shape
carat
color
clarity

Shoe recommendations for Vegas? (Also SAs…)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, all!

We are headed to Vegas in a couple of weeks and I am wondering how to keep my feet comfy for the lots of walking that will be required. And yes, I realize this is waiting until the last minute to address this issue. I *was* planning to wear my trusty p448 sneakers everywhere, but we are having a major heat wave where I live and I wore a pair last night and despite them being some of my most comfortable and broken in shoes, my feet swelled to the point that they blistered the fool out of them. So…that plan is obviously out.

We have reservations at a couple of restaurants that specify no open toed shoes, so I am looking at the Birdies site and wondering if their Swan slides are comfy—they are adorable. Any experience? I cannot fathom wearing heels around the city, I simply cannot.

I‘m usually a Birkenstock fan but given my current blister situation I’m seriously at a loss. Tempted to wear running shoes everywhere and carry a purse with cute shoes and change before dining.

HELP. Seriously, give me all the advice.

Oh—additional info—I have majorly wide feet and easily blister. I have found approximately one pair of flats wearable ever—they tend to blister my heels.

PS—does anyone have SAs they love at any Vegas Cartier or VCA boutique and if so, can you please pass along names?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Tieks? Any feedback on those?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Fitflops!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I work in Vegas about 7 times a year, 8 days at a time, and walk an average of 6 to 7 miles per day on every one of those 8 days, so plus or minus 50 miles per trip.

Here are some links to the footwear that keeps me going:

Toe Socks - these prevent blisters and keep my feet nice and cool 18-hours straight.

Aerated Shoes - some people insert arch supports and some don't. But the coolness of mesh shoes has been my go-to for six years now. In spite of all other options (nike, dansko, etc) these are my Sine Qua Non, and I pack two pairs and swap out daily.

Obviously I wear all-black for work, but since your trip is for fun, why not go bold with colour?

Have a great trip!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I work in Vegas about 7 times a year, 8 days at a time, and walk an average of 6 to 7 miles per day on every one of those 8 days, so plus or minus 50 miles per trip.

Here are some links to the footwear that keeps me going:

Toe Socks - these prevent blisters and keep my feet nice and cool 18-hours straight.

Aerated Shoes - some people insert arch supports and some don't. But the coolness of mesh shoes has been my go-to for six years now. In spite of all other options (nike, dansko, etc) these are my Sine Qua Non, and I pack two pairs and swap out daily.

Obviously I wear all-black for work, but since your trip is for fun, why not go bold with colour?

Have a great trip!

I actually have a pair of those toe socks and they are truly amazing. Thank you for the reminder! If I put those with some running shoes I should be good for the day.

Any tips for dressier shoes for night? That’s where I truly feel stuck.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Fitflops!

I’m thinking those wouldn’t get past the restaurant dress codes in question, either. One is at the Wynn, so pretty dressy. I know it says no open toes and no sports wear. I can’t remember where the other is right this sec but it says something similar. This is where I feel stuck—dressy shoes for night that you can actually walk in.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to lead you astray here but I think you might be overthinking this. The glitter sneakers I linked above are often called "dance sneakers." They're meant to be a combo of comfortable and dressy. I don't think they'd be considered athletic wear. Similarly, I think dressy, glittery flip flops would be fine. If they literally meant no open-toed shoes, that would rule out some of the fanciest, most elegant shoes that women wear. I went all over Vegas in glittery, dressy flip flops (and nicely painted toenails), to plenty of nice places and felt completely "correct." I would have been shocked if anyone had confronted me about them.

I think they list these broad categories of what's not allowed to give them leeway in weeding out "undesirable" customers. For ex. gang members and prostitutes. I really don't think you'd have anything to worry about in either glittery sneakers or glittery "flip flops."

However, as I think you mentioned above, another option would be to carry a spare pair of shoes in a big purse, at least until you get a feel for what is appropriate. You could also email some of the restaurant managers for extra reassurance. Another option is to look at the reviews of this type of restaurant and check out the ones with photos to see what people are actually wearing there. I think the overall look is much more important than any one component of it but there's a huge range in dressiness there. Or I guess you could even get a doctor's note stating that you require extra comfortable shoes and carry it around with you. I do think you'd be just fine anyway, though.

