood it because she was more of an in and out kind of woman. I can still spend hours in a jewellery store and not buy a thing :D I just love looking and admiring.

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have always loved jewelry. From costume and street jewelry to the best. Unfortunately my finances do not allow me to buy much of the good stuff. I live vicariously through you all. Especially those getting custom pieces. I will go into stores and flat out tell them if I am buying or not. The best still enjoy showing you pieces even if they know you aren't buying. Through following Yoram on insta I learned about columnian emeralds and correctly identified one in Greenwich jewelers recently. An example of a lovely store who let me admire the 75k piece.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved jewelry but mostly gemstones. I quit buying costume jewelry in high school but of course had very few pieces of real jewelry. I actually was indifferent to diamonds until I upgraded my ering and picked out a 1/2 colorless AGS0 center diamond. We compared many diamonds in the store and that one was obviously a nicer diamond but I was kind of disappointed it went gray or dark in direct sunlight. I was sure I bought an inferior diamond so I googled why does a diamond go dark in sunlight and found Pricescope.
Since joining my tastes have evolved to better quality and larger pieces of jewelry but I prefer smaller pieces of jewelry compared to most pieces on PS.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've always loved jewellery, but I haven't always been in the position to have good stuff either. I've had a lot of costume/fashion jewellery. When we went to the jewellery quarter yesterday my fiance was telling people I have the bug now... so after my RHR we'll be looking for earrings, etc etc.
I'd like to collect lots of gems :cool2:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dad had my first piece made at 4yrs old. It was a little gold ring with a heart and my name engraved on top. So I guess I can blame him for the addiction ! Loved playing in my grandmas jewellery box She use to tell me stories about every piece as a lot of them were smuggled out of Europe when she and my parents escaped. Her father had a jewellery store in Hungary and I recall her talking about the elusive "BlueWhite" rare diamonds These are what we now call Strong Fluorescence . I read they were coveted and rare back then and highly sought after Thats why when my jeweller found my stone and it has SF I knew it was mine!!!! Every time I see the fluorescence I think of her
I think there are far worse addictions LOL!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I loved sparkly things so much as a child that my mother accused me of being half magpie.

From my long lost memories I would buy her sparkly things for her birthday, Christmas, Mother's day etc.

I say long lost as once, when my daughter was young, I found her in grandma's bedroom playing in a box of cheap paste jewelry, gaudy stuff with lots of dangling earrings and large fake diamond rings. (Most of it was rhinestones as it came from an era LONG before any of the modern day simulants.)

I went to the kitchen and asked my mom where she got all the junk jewelry that the granddaughters loved to play with.

"Honey, you gave all of it to me when you were a child." Then the memories flooded in as I had completely forgotten.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always loved jewelry. PS has enabled my addiction. I need to learn self control! Luckily we have the funds to fuel my addiction!!!

Me three. Always loved jewelry. I would clean mom's jewelry and take/borrow some of it too. I love the pieces I wore of moms that I then passed to my daughter.... ❤️

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you become a jewelry addict bc if PS? Share your experience!
I did. I think I had a latent passion but PS unleashed it. But my only pieces pre PS were: 1. my ER that I have since upgraded and reset countless times to finally arrive at a 2.52–a ring I would have never fathomed pre PS. I thought a 1 carat was goals. And knew nothing about cut. It was a princess cut.
2. And my college graduation ring that I bought after lusting over my friend’s
3. A gold necklace that I bought in high school. Saved up for it.
Like I said. I think my appreciation was always there. But I had never given myself permission to explore itbut PS is a great enabler!

Yes! I had my wedding and engagement rings and a couple of inexpensive gold necklaces. Now I have too much! I’m more of a lurker than a poster and when I see things I like, I go searching for them.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought my first e-ring diamond back 1979, long before PS existed.
Have always loved jewelry which is why I decided in 1986 to enroll in the GIA Distance Learning Gemologist program. Five classes and 3 years later I earned my Gemologist Diploma (GIA).

I do have PS to thank for meeting @Wink. In 2004 I was looking for a tennis bracelet with .33s. I talked with Brian Gavin at WF first, but he never responded with an estimate. So Wink got the sale ... my very first large internet purchase that had me shaking in my boots. I love that bracelet and still wear it everyday 14 years later.

PS finally got me to enter the "cut is king" group by buying my first CBI diamond in 2014.
Four more CBI diamonds later, I think I am done. Very happy with my solitaire, 3-stone, and halo CBI rings. But my pear which is my e-ring will always be special to me.

I also enjoy the camaraderie that exists on PS and how the regulars love helping novices find the perfect diamond according to their wishes. Kudos to @diamondseeker2006 as she has the patience of a saint.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I discovered jewelry after I started having boyfriends; my parents are no frills midwestern stock and jewelry wasn't on their radar. It's nice to be able to discuss the merits of various stones with like-minded individuals since there's no one else in my life that shares my enthusiasm. I just have to remember that I don't play at the same decimal point as some ladies, so occasionally I need to get a grip lol.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well having extra "funds" is a problem for me, but somehow I always find a way to get what I want!

