shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I am looking to upgrade my 1.02 radiant cut H, SI1 diamond. I was looking to trade up to a marquise cut, around 1.5 to 1.75 carats. At this time of year I am finding it difficult to find a store with anything larger than a carat. Ideally I wanted at least an H, SI1 since this is what I am used to looking at and can often see a bit of color in my current stone.

I have found a 2.08 carat, I, I1 marquise stone. There are almost no carbon spots under 10X magnification but it has a feather inclusion that runs from just inside the edge to about the center of the width of the stone. It is not eye visible without magnification (I only see it because I know it is there, since I never noticed it before looking at it magnified) and it would most likely be hidden under a prong. I am assuming this is the reason for the I1 grading. The store is asking $7500 (which is in my price range) and it is GIA certified and laser engraved.

Is this a good deal or should I hold out for an H, SI1-2 with a slightly smaller carat weight.

Thanks for your input.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would wait until you find what you originally wanted. The I1 would bother me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it would help to target a size and set of proportions, because marquises vary so much in size for any given weight. Between 1.5 and 1.75... the cut can make as much difference in size as the carat weight.
20.gif

Perhaps a marquize would show less tint than a radiant, but i would not bet my hat that your impression would be the same as mine.
2.gif

What are the specs of the 2 carat marquize? (dimensions, table, depth... the stats on the lab report)

Anyway, I1s are all different because of those inclusions, but here's one H-I1 2 cts marq $4300, no joke. There is a long way to go before your price range - this was just the more blatant example that there is more to talk about than color, clarity, weight and $$$. The price that you mention sounds more SI2-like to begin with. Did you try a search for a stone like that ?

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. I don''t have the specs but I am sure I can get them. I don''t know much about loose diamonds so I never thought to get that info.

I have done some internet searching and haven''t found anything similar in size/color/carat. I am going to keep looking and the store is going to try to bring in some other stones for me. The I1 rating bothers me for some reason but I figured it was just because it was on the low end of the scale.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
New stone specs. Still an I1 but F in color. Inclusions are naturals and the prongs will hide them.

Shape/Cut: Marquise Shape Brilliant
Measurements: 11.99 x 6.85 x 4.52 mm
Wirght: 2.19 CTs
Color: Colorless (F)
Clarity: I1
Polish/Symmetry: Good/Good
Treatment: None
Price: $7500

Thanks for all your input so far. I appreciate the help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2004 8:36:59 PM
Author: NyssaLynne

New stone specs. Still an I1 but F in color. Inclusions are naturals and the prongs will hide them.

Is there a copy of the cert ? I bet this doens''t have just those "naturals" - and if this is the case, it''s definitely worth seeing - there can''t be too many like that!
2.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
It is an IGI cert and it only has the info I posted above. Says that you can contact them for a more detailed description.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results