shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy EGL-USA and is this a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tony13

Rough_Rock
I have no experience buying a diamond. I was looking at a 1.52 ideal cut, H SI2 round diamond at the local jewelry store. The diamond is EGL-USA certified, VG pol., VG sym., no flour.. The price is $7500.00. Is EGL-USA a good cert? Is this a good price? Thanks for all your help.
wink2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I would not walk away from an EGL certed stone but I would get it checked out by an independent appraiser, as I would any stone. If you like it and it sparkles, get it checked out. As for the price, it seems a bit high given that EGL stones are often priced a little lower than GIA or AGS. Run a Pricescope search and compare for yourself.
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Tony
1.gif
welcome to PS!

EGL-USA is widely considered better than its other EGL counterparts...

What I wonder is who labeled that stone "ideal" - would you be able to supply us with other info on the stone? For example: table, depth, crown/pav angles/height...

As far as price goes, it depends on the cut... HERE's a *similar* stone... yet H SI2s get up into the $8-9K range when you're talkin ideal H&A branded cuts.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
While EGL USA is better than EGL overseas in general, IDEAL is used a little freely. There are Ideal cut, Exellent Ideal Cut, and Tolkowski Ideal Cut ratings all from EGL. Sometimes appraisers agree and sometimes they do not. Better to focus on what a good appraiser says that what the paper says. Some of the new tools for measuring a stone's brilliance and light leakage is a good way to measure how "ideal" it is.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
All the advice is good... don't fear an EGL cert, just get it checked out... and insist on a little price break (compared to GIA\AGSL stones).

-J

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results