shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade my 1.6 solitaire to a 2.2 for $8.5k more?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by TweetyBird23, Feb 26, 2018.

Is the jump from 1.6 to 2.2 carat for $9k worth it?

1. No

29 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. Yes

35 vote(s)
    54.7%
  1. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

by TweetyBird23 » Feb 26, 2018
    03747296-E182-4ED0-8E0A-8DECAEC38C3B.jpeg FB74900D-8DE2-428B-9A7E-DE31C7D53A9E.jpeg Hello,

I’m considering upgrading my round eye clean 1.6 SI2 H xxx solitaire to a 2.2 (the rest of the specs remaining the same). The 1.6 was $8.5k and the upgrade must be at least $8.5k from Blue Nile. I’m seeing stones in the 2.1-2.2 size in the ballpark of $17-18k with specs above on Blue Nile.

1. With the other specs being the same, is the jump from 1.6 to 2.2 going to be noticeable on a 5 finger and worth the additional $8.5k? The upgrade would be my forever stone.

2. Attached are the specs of the 1.6 which passes the Holloway cut advisor yet I wish it sparkled more and reflected more blues— I believe that is called fire? Does anyone have any advice on whether I should look for different specs next time to achieve those lovely reflecting colors?

You’re pretty much buying blind from Blue Nile and most of their stones do not pass the HCA. I am only considering ideal stones and since my ideal cut 1.6 passed the HCA and isn’t even out-of-this-world sparkly, I don’t know if I should only consider HCA passing stones from Blue Nile if I upgrade.

Thank you!

2. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Edit: the clarity for the price bump goes up to SI1 and VS2, which I’m not as concerned about as long as the stone is eye clean.

3. nala
    Ideal_Rock

by nala » Feb 26, 2018
    It seems like you have a lot of concerns with blue Nile. Are you sure you want to keep throwing more money at a vendor that you don’t seem satisfied has enough of a selection for you? It sounds like the money that you spent was a good deal for a 1.6. May I ask what is prompting you to shop around right now? And if you increase your budget, would that open up more ideal cut stones for you to choose from?

cflutist likes this.
  4. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your response! I’m considering an upgrade for an upcoming anniversary and would love to get a bigger stone. I’m also loose on color and clarity, as long as the stone is eye clean and well cut.

The 1.6 is from Blue Nile and I hadn’t considered other vendors since I don’t really want to sell my 1.6. I would just rather wait for a good deal/stone from Blue Nile and trade it in. I also feel safer doing so since they have a 30-day return policy should I not like the upgrade in person. I just wish they had other tools such as ASET to help decide although now they have videos of certain stones.

Increasing the budget as well as the specs definitely opens up the selection. Take this J with strong blue fluorescence. It passes HCA, too. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

5. nala
    Ideal_Rock

by nala » Feb 26, 2018

Just to play devil’s advocate, how do you know you are loose with color? Going from an H to a J will be very obvious.

6. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Honestly, I am not sure about Js as I have not inspected one. “Loose” was more along the lines of going from an H to an I. :cheeky:

For a 9k difference, do you suggest I stick with the 1.6? Or sell the 1.6 (scary!) and consider a different vendor?

7. nala
    Ideal_Rock

by nala » Feb 26, 2018
    I’ll let the experts chime in on blue nile. I’ve not shopped there so I wonder if you are missing out on some more options that they offer.
    As to the money, You should also be certain that this will indeed be your last upgrade. How long have you had your stone? How soon did dss set in? Will 2.20 be your end goal or will you be lusting after a 3 carat eventually?

8. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

I’ve had the stone 5 years and DSS set in immediately. I hadn’t considered 3 carats solely because it is out of my budget. If it wasn’t, I think I would go for a solitaire the size of a bocce ball.

9. nala
    Ideal_Rock

by nala » Feb 26, 2018
    Lol. I totally get it I hope someone chimes in about bluenile and helps you find a stone. I get the whole want-to-do-it now. I upgraded my stone many times. Each time thinking it would be my last. Luckily, my jeweler didn’t require me to spend double each time. That part scares me about bluenile. Bc once you make this jump, you’ll be looking at spending another 19k or being stuck. So maybe it’s not such a bad idea to sell your ring now and purchase with a vendor who has what you want along with a better upgrade policy. I know that there will be an initial loss but you sound like a true pricescoper and something tells me that you will want to upgrade again. That said, have you considered resetting into a halo?

Alexiszoe likes this.
  10. RetroTreeGal
    Shiny_Rock

by RetroTreeGal » Feb 26, 2018
    BE856C4C-737A-4943-9284-F18A6A589936.jpeg
    Only you can say if the bump in size is worth it. For MY budget, there’s a heck of a lot cooler things to be done with $8,500 than gain 10 square millimeters on my ER. But it isn’t my budget, it’s YOUR budget. ;)2

Allisonfaye likes this.
  11. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Oh, yes, I’ve considered the halo-on-a-plain-band-so-it-looks-like-a-bigger-solitaire. I just know that if I do it, it’s just going to piss me off because what I really wanted to do was upgrade the now center stone. :whistle:

Blue Nile’s upgrade policy is actually one of the reasons I purchased from them. I knew I wanted to upgrade eventually and did not want to deal with selling. They have a large selection, their return policy is lenient and it doesn’t look like they’re going anywhere in comparison to committing to a brick and mortar. On the other hand, I’m not familiar with other online vendors.

