shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I use all the pretty new cup sets I ordered?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a bit silly but I can't for the life of me decide what to do.

So I've scoured eBay for ages and found two more cup sets that I love love love.

Haven't received them yet but they are meant to be in excellent condition.

Should I just display them because they are so so so pretty or use them and let Hubby use them each night when we have tea and dessert?

On one hand I'll be sad to see the Gilt wear off etc and it would look so pretty in my glass display cabinet. Plus hubby is clumsy and could drop one off he handles them.

On the other hand with all the rogue activities that I do like eat out, socialize etc I could drop dead any day so what's the point of hoarding pretty cups!

They were hard to find in good condition!

I can't decide!!!!! Heeeelp!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. USE them. That's my vote. Use them and enjoy the heck out of using them.
What's that quote? Life is short and there is no rewind, so enjoy every moment and every thing as it comes. Don't save it. Something like that.

Enjoy, they are just beautiful.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have both a practical and an aesthetic purpose. Either way, the point is to enjoy them. It comes down to which way you will derive more enjoyment from them... using them or looking at them.

Personally, I derive more enjoyment from my practical, beautiful things by using them. If they break, I am happier knowing I used & enjoyed them than I would be if I had displayed & enjoyed them and they survived longer.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty!! :kiss2:

Another vote to use them.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the other hand with all the rogue activities that I do like eat out, socialize etc I could drop dead any day so what's the point of hoarding pretty cups!

You answered your own question!
Use them. Tea tastes better out of a vintage cup.
Can you please tell us what they are? I'm interested in vintage/antique china.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You answered your own question!
Use them. Tea tastes better out of a vintage cup.
Can you please tell us what they are? I'm interested in vintage/antique china.

The peachy rose is COLCLOUGH, apparently made in the 1960s. I'll post the name when I get it and they didn't list the theme name.

The yellow roses one is Royal Albert "Tea Rose"

Thanks ladies! I'm so so so torn!!!!

I have three on display and I actually touch them and look at them once a week. So I do enjoy them in a way but yes tea dues taste a lot better in a pretty cup!

In all honesty I think the thinness of the cup has something to do with it. Makes the tea fragrance waft up more!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peachy rose is COLCLOUGH, apparently made in the 1960s. I'll post the name when I get it and they didn't list the theme name.

The yellow roses one is Royal Albert "Tea Rose"

Thanks ladies! I'm so so so torn!!!!

I have three on display and I actually touch them and look at them once a week. So I do enjoy them in a way but yes tea dues taste a lot better in a pretty cup!

Actually in all honesty I think the thinness of the cup has something to do with it. Makes the tea fragrance waft up more!

I suspected the one was Royal Albert. I'm by no means an expert, but I have a meager collection of old china and English transferware.
I really love the old pieces. So much charm!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspected the one was Royal Albert. I'm by no means an expert, but I have a meager collection of old china and English transferware.
I really love the old pieces. So much charm!

Pics please if you ever get the chance!!!! I love love love vintage China. I don't have any plates etc because it's all too daunting to start a collection so I've just got lots of cup sets :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl ,Your collection is all so gorgeous! I hope you are making tea everyday! Coffee would be good in them, too.

Here is some of my stuff:
Spode, Wedgwood and Royal Venton
IMG_20200522_090313.jpg
The blue plate is Minton, and the gold and red cup set is Meissen
IMG_20200522_085953218.jpg
Assorted old stuff:
IMG_20200522_090421.jpg IMG_20200522_090034083.jpg
IMG_20200522_090404.jpg

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol I've just realised how ridiculously me my collection is.

Everything is like flowers on steroids. People could probably guess they were my cups based on my rings etc

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally need another china cabinet. This one's bursting!

Oooh you are making me think..... Maybe a small cabinet somewhere in my upstairs living area to decorate it.........hmmmm

I really love your display! They are being put to good use!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl ,Your collection is all so gorgeous! I hope you are making tea everyday! Coffee would be good in them, too.

