shape
carat
color
clarity

Should aunt have sued 8-year-old nephew?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course not, it's absurd. But what is also absurd is that the insurance company offered her $1 for her medical bills. Obviously after 2 operations (in the US at least) she will be well over that.

Case was thrown out after 20m, because it's just so stupid. But honestly, I don't think she would have done it if the insurance would have just paid out. They made her jump through hoops, and she wanted the money, so she did.

Apparently the relationship is not hurt, though it seems a bit fishy. I'd read some conspiracy theories (this happened 4 years ago, the childs mom died 1 year ago) that the aunt wasn't included in the will and was suing the family to get money or something like that.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yes, according to the aunt she was forced to name her nephew in the lawsuit. I agree offering $1 was ridiculous. I suppose she felt she needed to go after funding for her medical bills. Definitely a strange set of circumstances. :doh:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1445226160|3939745 said:
Of course not, it's absurd. But what is also absurd is that the insurance company offered her $1 for her medical bills. Obviously after 2 operations (in the US at least) she will be well over that.

Case was thrown out after 20m, because it's just so stupid. But honestly, I don't think she would have done it if the insurance would have just paid out. They made her jump through hoops, and she wanted the money, so she did.

Apparently the relationship is not hurt, though it seems a bit fishy. I'd read some conspiracy theories (this happened 4 years ago, the childs mom died 1 year ago) that the aunt wasn't included in the will and was suing the family to get money or something like that.

The case was actually filed in March 2013 (just looked it up), so those theories would be inaccurate. Wheels of justice are slow moving; cases take a loooong time to get to trial, if they do not settle first.

If she had to name the nephew in order to recover against the insurance company, then so be it. Much ado about nothing. I'm sure similar things happen every day, but this one just got picked up by the media, and then social media, and here we are. With that said, I'm also sure that it probably wasn't a covered claim under the home owner's insurance policy, which is why they offered $1 and which is why the jury also so quickly came back with a no.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much of the details, but it was a strange set of circumstances and she was forced to name the nephew in the suit. It seems to me yet another one of those stories that the media just loves to grab on to and sensationalize...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results