Alexiszoe likes this.
  12. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

A 25% bump, woohoo! :love:

DSS is ruthless.

13. RetroTreeGal
    Shiny_Rock

by RetroTreeGal » Feb 26, 2018
    Good for you, sounds like you’ve made your decision then!

14. ceg
    Brilliant_Rock

by ceg » Feb 26, 2018
    You could also look into trading in your stone to another ps vendor that has a better upgrade policy. Whiteflash and HPD both have 100% trade up policies. I recently did this with my stone that was from Blue Nile. Then you won't have to worry about HCA, aset, is, etc. Just pick one! They are all fantastic!

RosieR, ILikeShiny, arkieb1 and 2 others like this.
  15. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the insight, ceg! How does Whiteflash and HPD compare to Blue Nile in terms of value?

16. ceg
    Brilliant_Rock

by ceg » Feb 26, 2018
    Whiteflash and HPD have super ideal H&A diamonds that are precision cut for performance. There are a few others that market these as well. They are branded diamonds that are known for superior performance. Precision cutting ensures edge to edge brilliance that makes a smaller stone look larger as well as a lower color stone appear whiter. They are more expensive but worth it in my opinion. Plus the trade in policy rocks!

Lachinoiserie and cflutist like this.
  17. unsettled
    Shiny_Rock

by unsettled » Feb 26, 2018
    I wouldn't trade with Blue Nile. I would go to WF and see what they will give you for your stone. Then, you can upgrade anytime without the limitation of having to spend 2x. Like someone else said, it may be an initial loss, but I think it would be totally worth it!

My diamond came from a store that is no longer in business, so I don't have an upgrade policy. If we were going to upgrade, I would head straight to WF.

Tekate, diamondseeker2006 and ceg like this.
  18. luv2sparkle
    Ideal_Rock

by luv2sparkle » Feb 26, 2018
    I don't know about the stone you picked but if I had a chance to go over 2 carats, I would (and did) go for it. 2 carat seems to be a benchmark that many women are very happy with. If it is going to be your last upgrade go as big as you can. Don't just settle for a little bigger if you can wait and get a little bit more. Every single point counts in my opinion. I like my stone to be pretty clean in the inclusion department so I stick with VS2 or better.

Tekate likes this.
  19. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Feb 26, 2018
    I'd definitely go to 2 cts. I would also see if Whiteflash would make an offer on the current stone.

But if you end up having to upgrade with BN, I'll give you the cut parameters I go by (which will also yield a good HCA score).

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

My personal ideal numbers would be a 54-56 table, 34.5 crown angle, 40.8 pavilion angle, and depth under 62.

20. unsettled
    Shiny_Rock

by unsettled » Feb 26, 2018
    Also, I have a 1.5 carat round. I have tried on a few 2 ct stones and could see a noticeable difference. If I had the chance, I would definitely go to 2 cts.

Tekate likes this.
  21. Coconutpalm
    Rough_Rock

by Coconutpalm » Feb 26, 2018
    edit: Ignore this, didn't see your view on halo settings before i posted.

Just to throw in another option if DDS is the problem, how do you feel about putting a halo setting on your 1.6? I recently got a 1.5 with a halo setting it measures 10mm x 10mm. I asked the jeweler for a snug fit with no gaps in between the halo and the center stone. It looks like one stone majority of the time, unless you stare at it up close. This should save thousands and it'll look bigger than a 2 carat+

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  22. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your input, Coconutpalm. If I were to go the halo route, I, too, would get a gapless one. Please feel free to share a picture of your ring-- I would love to see it!

23. Coconutpalm
    Rough_Rock

LightBright and starrysim like this.
  24. foxinsox
    Brilliant_Rock

by foxinsox » Feb 26, 2018
    @mrs-b has shopped at Blue Nile very successfully to find a number of gorgeous stones - tagging her to get her opinion on how to best achieve what you're wanting since she's great at this.

Alexiszoe likes this.
  25. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

by TweetyBird23 » Feb 27, 2018
    Thank you so much for the advice. I knew that I would open a Pandora's Box reaching out to the big dogs (Pricescope). It's intimidating to think of trading in my stone to a different vendor such as Whiteflash at a loss but I have to admit that their upgrade program is much better than Blue Nile's 2x minimum.

I reached out to WF to see if they're willing to make an offer on the 1.6. Without being married to a 2x minimum trade it, think of all the UPGRADES!!! :-o:geek2:

26. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

27. nala
    Ideal_Rock

by nala » Feb 27, 2018
    Please keep us posted! In the meantime, can you share pics of your ring with us?

28. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Sure will. Here she is... a little fireside bling.
    unnamed-9.jpg

cokitty and Allisonfaye like this.
  29. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

May I see a pic of your current? :love:

30. TweetyBird23
    Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for the specs, diamondseeker2006. I am coming across better HCA scores and making the search more fun.

diamondseeker2006 likes this.