shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this sapphire?

S

Squizabel

I am looking for a sapphire to make a three stone ring with an old pair of small diamonds. I came across this on eBay (I am in the UK too):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252947564767?_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's a GIA certified 3.03ct sapphire, 8.9 x 8.1 mm ish, cut by Dan Stair, looks to be on the lighter side (but I quite like that). It's on for £499 which is about 650 US dollars.

I'm inexperienced with coloured gemstones so would be very grateful for advice on whether there are any flaws I am missing, or if this seems like a decent and good value option. Thanks in advance!

U

User56783

If I didn't need the oval I purchased for the ring im having made, I'd return it and buy that one for the price. But im also I experienced in this.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's what I'll tell you, take it how you will. I looked at the stone, I looked at the report, and I looked at the price. A heat only stone of that size and color generally doesn't for that little even at the consumer level. So I'm going to be guarded in my response

Hopefully the more experience sapphire ladies and gentlemen will stop by.

But according to what I saw, its not a fake report. You may want to ask for clearer pictures of the report as well as the stone. Some of the measurements on the report are not legible, and the stone does look different on hand than in the other 2 images.

So I will tell you that its up to you to go for it. Its ebay, so make sure you use paypal, because if the deal goes wrong they can help to recover your costs. You might be able to do the same with CC.

S

Squizabel

Thanks to both of you for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Arcadian - your comments are very helpful. I looked up the GIA report and it is genuine (it also clarified the measurements that are difficult to read on the paper copy). Of course, this is no guarantee that the stone is the one the GIA report is for. It looks easy enough to print off a colour PDF of the GIA report from their website, if you were inclined to scam people...?

In what way do you think the stone looks different on the hand? The table looks bigger to me, is that what you're seeing?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it is legit, it's a good deal. The report alone costs more than a hundred bucks. The seller has 100% positive feedback and a lot of feedbacks with it. On the color of the sapphire, you can ask your jeweller what metal to set to highlight the color or to darken it, sometimes, the setting can do magic. But on the photo, it seems a nice shade blue on the light side.

It just boils down to it being legit and seeing the stone in person whether it grays out a lot or appear washed out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying stones on the internet means doing your due diligence as much as possible but even with all the tools at your disposal, getting hoodwinked its still possible. Apparently the stone was sent to GIA in 2013, you could if you wanted to find out, ask the cutter if he remembers cutting a sapphire around that time and show him the images. Could be a long shot if you choose to do it as there's no guarantee for response but you never know.

Yes the table looks quite a lot bigger than the other images. Could be that unclear image and angle of the picture taken, but a better image with a closeup of the table and facets would help to clarify the stone against the other images.

As Seaglow mentioned sometimes you have to take the leap and see it in person and assess if its the stone for you.

If I did purchase such a stone and planned on keeping it, I'd sent it to get it checked again, just for peace of mind. I'm not saying you should do it, but I have trust issues so I would.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Ebay purchases I search Toolhaus which shows you the hidden negative feedback of most sellers. This seller does not have a bad reputation according to Toolhaus. IMHO the price is very, very good for such a large sapphire cut by Dan Stair and the stone appeals to me because I like my blues on the lighter side.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hard for me to tell too much from the hand photo - whats the usual etticate for ebay sellers and requesting more photos?

In the 3rd closeup photo, something about the facets does look like it could be a recut. I also like the idea of trying to reach out to Dan to see if you can corroborate what the seller is saying.

Again, hard to say for sure from the pics, but it looks like it might lean a little purple/lavender?

I agree with others - if its legit it seems like a nice stone at a nice price. I guess it all comes down to how much you trust the seller to be legit.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard for me to tell too much from the hand photo - whats the usual etticate for ebay sellers and requesting more photos?

In the 3rd closeup photo, something about the facets does look like it could be a recut. I also like the idea of trying to reach out to Dan to see if you can corroborate what the seller is saying.

Again, hard to say for sure from the pics, but it looks like it might lean a little purple/lavender?

I agree with others - if its legit it seems like a nice stone at a nice price. I guess it all comes down to how much you trust the seller to be legit.

The way I've gone about it is send a message through ebay and let them know I'm very interested but would love to see additional pictures of the stone. Im a sweet person (well I fake it pretty good :razz:) so generally if you're nice about it and they don't think you're being a jerk, some are ok with it.

At worst they say no which is of course their right. But that triggers me to just move along.

Because in this case the cutter is mentioned by name its the reason why I suggested it. Some have decent memory of their stones but they of course are not obligated to answer either. It mostly depends on your approach.

Falco

Rough_Rock
The 3rd, clear photo posted actually looks like the photos Dan Stair posts on his website, so he may very well recognise the stone, or rather that picture of his stone, however, that does not mean it is the stone for sale. I find it annoying,suspicious, and unprofessional when people post blurry pictures, like the first one in hand. It is almost worse than no picture. Why would you post a blurry pic if not trying to conceal something? However, if it is the 3rd stone, it is very pretty. I hope for you it is :)!

S

Squizabel

Thanks all, that's really helpful. Thank you for the Toolhaus search LisaRN, I didn't know about that! I will ask for more photos and see what happens. The key question in my mind is whether that stone in the first picture is the one on the GIA cert and that was cut by Dan Stair (as both of those images could be pulled off the internet quite easily).

I have sympathy for bad photographers as I am one myself :oops: But in that case, I think you need to compensate by posting a lot of images from different angles so people can piece together how things really look themselves.

I also need to decide if I really need a new ring or not. I was mostly idly looking. So dangerous....

S

Squizabel

OK, heard back from the seller. Spidey senses gone up. Nothing specific, just something about his tone. I've decided not to go ahead.

If anyone else wants to take a chance on it, go for it :wink2:

Falco

Rough_Rock
Yeah I guess seller is not a professional, given it looks like there are only 3 prior gem sales, and the rest are assorted goods. I sympathise as I cannot claim any great photo skills either, but as you said, take many pictures, from different angles and lighting, or post a video (not sure if possible on ebay). It's a shame because it is pretty.

S

Squizabel

Thank you to everyone for your input - you guys are great and so helpful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results