shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I keep as is or make a 3 stone family ring?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
My mom gave me my great grandmother's diamond and sapphire it is beautiful and I've enjoyed it over the last 9 years. I'm newly engaged and have the diamond bug plus being on here it's giving me tons of ideas!
The diamond has a crack in it that is not eye visible so I'm not even sure it could be reset. Definitely need to get some opinions from jewelers this weekend.
I can wear the ring on my right hand but it's a little small at 6.5, I am size 7. So if keep as is, I need to resize.
The setting is white gold and you can tell it's vintage for sure.
I love the idea of a 3 stone family ring, with this diamond being the center. I need to get it appraised but my best guess is its right around a 1.2 H or I. The other stone would be my mom's original engagement diamond from my dad. One of my mom's prongs broke but luckily she found the diamond. She has offered it to me before but I didn't accept because i didn't know what to do with it it's very sparkly and I imagine about .3 to .4 carat range H color. And my fiance would purchase the other side, matching up as well as possible. What do yall think?
Here is the ring, leave as is or remount into 3 stone or something else? Thanks everyone :twirl: 20190404_135728.jpg 20190404_135750.jpg 20190404_135754.jpg 20190404_135815.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring & so special that you have something that belonged to a loved one. :love:

I think - first - you should have the diamond appraised to know not only if there is damage to be concerned with, but also to know what you have in terms of pairing side stones with it. It appears to be an OEC, judging by the small table and tall crown.

Then, is the diamond your mom is giving you also an old cut/OEC/Transitional? If not, and it’s a more modern round brilliant cut, just know it may look (e.g. perform, sparkle, etc.) pretty different from the center. If I put 3 different round old cuts beside each other, I probably cannot make out if the slight differences in faceting all that well. But put an old cut next to a MRB, and it’s a pretty stark difference. Whether that difference would bother you or not is only something you can decide.

Depending on that, you’ll be able to help fiancé know exactly what to buy for the other side if you indeed want them all relatively well-matched. And if you’re talking all old cuts but aren’t well versed in what to search for, enlisting the help of someone like Adam @ Old World Diamonds, Erica @ Love Affair Diamonds, or Grace @ Jewels by Grace would be a good idea, as they all know what to look for and all three can help create the actual ring as well.

:wavey:

Last edited:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Excellent advice themotherthing thank you! I think next steps are go to the jeweler to see if they think it can be reset, obtain my mom's diamond and see how the two look together. My mom's diamond would have been bought in the mid-70's.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring as is!!! How lucky you are to have such a precious heirloom! But I have a soft spot for antiques. I’d keep it as is and just purchase a 3 stone for my rhr.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would leave it..It’s a beautiful family heirloom..:love:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leave it as is!

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you want to reset it, you should do it. What is the point of keeping the current setting if you are not happy with it, it is not giving your joy. If you are going to reset it, ask the jeweller if the setting can be preserved, in case you change your mind in the future.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
But if it is indeed an heirloom piece maybe it is meaned to be kept as it is and pass down. You should double check with your family. I have some heir loom piece passed to me, I cannot imagine wearing them unless I am in a period drama show. Nothing fancy, just old styled jewelry. i was thinking of selling them, I thought what is point of having them in a safe. But i think I will make my parents sad, they really treasured them, showed them to me when I was child, and passed to me when I got married. So I think it depends the intention when the ring was given to you.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s lovely as is and a shame to take it out of the setting, but you are the wearer. I would vote to keep as is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Iove It and if it we’re mine I’d leave it as is. :love:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like it depends on the condition of the stone and setting. Do you like the idea of it as an engagement ring?

If you'd rather have something else is it feasible to keep as a rhr and get a separate engagement ring? I don't think there is anything wrong with resetting if you will wear and enjoy your grandmother's diamond more in a new setting.

If you enjoy the ring as is maybe see if there's anything a jeweler can do to make it more durable. Maybe make mom's diamond into a pendant.

If you'd rather have something else you could still incorporate your mom's diamond and do something like a sapphire with diamond sidestones so the 2 rings coordinate.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for helping as I value each of your inputs greatly I have decided to keep it as is! I will continue wearing it on my right hand proudly. It is a treasured family heirloom, I love the diamond and the setting is very romantic and regal to me. And it makes me feel proud to wear something that was given in love to my great grandmother many many years ago.
I did consult with a jeweler this weekend and ge said keep it as is and size it up if needed. It's fitting me well now so I will keep it as is and will pass it on someday to someone very special to me. Thanks everyone I feel great about my decision!:wavey:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's great! Are you still considering incorporating your mom's diamond in your engagement ring?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
No, I have my engagement ring - shown in my avator that I'm loving! I think I'll tell mom about my idea and maybe she will have an idea for her diamond.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine, I would leave it just as it is.
I take that back: I would bring it to a jeweler who specializes in working with antique pieces to have it evaluated for safety of the ring and stone, to be sure it's okay to wear it, or if it needs some work to make it so. Then I would have it sized and wear it on my right hand, or as is on my left with my wedding or anniversary ring.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input. I'm leaving it as it and will probably size it up. I had a jeweler check prongs and he said they look good. I loove diamonds!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results