shape
carat
color
clarity

should I polish the inside of the prongs on a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dryice

Rough_Rock
hi everyone, like many here in the forum, I''m obsessed with details. I''m having a local jeweler mount a diamond that I bought off the net. I dished out a long list of demands. When we came to the topic of the prongs, I told her that I need to make sure the inside edge is smooth. I said that because on Tiffany''s site, they claim that comparing to their competitors, the inside surface on a prong of a Tiffany setting is much smoother. Anyways, the jeweler told me that they can ploish the inside surface to a mirror-like finish, much like the rest of the setting. But for an additional fee of $100. She said that this service is usually performed for rings that have fancy yellow diamond to enhance the light performance. Do you think I need this? I have a normal, round brilliant, 1.10c, F, VS2 diamond.

I hope someone has experience in this area and can give me some advice.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
It's so funny that you posted this question, because I was just thinking yesterday that I would love to do the same thing with my prongs! I say go for it. A hundred bucks is not that bad in the long run if it's going to bug you. If it's something you want, then I see no reason not to do it. You may be the only one who notices it, but I really believe that you *will* notice it. Since it has everything to do with the owner's pleasure, I say it's a great plan.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it polished, get the tip of the prongs trimmed and all. Those off the rack settings are soooooo rough! Ugh.
cry.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Do most setters charge addtional money for the inside of the prongs to be set? I would think it's a easy job and just polish the insides after they finish polishing the ousides? I could be mistaken tho~
confused.gif

dryice

Rough_Rock
sounds like the people have spoken: it's a go. thanks all for your responses!

Leonta,
The jeweler told me that it's another 1/2 hour of work for the setter to polish the inside of the prongs. But I do think she's over charging me a little. I think an additional $50 (or less)is more reasonable. But I'm not going to get into an argument with her over 50 buckes. I've spent much more than that just on appraising and shipping the diamond.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Polishing the inside of a ring to a smooth bright shine is not usually done and is not easy or quick. In my opinion it is well worth $100. Of course, not everyone is a picky as I am.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Diamondbob. ...

Thanks for the info. I think I will call my jewler tomorrow and ask them to polish the inside of the prongs on the setting they are currently in the process of making for me right now. And I will gladly pay the $100.

BTW, I love the work you did for my 5 stone ACA band!

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results