shape
carat
color
clarity

Shorten pearl necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I would like to know if it''s possible to shorten a cultured pearl necklace?

Dear mother gave me a necklace (and earring) who was a gift from my father to her for my birth. I love love it but I can''t wear often because the actual length is not beautiful on me.

Is this expensive to do that?

My local jewelers quoted like.. $50 I think.

You can do it yourself though, for less than $10 (supplies).

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
How long is the necklace, and how short do you want it? If it''s a matter of just a few inches, you''ll have to have it re-strung, which isn''t super expensive. If the gift was given for your birth, the silk may be worn or weak, and it''s probaby time to have it re-strung anyway. Swedish bean''s estimate of $50 sounds about right.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 7:17:53 PM
Author: cellentani
How long is the necklace, and how short do you want it? If it's a matter of just a few inches, you'll have to have it re-strung, which isn't super expensive. If the gift was given for your birth, the silk may be worn or weak, and it's probaby time to have it re-strung anyway. Swedish bean's estimate of $50 sounds about right.

25 inches long. I would like 18 inches.

You think it's time to re-strung the necklace? I'm gonna bring it to the jeweller this week!

Thank you all!

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sylvie -

while shortening the necklace, you can have earrings and probably a bracelet made with the extra pearls.

julie.

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
I just talked to a jeweler about re-stringing/knotting a pearl necklace and was quoted at about $3/inch.. So the $50 estimate sounds pretty good.

I also inherited a pearl necklace that''s a bit longer than I''d like it to be. If you haven''t taken yours in already, you might want to consider buying a shortener as an alternative to having it restrung. (A shortener is like a little clip that goes in the back and allows to to wear the necklace at any length you''d like). Basically, it gives you the flexibility of having only one necklace but wearing it as though you have several... might be something to consider. I want to have my pearls forever and since I don''t know what my jewelry tastes will be like in 30 years, I like having the option of a shortener.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hooooo! I would like to see pics of a shortener! Do you have links Babygirl?

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have links at the moment but I can try to take a picture of mine tomorrow and post it for you. Mine shortener is really simple (though you can buy ones that are much more ornate)- it looks kind of like a safety pin with tiny pearls on one side.

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
I hope this works. I''ll take a picture of mine for you, but it''s a similar concept. I found this one on Amazon for under $10. A more in-depth search could probably yield a variety of results.. this one probably wouldn''t work with a strand of larger pearls, but there are definitely shorteners available that will.

pearl shortener.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results