shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I choose mine cut or modern

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

septemberstone

Rough_Rock
My husband and I are "building" a ring. The center stone is a sapphire and I have been offered two choices in side stones, modern or old mine/European cut. What is the down side to ''Old''? The upside is the price. Remember these are side stones not a center. I am leaning toward the old cut for two reasons: the price and the "history". I am sentimental and would appreciate the vintage of old cut.

Oh, yes, we are looking at 1/2 carat stones. I want SI1 D-G. Can anyone tell me an easy way to determine flouressence?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi SS,

Sounds like a nice ring. I'm not a pro but I think the downside to old is that the cut does not maximize light performance. It may amount to a personal opinion. If it's sparkly enough to you in comparison than go with old for the price. As for flourescence . . . at .5 carats they should be able to tell you. That's a big enough stone to have a cert. so you might want to get some stones with certs depending on what you're spending. Also, are you planning on getting an appraisal for this ring? If so, talk to your appraiser and see what it would cost for him to check your stones out before the ring get assembled. Make sure you're getting your money's worth.

Again, I'm not a pro so you might want to hold out for more definitive answers. Is this an internet vendor you are working with?

septemberstone

Rough_Rock
It is a local jeweler who gets stones from Phili.

Yes, we will get an appraisal on the ring. Is florescence (spelling???) a negative thing? How would I understand it.

The jeweler showed me modern stones and they seemed busy to me. Since I am SO GREEN at this I liked the less busy look of the old Euro cut. But, I wasn't sure if I was choosing a completely inferior stone.

Thanks for your opinion. Gave some things to think about.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you like the look of the old cuts better, well, there's your answer. I think the blocks of colored light you get out of an old cut stone are really charming. And old cuts would go especially well with a sapphire, where the point is color, not white light and flash.

Oh, and by the way, fluorescence can be cool--your ring will glow under blacklight, if you happen to go to a club or an aquarium or someplace like that--otherwise it looks pretty much like any other diamond. It's like a little Martian secret that nobody knows but the diamond and you. (Well, and your jeweler, I guess--and anybody else who happens to see you wearing it under blacklight.) Given a choice, I'd definitely go for a stone with fluorescence, as long as the stone looked good to my eyes.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Septemberstone- Hello.

First I think it's quite unique that you are considering old mine cut stones. The style which has become more prevelant to the times now of course is the Round Brilliant because of it's light return and if you get a stone cut to ideal proportions. Yowser it really makes a difference. I think the idea of having a old mine cut stones to your ring will give it some character since your swaying away from the traditional style. It is all a matter of preference, but price largely depends on the cut quality which will make the stone perform much better. You have to decide what you like, I think its neat that your considering a different style. I believe there is a picture in the Ering picture folder thread of this particular style. Seems like you see this alot more in the vintage rings of the late 1800's eraly 1900's.

As far as flourecence I have attached a link which you can browse and probably find anything you ever wanted to know concerning this issue. In most cases flourecence does not affect the look of the stone, only in circumstances of a stone displaying a strong flourecence it will have an affect on the appearance. Here's the link you can click on: Keep us updated!

www.goodoldgold.com/fluorescence.htm

-Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska

9.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a picture posted by Hest88 of her Old Mine Cut ring...Neat Huh......

-Josh

hestomc.jpg

septemberstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice. I am really leaning toward the old mine cut. I have one more option to check out on modern cut stones. If they just bowl me over then I will go with them.

I now get florescense (spelling)

I let you know how it turns out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like old mine cuts and old Euro cuts too. They definitely are a different, more sedate look. If you don't want them flashing all over the place...then the older stones are they way to go (though they still flash too!!). I really love both the new and old cuts, but they definitely each have their charms. Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be beautiful--but if an old cut speaks to you...I would definitely do it!!

Good luck

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I just picked up this omc. It was part of a Victorian ring that some bright light had attempted to turn into a brooch. It's been reset into a 50's style e-ring with .7 baguettes on either side of the center stone.

It's a G, VVS, excellent cut.

It has plenty of bright flashes of color if you ask me!

win

9.gif

myomc2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results