shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I recut my big marquise to an oval?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am sure lots of you have seen my 3.15 marquise ring up for sale with Jewels By Grace. The longer it is with her, the more I miss it. But I know it is not a practical stone for everyday wear around my babies because of the tips and claw prongs. But I love the color of it and the way it changes in different lights. Should I just have the dang thing cut into an oval and keep it? I would have to have it reset for a THIRD time though lol. I did a fast photoshop comparison of the stone as is verse what it would look like as an oval. Current measurements are 17.09 x 7.51 x 3.84 mm. 51.1% depth and 67% table. Is it even do-able? Would you even bother? I need a therapist clearly haha

moval_recut.jpg

_35640.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does your contract with Grace say?
Can you do this?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've chatted with her about it already. If you end a consignment there is a nominal fee so that part is not a big deal. I could have it done with her cutter or someone else but either way it would have to be reset. If it would sell soon or if I could learn the virtue of patience then I would leave it as is. My finger is naked and maybe I'm not thinking clearly, clearly. At 7.51 it would be a pretty skinny oval, eh?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an intriguing idea! You might want to pose the question to Brian Gavin and Good Old Gold and see what they say.

I have to say that I really like the lozenge-like shape you're playing with - it's a cleaner look IMHO than the traditional oval. It would be really cool if it could be done! But my other thought is this: your marquise is only going to be a "danger" to your kids for a few years. Once your kids are out of the toddler stage it should be safe for you to wear it again. Are you sure you can't do without, or make do with a smaller stand-in ring, for that long?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mixed feelings on this idea. My first thought was it would be a shame to change such a beautiful stone. But then, I saw your oval mark up and honestly, love the elongated oval it looks like it will be.

I know, I'm no help in this way.

Finally, I have to go along with VRBeauty's question about how long will this marquis shape be a real problem? I know it feels like forever until your kids are "big." But I can say from experience, (mine are now 17 and 20) those years do go quickly. Maybe, instead of investing the money it would cost to recut and reset, you can get yourself a pretty anniversary band or eternity ring for some everyday bling, and then wear that gorgeous marquise when the situation allows. I do think you find more and more opportunities to do so, as the kids get older, and just think of the set the two rings can make!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I also hesitate to cut it because it is an antique stone and those are harder to come by. It is true I could stash it away until the kids are older but I just really love wearing my ering everyday. And I'm going to be honest and say that if I were to keep it, I would have to reset it again anyway because the underside of the gallery where it sits on my finger is uncomfortable to me. And the claw prongs catch on clothing. I have kind of small hands and short fingers so the marquise looks slightly overwhelming on my anyway. I was planning to get an emerald cut or another antique cut but this oval idea is intriguing to me.

Is Brian Gavin a master cutter? I see him recommended a lot for re-cuts but I have never worked with him. I would definitely like to speak with someone who is knowledgeable in antique re-cuts who can preserve the chunky facet qualities that I so love about the stone.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Consider getting a setting that covers the sharp ends of the stone.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I already did - it was reset into a rounded bezel which solved the problem but didn't look great. My husband isn't wild about the marquise shape anyway and calls it "the football diamond" so there's that :lol:

I'll call GOG and BG tomorrow just to see if it's even do-able.

Here's one more terrible mock up with even less material taken from the tips for a more elongated look. :think:

moval_recut2.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like your 1st mock up but prefer the 2nd even more. I hope it can be done :dance:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1450336063|3962577 said:
Here's one more terrible mock up with even less material taken from the tips for a more elongated look. :think:

Oh yes!

Another thought - check out the "Esperanza" thread, and consider contacting the designer or cutter in that project.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That's an interesting idea. Mike Botha is the cutter I believe? What an amazing stone. Mine is so shallow though I will be interested to see if any of the cutters actually think it's safe to do. David Klass actually suggested cutting it to an oval when I decided to reset it. Stupid me should have just said "do it!" Will report back on what I find out!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
couldn't you just bezel it if you are concerned with tips and claw prongs?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I have mixed feelings about this. LOVE your marquise.It's special and while I love ovals too I feel it would be a shame to recut such a gorgeous stone. I like artdeco's ' suggestion. Would a different bezel help your problem? There has to be a better option. And the kids will get older before you know it...

I am sorry you have this bling dilemma. I just love your antique marquise and would hate for it to be recut..it is such a beauty. ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

Cutting it is t assi.ple aa rounding off the ends.

It will change the angles, changing the performance, possibly the saturation. And that's if the cut is successful.

