shape
carat
color
clarity

Should it stay or should it go?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been on the hunt for a vintage marquise diamond. The first diamond that I found was a 0.69ct D SI-1 with bruted edges. The diamond flashed brilliant white light with some facets turning off and on but I felt that something was lacking. I was within the return window so I upgraded it for another diamond that they had in stock. It is a 3/4 ct very light pink color SI-1 diamond. It is bright and lively and sparkles so much that my iphone is having difficulty focusing to take a picture of it. The inclusions in the stone are a natural and feathers. This is a problem because there are feathers next to the tip of the marquise. Are feathers cracks? The diamond is from an art deco sunburst halo. I had an opportunity to purchase the ring but at dimensions of 20.7mm by 14.2mm it was a bit overwhelming for my rather short fingers. I am including the link to the diamond listing and I will try to include the only picture out of nine that turned out. I was up at 5am trying to take a picture of this diamond so just under indoor lighting conditions.
www.ebay.com/itm/172387534331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.12649&ssPageNameSTRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The listing includes the GIA certificate so that you can see the location of the feathers and a better color picture of the diamond than I am able to capture.
The question is given the location of the inclusions at the tip, will the tip likely break or chip if I set it? Should I keep it or send it back? If I set it should it be in a bezel or v-tip(the former setting was a prong set)? Would a professional refuse to set it?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really pretty to me. I hope some of the experts come on here soon to comment on the structural questions.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! I have no idea about the structure.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words. Could someone explain to me how to upload a photo from a mac. I had a pc and it finally died and just got this mac and have no idea how to upload a photo. I wish you could see my photo. You would see why I am concerned about keeping this marquise. Next to the tip in the photo is a white line that looks like a bite mark. It is not a chip. The diamond is intact. This is why I am wondering if it is a crack or fissure caused by the feathers. How do feathers affect structural integrity?. If it is not a feather then is it damage from hitting against something like a cleavage line? Would it fracture if I did set it? Who should I take it to ask these questions. I am very far from knowledgeable on diamonds and gems. This is probably going to be the last diamond that I buy and I want to get it right.

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
This diamond is truly gorgeous. I do not know anything about whether it will chip if it is set or not, but you could always have a professional jeweler take a look at it before you send it back. I would think there would be some way that it could be put in a setting and maintain its natural beauty, but again a professional could tell you this better.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a photo that shows what I am talking about at the tip. I realize that this diamond has had a much longer life than I have had so and has been in a ring prior to my purchase. I am just concerned about what is the likelihood of it chipping further if I reset it and what kind of setting would be safer for it . Thanks for reading. I am just nervous because next to my house, car and education this is my biggest purchase.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A feather is indeed a crack. I would trust MyDiamondZone to answer your questions about the whether the inclusions affect structural integrity. If it is a GIA Si1 though I would expect they do not - anything that has an inclusion affecting structural integrity should be I1 or below. If you are worried, it would probably be best to have MyDiamondZone set it if they can also insure it while setting. I think it's a super pretty diamond!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you. That puts my mind at ease about the structural integrity. Mydiaamondzone had the diamond sent in for GIA grading so this would have been present prior to grading. I also specifically questioned them about any chipping or breakage on the diamond before the purchase and was assured that there was none. I feel much better about this purchase. When I started on this marquise search I was looking for a D - H color and all my setting ideas involved solitaires. With this diamond I feel like it needs a halo to highlight its color. In person the diamond is more of an icy pink like the picture from the ebay listing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally bump my hands a lot on things, so I would either bezel set it in rose gold or put a rose gold cup under it to bump up the colour and halo it with white diamonds, both will make it look more obviously pink and protect it more than an open solitaire style setting.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could you explain to me what a cup is? How would a bezel or a cup affect light performance? Do either of these make it harder to keep the diamond clean?

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
You should keep it, and have it set as an east/west ring in a bezel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results