+1, here!! :wavey:

I was born a jewelry addict; the gene was passed down to me from my great-grandmother (it skipped 2 generations). I’m proud to say that I directly passed that gene down to my daughter. I tell her all the time, “Fall in love with a man with money; you’re gonna need it...ALL of it...love, happiness & money for bling.” lol!!
PS just provides the outlet I need to share my enthusiasm! This community is amazing, and I look forward to checking in, every day...just to see what everyone posts, and to share in the glory of the beauty of the sparkle!!! :bigsmile:
Ample funds are not always available to fuel my lust, but, somehow, we find a way to make it happen, one piece at a time. I’m very thankful that I married a man who loves me enough to want to make me happy, even if that means stretching the budget...lol!! :lol-2:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I discovered jewelry when there was an explosion of modern jewelry chain stores carrying modern designs in white gold / platinum. Back then jewelry stores were typically traditional and selling a lot of yellow gold, to a much older clientele. So it was really refreshing. Joining DT (an older diamond forum pre-PS), PS and then the GOG tutorials way back when certainly taught me a lot - and also fueled my love for diamonds.

My preference for big just grew over time - from smallish everyday pieces to thinking 1 carat is the bees knees when I was in college, and then well...it just kept getting bigger, lol!

I love PS since @Matthews1127 put it so succinctly, it allows me to indulge in sparklies and admire others baubles, plus share my enthusiasm with other like minded bling lovers.

The Mr makes fun of me all the time for my obsession, but even HE felt that a 7 carat EC / Asscher (which we looked at recently) is not too big. Although he still thinks big rounds are too flashy. So.......I guess I am slowly converting him to become a diamond ho!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My addiction began as my boyfriend- now husband - showed me a website about diamonds. A few years long I was just admiring them, and then he bought me my ER. Then I’ve got from him a set of earrings, pendant and RH, and after it there was no stop for me,

@princessk It’s good to see someone with connection to Hungary! Im a Hungarian citizen!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is addictive, I'm lucky I have most of the pieces I ever wanted now over the years although I do hope to get some 2 ct TW studs in future but my love for handbags is really my main thing now.

But I enjoy helping others and seeing PSers getting their dream pieces and that's why it works and we keep coming back.

Also, where else can you get various unbiased opinions on each diamond posted? You have a ton of collective knowledge here and that's priceless.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a good addiction as long as you don't spend what you cannot afford. I came for ideas for a new setting and I stayed because I fell in love with the wonderful people here.:appl: And yeah the bling doesn't suck.:P2

But the blame goes firmly and completely on my dh who made a bling lover out of me. Before him I just admired it from afar mainly but he spoiled me and showered me with bling and love and there is no turning back from that. All...his...fault.:halo:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always loved the look of jewelry but never really had any. I stumbled across a paraiba ring on a wedding forum (wedding bee? I'm not sure anymore because it was a long time ago). Well, that paraiba ring was a turning point for me. It was the only piece I ever flat out fell in love with. That Caribbean water color had me from the start. I searched for paraiba and found PS. PS is an addiction and has fueled my love of colored gemstones. I never even knew what a spinel was. Can you imagine? :confused2:
PS has enabled me to buy way too many beautiful gemstones but I don't regret a single one. :mrgreen2:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm one of those who had no clue about jewelry until I came here looking for advice for my e-ring. It was my very first high end jewelry and it got me started on colored stones and other jewelry. I haven't had much disposable income to explore my love for a while but recently came back when DH offered to get a new e-ring for our 10 year anniversary, and have been sticking around enjoying looking at everyone else's beautiful pieces.

Before PS, I thought 1ct diamond was a dream come true. Without PS, I would've never ended up with my anniversary ring, 2.88ct OEC. A dream diamond I never thought I wanted :kiss2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are all nuts.
Signed
Cut Nut

I can't argue with that Garry.

hehe23.gif

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YES! PriceScope should definitely come with a warning! I hadn’t bought jewelry for myself, or asked for it as a gift, in years. But some recent (emotional) events caused me to decide I wanted a replacement diamond for the one I sold years ago. Long story short, I found PriceScope and now have a gorgeous CBI and a new wedding band that I love. All’s good, right? Well yes, except that I ventured onto the Preloved Jewels, Colored Gemstones, and Antique & Vintage Jewelry sections of the forum. Fascination has turned to desire and now I’m trying to get a few projects up on wheels. Uh-oh!!

To all my fellow PriceScopers, my husband says you’ve created a monster! And he’s right. I spend so much time looking at gemstones, jewelry and diamonds, and staring at my rings, that my husband just told me to stop playing with my GEM-italia!! OMG!!

Busted, I guess! I laughed so hard, my sides hurt. I can’t believe I even wrote that. I tend to be a huge prude, so this was quite the zinger!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results