Then if it is, its still going to catch on stuff, its still long and pointy, even if the tips don't come to a hard point.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have to echo the sentiments of the other ladies, that your kids won't be little for much longer. i had a very small marquise e-ring but it was set very high and i constantly scratched my little ones when they were babies. They are 6 and 3 now (about to turn 7 & 4 in a few months!!!) and that danger is past. Once you're past the changing diapers and wiping bums, etc, you won't have to worry about it so much. Granted i don't wear any of my rings when we are playing or rough-housing and i still manage to scratch them on occasion with my nails when we are being rough.

I definitely wouldn't recut, it could change SO much about the stone and it is SO lovely, it would just be a shame to recut IMHO.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say keep looking for a wide band for you to wear while the kids are little. I'd really hate for it to be recut (although it may
make a pretty oval). Keep trying to sell it and then buy something that will work for you. Something smaller that will work
for every day ware.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked with your DH about his opinion of the oval versions? As the change is very slight (a marquise to a moval), are you sure he won't also call the recut diamond a "football diamond"? [I ask only because it seems your DH's opinion matters to you]

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the stone as is! Wasn't the bezel setting practical with the kiddies??

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I love this ring as-is. But, if you're not in love with it and getting antsy while waiting for it to sell, I get why a recut sounds appealing. Are you in love with the idea of an oval though? You mentioned actually wanting an emerald cut or another antique cut. It would be a bummer to go to all the trouble of a recut and a third setting to end up with a ring that you're still not completely in love with.

I second the idea for tiding yourself over with pretty band or something. Your marquise will sell, have patience, it's too gorgeous to sit around forever!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Niel, thank you! That's the nitty gritty that I needed to hear. Alas, she will remain a marquise and on the sale block with Grace. Patience is not a virtue I behold when it comes to bling :lol:

The bezel did solve the problem but was.......did not do the stone any justice.

It is true, I do want an antique emerald cut or OEC/cushion.

Fingers crossed it sells soon so I can add some new bling to my finger. In the meantime I'll keep hunting for a blingy wide band!

Thank you, wise people!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1450335763|3962576 said:
Consider getting a setting that covers the sharp ends of the stone.

Clever solution.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I realized now my sentence doesn't make sense. Lol

I was just saying its not as easy as rounding off the ends*

Stay strong! I don't have patience either.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I mostly lurk, but as a mother, I would just wait it out and keep the marquise you obviously love. I've been reading about your struggle with this stone, and it seems as if it's the "one" for you. Keep some ring dishes around your house, and when you're changing diapers or clothes or whatnot, just pop it on the ring dish. Then it can't scratch your kids. They will be past that age before you blink, trust me, and then you can enjoy your marquise again.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not recut this rare marquise beauty in any way. Even If (big risk here) the recut is successful, the resulting diamond may still be too long and narrow for a ring due to its size and narrow shape. Instead, I would repurpose the diamond as a pendant, with v-shaped prongs covering the tips and a few dbty melees on the chain. The result will be a clean and elegant looking necklace. This size and shape of marquise may not be suitable for a ring, but is perfect as a pendant. :appl:

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
WAIIT for it to sell... Perhaps you have a gem stone that you could wear with a band? I sometimes wear a sapphire ring i have with one of my bands...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are both missing the stone, but more importantly having something to wear on that hand. To combat doing something impulsively (taking the stone back, redoing into oval, resetting a 3rd time), I would be patient. What I suggest is getting something more on the larger size but less pointy for your hand. It could be a large (cushion or otherwise rounded) colored stone, or a wide band with diamond accents. So you will have something beautiful to wear in the meantime.
I know it is hard to wait but the more expensive a stone is the longer it typically takes to sell. Or drop the price to what you are willing to bear.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1450379103|3962730 said:
I think you are both missing the stone, but more importantly having something to wear on that hand. To combat doing something impulsively (taking the stone back, redoing into oval, resetting a 3rd time), I would be patient. What I suggest is getting something more on the larger size but less pointy for your hand. It could be a large (cushion or otherwise rounded) colored stone, or a wide band with diamond accents. So you will have something beautiful to wear in the meantime.
I know it is hard to wait but the more expensive a stone is the longer it typically takes to sell. Or drop the price to what you are willing to bear.

To bad Grace doesnt have rings you can "rent" until your stones sells when you can buy something that works a little better for your
lifestyle!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Temp bling rentals lol! I'm on the hunt for a blingy eternity band to keep me quiet until mine sells :angel:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Yes, love the moval! It would still be an antique cut stone...just trimmed a bit, ha!!. Definitely don't put it away.
I would keep it for sale instead of putting it away.

Wonder what single stone could do with it? They re-cut all the time.

Great idea. Just don't know if it is doable.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Hi on Loupe Troop you have a watch for sale in the picture you have a ring on your engagement finger can you please tell me what stone it is - just loving the look

and if I had the spare cash I would buy your marquise and the second setting you had done superb :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results