shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Open the Case?

maryred

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for an emerald for the past couple years. I was having difficulty finding the color and clarity I wanted within my budget. By luck, I stumbled across one recently and I think it's perfect. I received it with a certificate from Gem Information Laboratories and it's still in its sealed lucite case. It's never been set and has been tucked away since 1992.

I'm dying to open the case and get a good look at the stone from all angles, but before I do I was wondering if there is anything I should know. I'm feeling nervous about removing it from it's protective case. Will removing the sealing wax and opening the case devalue the stone? I guess I just have butterflies about disturbing the 25-year-old packaging. Would it be better to wait and let a jeweler break the seal? What would you do?

Here's it is in its current state:

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, look at that color! :love:
Part of me wants you to tear into that baby. :twisted2: The other part thinks you should wait for more seasoned members to chime in.

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. Congrats on your new emerald. :D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemstones are valued on their color, cut, size, clarity, rarity and level of treatment. There is no harm in removing it from the case. If you want -send it to a lab that can verify any treatment on the stone which will help you better determine it's value.

amyek

Rough_Rock
+1. Open the case. You need to be able to inspect your purchase.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone should remove the gem from the case to get a better view of the stone for accuracy of colour, clarity and see how it behaves. Some stones might require an expert to verify, especially if it is from an unknown lab, and especially for stones that are commonly treated. Gems are not like coin collection where it has more value unopened.

No mention of treatment nor level of treatment, only that it is a real beryl (emerald).

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
I thought the same Chrono is mentioning. No treatment listed, which could lead to very different prices for emerald, as treatment is done on most of these stones. But depending on treatment (light oil to stabilized and colored liquids) the price would change. Color looks good, so opening of the case to check the stone should be no problem.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just send the whole thing to AGL and ask for the $65 gem brief card, with the option of upgrading to a full report if the lab thinks it appropriate/worthwhile to do so. Worse case scenario, you're out the $65 + shipping (depending on how the emerald was sold to you, perhaps you could work out with the vendor for a full refund..? Did you buy the emerald already, and did it have a return period or was it contingent upon a lab report backing up the vendor description?)

Opening the box yourself would give you a better idea of the color and clarify but the major questions of origin and treatment still would not be answered until you get it to a lab.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone looks beautiful. The box does not look like it is colored to enhance the stone. Don't certain treatments fade over the years such as colored oils? This stone was purchased nearly 20 years ago. You bought the stone in 1992. Would it not be a bit late to return? How much did you pay for it? $65 seems like a piece of mind price to confirm. A reputable jeweler who you are looking at to set the stone may have an opinion. Good luck.

maryred

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions and advice.

So I nervously opened the case this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised that I thought it was just as pretty out of the case as it was inside it. I appreciate the advice to send it to AGL to get it looked at...guess I should have thought of that previously. I'll try to get it sent sometime this week.

This is a recent purchase I made from a jeweler who retired and was selling some of his old inventory. He was the original purchaser of the stone in 1992. We didn't discuss returns, but he was very open and forthcoming with information, seemed sincere too, and so I feel comfortable asking for a refund if the stone isn't good material. When I asked about any treatment the stone may have had, he said he suspected oil but had no information to back it up. I paid just under $900, and while I don't think I got a bargain, I'm just hoping it's worth that much. I guess the AGL report will tell me everything I need to know.

Here are some pictures of the emerald out in the open. Sorry I couldn't get clearer shots. I'll try to get better pictures later today.

IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2295.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2285.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert by any stretch but FWIW I think it is very pretty Maryred! I love the color. I think getting an AGL report is a good idea.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes color seems good, inclusions are only some small which is no problem with emeralds normally. so a nice stone as I think.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color and glow look very nice! :) The color looks a little like Chivor emerald. If it has been untouched in the box since the 90s then actually the clarity looks to be quite good since some of the oil should have leached out during the years and you should have a better idea of the actual clarity of the stone.

Lovely shiny color. From what I've heard of beryls, if it is so nice on photo it must be eye-popping in person. Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results