shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I consider IGI or HRD graded stones?

OCD_about_angles

Rough_Rock
I have been searching GIA graded diamonds and have completely disregarded any and all EGL stones since EGL reports are less reliable. However, should I do the same for IGI and HRD reports? Are those grading agencies as reliable or strict as GIA, or do those agencies provide the same "level of confidence" as EGL.

I know, ultimately, I would need ASET or Idealscope to pick the best diamond, but I'm wondering if I should even consider looking at IGI or HRD stones. What are you thoughts or experience? Thanks in advance.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would consider an IGI or an HRD graded stone.

I wouldn't pay the same price for an IGI or HRD graded stone as a similarly graded GIA stone. So if I found a diamond I was interested in that had an IGI lab cert that was graded as a G, SI1 I wouldn't pay them same as I would for a GIA graded G SI1. From what I've read there's a difference in standards between the labs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No!!! I don't know anything about HRD but IGI is certainly not reliable and you have no idea what you are getting!

GIA Excellent cut and AGS Ideal cut are the two labs and grades to search for. I wouldn't look at anything else.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HRD is based in Antwerp. In terms of color and clarity they are reputable. Their cut system is similar to GIA's - proportions-based - but somewhat wider. They include a system of Hearts & Arrows grading for round brilliants, but it's not connected to the strictness of their proportions grading system.

IGI has many worldwide locations. IGI's loose diamond reports are considered very reputable in Europe and Asia. In fact, the loose diamond grading results from the IGI Hong Kong lab are considered on par with GIA, but with stronger consistency, and the IGI HK "Hearts & Arrows" grading report is seen as cut-elite in much the same way that an AGS Ideal report is in the US.

In the USA there is a negative perception, but that's due to the "finished jewelry appraisal-reports" which are famously misused by salespeople to demonstrate what a "bargain" a piece is in mass market stores like Walmart and Sears. That report format is only issued in the USA, the other IGI worldwide locations do not offer them. Their loose diamond reports in the USA are reliable but scarce.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
OCD_about_angles|1365536064|3423460 said:
I have been searching GIA graded diamonds and have completely disregarded any and all EGL stones since EGL reports are less reliable. However, should I do the same for IGI and HRD reports? Are those grading agencies as reliable or strict as GIA, or do those agencies provide the same "level of confidence" as EGL.

I know, ultimately, I would need ASET or Idealscope to pick the best diamond, but I'm wondering if I should even consider looking at IGI or HRD stones. What are you thoughts or experience? Thanks in advance.

This IMO is all that matters. You can always send the stone to GIA to get it certified....Personally, I like to get a deal and there are some pretty spectacular stones out there that aren't graded by GIA or AGS. And there are some pretty crappy diamonds graded by GIA too....so...to each their own...

Yang Kin

Rough_Rock
Trade
HRD is based in Antwerp. In terms of color and clarity they are reputable. Their cut system is similar to GIA's - proportions-based - but somewhat wider. They include a system of Hearts & Arrows grading for round brilliants, but it's not connected to the strictness of their proportions grading system.

IGI has many worldwide locations. IGI's loose diamond reports are considered very reputable in Europe and Asia. In fact, the loose diamond grading results from the IGI Hong Kong lab are considered on par with GIA, but with stronger consistency, and the IGI HK "Hearts & Arrows" grading report is seen as cut-elite in much the same way that an AGS Ideal report is in the US.

In the USA there is a negative perception, but that's due to the "finished jewelry appraisal-reports" which are famously misused by salespeople to demonstrate what a "bargain" a piece is in mass market stores like Walmart and Sears. That report format is only issued in the USA, the other IGI worldwide locations do not offer them. Their loose diamond reports in the USA are reliable but scarce.

Hi John,

Will an IGI report shows that a diamond is appraised while mounted? Also, if a report shows as Hearts & Arrows diamond report, graded in Antwerp in 2016, does it mean that it is a loose diamond report? Lastly, is IGI Antwerp as reputable as IGI Hong Kong?

Many Thanks.
-Yang-

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think HRD are pretty well regarded in Europe- my earring stones are graded by them. I read an article somewhere that had a "league table" of labs- HRD were listed after GIA.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would definitely consider HRD graded stones. IGI is a bit of hit and miss. Down my neck of the woods, we get a mix of those damned appraisal business card reports along with the odd loose diamond graded stone based on what I've seen at mall jewellers.

Have heard that IGI Mumbai is better than other IGI labs but those in the trade would likely be able to offer a more nuanced view than I as a consumer would of the differences between the various IGI labs.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As John noted, perception plays a role.
In that regard, if you're in the US, HRD is simply not on par with GIA. In my experience, Canada and Australia NZ operate like the US regarding acceptance of HRD.
IGI has the same issues.
It's not about which lab is better- more about which lab is accepted by the trade.

There's a discussion in another thread about resale values.
My position is that as a financial instrument, diamonds are not a viable option. They do hold value better than other goods that consumers buy- and can indeed by sold if needed ( at a loss)
If it's a stone of note ( larger than .50cts- and or a higher grade stone), the first thing a US seller is going to need is a GIA report.

AS far as using ASET, or IS, sure, why not.
But they are NO substitute for buying a stone with a trusted lab report.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my experience, Canada and Australia NZ operate like the US regarding acceptance of HRD.

@Rockdiamond, up until probably 5-6 years ago, there were a few labs here in Australia tattered grading stones for public sale in jewellers. Then GIA and EGL USA graded stones moved into our market quite substantially. It's only diamond educated folks like myself who would have heard about HRD. Unfortunately, the vast majority of folks here will accept any sort of "certification" of their stones, even if the lab in question is what we here on PS would consider a third-rate lab (or worse, they just buy ungraded stones!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results