shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I try to fix this myself?

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I purchased these akoya dangles from The Pearl Source in Oct 2021. I recently traveled with my Leatherology jewelry case. When I opened it at my destination I found that one of the pearls had come loose from its mounting post.

Is this just something that happens sometimes? Should I reach out to The Pearl Source to get this fixed or should I try to fix this myself? 2D5FDC18-121B-4EF2-95F4-1199A61C518F.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has it just come unstuck ?

Someone will be along shortly to recommend what glue

I had a similar thing happen recently but as i had some other bits and pieces going into the jewler for repair i just got it fixed at the same time

they did want to see the matching one to check it wasn't loose also so that's worth remembering

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Has it just come unstuck ?

Someone will be along shortly to recommend what glue

I had a similar thing happen recently but as i had some other bits and pieces going into the jewler for repair i just got it fixed at the same time

they did want to see the matching one to check it wasn't loose also so that's worth remembering

Yes the pearl just completely separated from the mounting.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the pearl just completely separated from the mounting.

Every time i pack jewlery to take away and no latter how careful i am (i don't have anything fancy. Just wrapped up careful and tucked into my sponge bag) something always gets broken

Sounds like yours will be an east fix
@yssie what was the glue you recommended me please ?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would let the Pearl Source know. Maybe they will replace them for you. I have lots of pearl earrings of varying ages and nothing has ever come adrift for me.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gel superglue.
Make sure you remove all the old glue. Some (cheaper) glues fail over time. Some Chinese or other manufacturers economise or simply don't use the advanced glues available today.
Get a tube of the glue remover at the same time in case you glue your thumb to your ear.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gluing them yourself isn’t hard, but getting it off if you do make an error - or cleaning up afterward if you smear it - can be a PITA.

If you’re going to fix it yourself get a tin of Attack beforehand. Trust me on this one! It’s a glue solvent, totally safe for pearls.

Daisy - I use Vigor two-step epoxy, which is what Pearl Paradise uses and recommended.

I’ve had one pearl I glued come off its post. Give them a little yank to double check that they’re stuck solid, every time you put them on.

Last edited:

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I reached out to The Pearl Source and they very quickly replied that they would send me a return shipping label and would repair the earring at no cost. I'm sure I could do it myself but figured I'd let the experts handle it if they are going to make it easy to do so.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect! And great customer service!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Problem solved! For future reference - something to try at home perhaps when you can fall back on the assistance of a jeweller. Soak the pin in Attack or other glue removal product ( we don't have it here in Australia ) then use a nail file to clean all the residue off. You can also rough up the pin a bit- rough surface makes for better bonding. Take a sewing needle and scrape the inside of the drill hole to remove the residue. Check the fit of the pin to the hole. Now we come to the placement.

If they are totally clean surfaces - no problem. If there is a mark, dent ,scratch, what ever then you want that facing the back. I use small smooth pliers to hold the finding, and put a little drop of glue on the pin , take a second to make sure you have the face forward and then push the pin into the pearl. Quickly....if it's stuck half way.... well "huston you have a problem' .

I've never had a pearl fall off ... that said, trying to remove it can be fraught with difficulties.:wall:

So while it seems Easy Peasy....... I'd let a jewellers do it...especially if they are expensive pearls! (scratching the gold, flattening part of the finding, scratching the pearl with the tool etc etc )

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Problem solved! For future reference - something to try at home perhaps when you can fall back on the assistance of a jeweller. Soak the pin in Attack or other glue removal product ( we don't have it here in Australia ) then use a nail file to clean all the residue off. You can also rough up the pin a bit- rough surface makes for better bonding. Take a sewing needle and scrape the inside of the drill hole to remove the residue. Check the fit of the pin to the hole. Now we come to the placement.

If they are totally clean surfaces - no problem. If there is a mark, dent ,scratch, what ever then you want that facing the back. I use small smooth pliers to hold the finding, and put a little drop of glue on the pin , take a second to make sure you have the face forward and then push the pin into the pearl. Quickly....if it's stuck half way.... well "huston you have a problem' .

I've never had a pearl fall off ... that said, trying to remove it can be fraught with difficulties.:wall:

So while it seems Easy Peasy....... I'd let a jewellers do it...especially if they are expensive pearls! (scratching the gold, flattening part of the finding, scratching the pearl with the tool etc etc )

Great advice and perfect timing. I purchased the epoxy mentioned above and am waiting for Attack to arrive later this week. I have a few pearl studs that have popped off their findings. I'm willing to try the fix myself - I'll let you all know how it goes :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is why i didn't do it myself
I knew when it came to the crunch id get the pearl stuck halfway or use top much glue or it would dribble even thought its a gel

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to close the loop on this. I finally got my act together and shipped out the broken earring last week. The Pearl Source had it fixed and back to me in just a few days. So I've got to give them props for that great customer service.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to close the loop on this. I finally got my act together and shipped out the broken earring last week. The Pearl Source had it fixed and back to me in just a few days. So I've got to give them props for that great customer service.

Thats great to hear

ear shots would put this thread to bed nicely ;)2

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@katbran , what glue remover do you suggest for getting glue off pearls in Australia?

+To be honest I've only used glue remover for cleaning up any little smears that I might have made on the gold . When I glue ... baby it's glued lol The only way for me to remove a peg is to use the boiling water technique... and sometimes it takes several tries. The other forum has a whole thread on removal techniques... using everything from a torch and tweezers to water in a cup in a microwave ...

The glue remover I have it called Un-Cure Rob Smith Industries. I use a cotton bud and just rub the glue then immediately rinse in a bowl of water. I honestly think that if there were a coating of any sort on the pearl this stuff would eat through it .

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any source which sells superglue will likely sell the remover too (and it is useful to have some around in case you glue your finger to your own ear). It doesn't hurt pearls. In stubborn cases or where pearl and finding fit really well so there is no obvious soaking through path I have simply put the item into a zip lock for as long as it takes. (discovered because the remover evaporates if left in open air)
Oh and never never never twist a pearl to remove it from its pin. All you will do is break the pin at the base so it stays stuck inside the pearl. That is a whole different sitch to solve.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results