shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

student10

Rough_Rock
I would like some help with the following as I looked at it in a store (not in the mall) and I thought it was beautiful but I don''t know much about diamonds. How much would anyone pay for this? The thing that scares me is EGL certificate as I have read that is not as good as GIA, any suggestions on price and would you buy it is greatly appreciated!! Also should I only look at GIA diamonds?

Thanks

Certificate: EGL out of LA-June 02
Carat: 1.29
Shape: Princess
Measurement: 5.29x5.87x4.32
Depth%:73.60
Table%:73.10
Crown%:9.20
Pavilion%:57.60
Girdle: Med - Thick polished
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VVS2
Color: F
Fluorescence: None

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Student,

I would do some more research before you decide whether or not this stone is for you. Look at comparable stones here on pricescope to see if the price appears to be in range. Also, look at the AGA cut charts (I know they are on here somewhere, just don't recall exactly where!). This will help you decide what kind of cut this may be.

I found the link!

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp

As for the EGL report, I personally would say if you like the stone, just make sure you have a return policy (cash or exchange) for a reasonable enough time for you to get an appraisal to have someone independent check the diamond against the report to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting.

Good luck.

E

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I think it may be best to do some comparison shopping first. If the price is right, it will probably be good enough. For comparison purposes, here 1.24 F VVS2 we a 1.24 carat princess which has 10% more area (multiple length x width) than the one you are looking at. The thicker girdle and higher depth adds carat weight you don’t see. Since you can see it and you say it looks beautiful, it would probably be a decent enough stone, if the price is excellent and you aren’t paying for the empty carat weight . If the price is just “fair”, then you should take a little look around.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The diamond you are considering would probably be considered an International Fine Trade Cut Class 2B. Here's a link to the Cut Chart for Princess diamonds:
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp
You can compare stats on diamonds you are considering to the specs in the Cut Chart. Princess Cut Charts are guidelines. Each diamond really needs to be evaluated in person. By doing a quick check of Price Scope inventory, comparable GIA Certed diamonds are trading for around $7100. The price would be slightly discounted for an EGL Certed stone.

In addition to the link Chris gave you, here's another example for you from the White Flash Expert Selection:
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-548856.htm#

Good Old Gold, White Flash Expert Selection, and Dirt Cheap Diamonds Signature Princess Cuts are all on hand. All have been professionally evaluted for cut quality, performance, and light leakage.

Light leakage is a real problem with Princess Cuts. When you look at the Ideal Scope images, you want to see more red and less white. More white in an Ideal Scope image means less light is being refracted by the diamond. More light refraction means more sparklies.

If you want to screen diamonds locally, in person, use the Cut Charts and order an Ideal Scope. You can use an Ideal Scope yourself to screen diamonds you are viewing in person for light leakage.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results