Here is some of my stuff:
Spode, Wedgwood and Royal Venton
IMG_20200522_090313.jpg
The blue plate is Minton, and the gold and red cup set is Meissen
IMG_20200522_085953218.jpg
Assorted old stuff:
IMG_20200522_090421.jpg IMG_20200522_090034083.jpg
IMG_20200522_090404.jpg

You ladies are making me jealous! lol

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl
Since you appreciate such things, I took a few shots of this Meissen cup and saucer.
It is one of my favorite things. I found it at a thrift store for $2.00
IMG_20200522_095015.jpg IMG_20200522_094848103.jpg
IMG_20200522_100044.jpg

It is now, officially, one of my favorite things too! I love everything about it.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I'd go for a compromise. Put some for display, use the cups yourself, and have hubby and kiddos use other cup sets, not these that you consider special. I'm not so OCD that every single person in the house has to use the exact same cups.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

My mom collected teacups like yours. She always used them for holidays and birthdays. You could use them for a Sat nite tea party with your husband. It makes any occasion special. Then they return home to their cabinet.

As a child, I loved ooking at them.

Annette

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mellow, as I think you know, I collect vintage stemware. I have HUNDREDS. Some of the glasses are over a hundred years old. I use them every day. I drink water from the tap out of them. When people come over I serve wine, or whatever, out of them. Every once in a while one gets broken -- and it makes me sad--but not nearly as happy as using these beautiful glasses every day does. I vote for you to enjoy them!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl , They are beautiful. Whatever you decide to do there will be happy memories associated with them because they bring you joy. I like the idea of keeping them on display and using a few of them with your husband.

@stracci2000 , Your collection is beautiful.

@Dee*Jay , Your happy hour thread has me really wantIng to start collecting stemware. It was fun looking at all the beautiful patterns.

Antique stemware and dishes are addicting!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is now, officially, one of my favorite things too! I love everything about it.

I had to show the backstamp. The Meissen mark is a beautiful thing to behold!
I was amazed to find this at Goodwill!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They've arrived!!!

Unfortunately the COLCLOUGH has a small crack line running down the rim of the cup on one side so not really display worthy. Fortunately it is not very noticeable and this means I'm using it quite happily because it's not particularly precious anymore. I also negotiated a partial refund from the vendor so feeling pretty good about it.

The Royal Albert is exquisite!!!!

IMG_20200528_161902.jpg IMG_20200528_162000.jpg IMG_20200528_161952.jpg

Guys can you look at this display for me. Can you see the peonies on the right? Are they too similar to the Royal Albert?

Should I take them out to use?

IMG_20200528_161913.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 I've yet to see anything new these days that captivates me like these vintage cups. Most of my cups are vintage. It's easier finding the new stuff!
if he breaks the first one i would give you mine =)2
i would just gentle hand wash with as little or no dishwash
cake and tea is hardly tomato pasta or egg
i let Gary use my Bruce Springsteen mugs, he's very trustworthy even taking one on a hunting trip (but no way would i trust him with actual CDs on a hunting trip - he would shot them)
some have completly faded and have had to be retired to a shelf in the laundry where only i see them and still give them love

this week we had some horrible earthquakes and alot of crockery and glasswear was hanging on for dear life - i didnt know which direction to go, but luckily nothing broke
better to be worn out after a good long enjoyable life than to come crashing down in an earth quake never having been used

vintage china is just so nice to eat and drink off
it just feels nicer on your mouth

you remind me of my moonlight rose royal Albert tea set sitting in a box some pieces for more than 30 years
life is too short not to use nice things

let your hubby enjoy them
downloadfile-121.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They've arrived!!!

Unfortunately the COLCLOUGH has a small crack line running down the rim of the cup on one side so not really display worthy. Fortunately it is not very noticeable and this means I'm using it quite happily because it's not particularly precious anymore. I also negotiated a partial refund from the vendor so feeling pretty good about it.

The Royal Albert is exquisite!!!!

IMG_20200528_161902.jpg IMG_20200528_162000.jpg IMG_20200528_161952.jpg

Guys can you look at this display for me. Can you see the peonies on the right? Are they too similar to the Royal Albert?

Should I take them out to use?

IMG_20200528_161913.jpg

poo about the crack
if it eventually breaks you can buy the cake tire stand middle and a tile drill bit and have a bit of fun
or dfbf7a4eae1c2f60f5813f78171df193.jpg printed-silkscreen-Bernardaud-Sarkis-Coupe.jpg glue the cup back together and fashion up a posh bird feeder
or take up Japanese Kintsugi

Attachments

• Cake-Plate-Stand-DIY-.jpg
    Cake-Plate-Stand-DIY-.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 27

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and if he breaks it he has to get it made into a piece of jewlery

Attachments

• 9d8542fb5fc4af1c333e218e66d50c98--broken-china-crafts-broken-china-jewelry.jpg
    9d8542fb5fc4af1c333e218e66d50c98--broken-china-crafts-broken-china-jewelry.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 31
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results