shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I reset my engagement ring in 14k yellow gold?

devils_snare

Rough_Rock
Hi All - new member but longtime lurker here. I am thinking about resetting my ering into 14k yellow gold. I generally prefer yellow gold to white gold/platinum (just a personal preference). The stone in my ering belonged to my MIL. Many years ago, she lost her own ering and decided to buy three RB diamonds at the time for her sons to give to their future wives. She wore them as earrings/pendant for a while until my husband proposed to me. When he proposed, it was in a temporary setting and said we could go to his mother's jeweler to pick out a setting I would like.

When we went to pick out the setting, I was very clear in my preferences: simple setting, either yellow or rose gold. The jeweler and my MIL said that would be such a shame as the diamond is colorless and I should really go with white gold or platinum. Well, what did I know! So I picked out a simple platinum setting and called it a day. We've been married 3 years now, and I do like my setting but always think about resetting it in yellow gold. DH doesn't have a preference, he just wants me to be happy. MIL would not be seriously upset/offended, she's pretty easy going. My question is, do you think it would be a shame since the diamond is colorless? I know ultimately this is a personal preference, but would love to hear your opinions and cons that I haven't thought of yet. One thing I do like is the 4 prongs can give the illusion of it being a cushion cut, would this be more or less pronounced in yellow gold?

Here's the GIA report for reference. She bought it before they started grading cut - TIA!

Measurements: 7.93 - 7.99 x 4.76
Weight: 1.81ct
Depth: 59.8%
Table: 58%
Girdle: thin to med, faceted
Cutlet: none
Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Clarity: VVS2
Color: D
Fluorescence: none
IMG_0978.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be a shame for you to wear a color of metal just because others thought that's what you should be wearing. Wear what you like. I think
yellow gold or rose gold would be lovely!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Get what you want! And what a thoughtful gift from your MIL!

cheers--Sharon

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I agree w/ the others- I think go with the metal you like. Either rose (my favorite) or yellow would be very pretty!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it would look great in yellow gold! I would do 18k instead of 14k myself, because I prefer the look of 18k better.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Your MIL is a very thoughtful women! I think it would love look lovely in yellow or rose gold.

twang07

Shiny_Rock
I do love YG but I do think it could make your diamond look more yellow in certain lights. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. Team YG!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you have the prongs in platinum, the stone should be fine in terms of color. I agree with the others - get the metal that you want and that makes you happy. I am sure it would be beautiful!

Reactions: caf

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you have the prongs in platinum, the stone should be fine in terms of color. I agree with the others - get the metal that you want and that makes you happy. I am sure it would be beautiful!
I’ll go so far as to say you don’t need platinum prongs.
My lowly j looks white af in yellow gold prongs your D will be very white. Could even seem more white due to the contrast!
I love gold, I prefer 18k yellow gold - I may have missed why you prefer 14k, but either way do it up!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also agree with going with yellow and 18k, get what you want!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A colorless diamond is going to be gorgeous, no matter what color metal. Your stone is definitely stunning.
If your heart is longing for yellow gold, then put that gorgeous baby in yellow gold!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’ll look great in yellow gold. Go try on some yellow gold settings with 1.5-2 carat diamonds and see how you feel about them. Your diamond is gorgeous and your MIL rocks for getting her future daughter in laws diamonds.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Life is too short. Go get yourself that new setting and don't look back.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... I think nothing could make that D look not white!!!!

devils_snare

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies! Yes, I am very lucky to have such a wonderful MIL. I guess I have some shopping to do...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results