shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Have This Old Ring Appraised?

dan216

Rough_Rock
I have this vintage 14K white gold diamond ring. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to have it appraised. Maybe If I had an idea before hand of it's worth.

It's from the 50's or early 60's. 14K and Treasurechest stamped on the inside, and has 12 stones. I have some photos, but they are not very clear.

dan216

Rough_Rock
I'll try to add a photo of it.

dscf0047.jpg

dscf0011.jpg

dscf0013.jpg

dan216

Rough_Rock
One other thing. I have a box of old jewelry, I wouldn't know what is real or fake for certain, only guessing. How would I deal with this, besides, just taking it to a jeweler and telling him I'm not sure what's what?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's going to be worth much, so I personally woundn't get it appraised.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Bring your box of jewellery to a pawn shop or a friendly jeweller - anyone with a diamond or gold tester. That way you can at least sort out some of what's real or not.

dan216

Rough_Rock
How much would the pawn shop charge to test the box?

Also what size would those stones be in the ring? Also If it's not worth the cost to have the ring appraised, then what should I do with it? Should I even bother having it cleaned at a jeweler either?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Pawn shops will weigh and test for free. Jewelers will clean for free.

dan216

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. When I have the ring cleaned, anything I should ask the Jeweler? If it's not worth getting appraised, how would I know how much to sell it for?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
You can ask them weight and approximate specs on stones. I personally have a fantastic pawn shop into area so I have them weigh
The piece and then I have sold it in a variety of ways- here on per loved, GOG on consignment, eBay, loupe troupe, diamond bistro.

Gypsy- I'm not sure if all caps and yelling was for me but I didn't tell him
To sell to a pawn shop :) just that they can be helpful for getting information.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold unwanted gold jewellery for scrap at the friendly local pawn shop that I used. I researched online first to find out what were the fair prices for the gold, and the pawn shop offered me the same rates.

Good idea to bring jewellery items to a pawn shop to have them tested for free. ;-)

DK :))

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Actually DK, me too- when gold went through the roof- years back, I had things from when I was a teen that I sold for several times what I thought they were worth but the style was so ugly no one would've bought lol. I still like my local pawn shop and they are always happy to weigh and give info (and my friend and I have bought some incredible pieces from them- it's like a visit to an antique jeweler!). I'm
Sure not all pawn shops are created equal but my local one is ACES! Lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results