I've also had to grapple with this issue since I have wide feet too, and older feet that are not nearly as cushiony as they once were. I simply don't do uncomfortable shoes anymore. No one has ever said anything to me about my beautiful glittery flip flops and probably didn't even notice them. Well, no, they do notice them because I've gotten a lot of compliments on them! If anyone did ever confront me, I'd begin loudly whining about the condition of my feet ha. Good luck with it. :)

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I don't want to lead you astray here but I think you might be overthinking this. The glitter sneakers I linked above are often called "dance sneakers." They're meant to be a combo of comfortable and dressy. I don't think they'd be considered athletic wear. Similarly, I think dressy, glittery flip flops would be fine. If they literally meant no open-toed shoes, that would rule out some of the fanciest, most elegant shoes that women wear. I went all over Vegas in glittery, dressy flip flops (and nicely painted toenails), to plenty of nice places and felt completely "correct." I would have been shocked if anyone had confronted me about them.

I think they list these broad categories of what's not allowed to give them leeway in weeding out "undesirable" customers. For ex. gang members and prostitutes. I really don't think you'd have anything to worry about in either glittery sneakers or glittery "flip flops."

However, as I think you mentioned above, another option would be to carry a spare pair of shoes in a big purse, at least until you get a feel for what is appropriate. You could also email the restaurant manager about it and keep their reply just in case anyone did get on you about it.

I've also had to grapple with this issue since I have wide feet and older feet that are not as cushiony as they used to be lol. I simply don't do uncomfortable shoes anymore. No one has ever said anything to me and probably even didn't even notice them. If anyone did ever confront me, I'd begin loudly whining about my orthopedic condition ha. Good luck with it. :)

Oh wow, it would be great to be overthinking this. I’ve never been to Vegas so I just assumed that no open toed shoes meant exactly that!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Fitflops sometimes offers dressier, non-flipflop types of shoes. I've seen flats on their site & I have a pair of patent loafers that were some of the best walking shoes I've ever owned. That said, I don't know how many closed-toe options they would have at this time of year.

I do not recommend Birdies. I've read the rave reviews but they must be written by people who typically wear 5-inch heels everywhere. They are not comfortable. And the seven layers of "padding" is a joke. YMMV, obviously.

It's possible that the no open-toe policy may only pertain to men. I seem to remember seeing that somewhere when I was looking into various things in Vegas.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I know you said every pair of flats has given you terrible blisters but anything that is made of soft, buttery leather should be fairly forgiving. To be fair, I've always been able to wear flats, but my feet do blister very easily. I've found a couple pairs of perfect flats from Sam Edelman that I've loved.
(And, they are SO much more comfortable than my Birdies, which are so uncomfortable I don't wear them out of the house & only kept them because I love the pom-pom design so much.)

Tieks would have even softer, more buttery leather but I don't have any so I can't comment on their wear. They could be handy for carrying with you, though because they are meant to be able to be folded in half. They do offer beautiful colors!!!

Good luck with the hunt for shoes & have fun in Vegas!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I can’t image that they would turn away sparkly slides-this is Vegas after all…

Attachments

• 589A2BAF-FCE8-4ABA-A643-EA5E673D6D22.jpeg
    589A2BAF-FCE8-4ABA-A643-EA5E673D6D22.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 758CB863-D6B7-4E08-B94A-1533D6095176.jpeg
    758CB863-D6B7-4E08-B94A-1533D6095176.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm like 99% sure the no open toed shoes is for men. If it just says no open toed shoes and no sportswear, its not actually that strict. They just dont want basketball shorts and flip flops lol. I'm totally on board with bringing shoes to change into though! Wear your runners (or whatever you end up with) and bring some flats that you already have if you're worried about feeling underdressed.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
If you are willing to share the names of the restaurants, I bet folks can weigh in on what is allowed.
I was in Vegas last year and ate at Bazaar Meat and Nobu and I wore ankle pants with a silk blouse and nice sandals. I found Vegas fairly casual overall, with some people super casual and some more dressed up.
No way they will bar women in open toe shoes in 100 degree weather!

Edit to add--my favorite stylish walking shoes are Olukai slip ons in leather.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Tieks? Any feedback on those?

I was just going to recommend Tieks. I don't have any experience with them, but I know plenty of folks who absolutely love them. And if your bag is large enough, you could wear your comfy sandals, they slip on the Tieks at the restaurant. Or what about something like Rothys?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rothy's--I see @lala646 just mentioned them. they are knit so stretch a fair amount for a wider foot (which my daughter has and she can wear them). I would suggest just the rounded toe ballet style "the flat" since I think it gives more room. An additional bonus is that they are washable.

I have Tieks in leather. They suggest you size down, or up with a wider foot. I sized up from a 7.5 to an 8 and I don't have a wide foot and I don't find them as comfortable. I think the toe box is very shallow. So I guess it depends on the shape of your foot and/or toes whether they work for you.

I also have some Sam Edelman ballet flats and find them comfortable.

I have Birdie's as well in a closed in style and the insole is some kind of plastic, even though the shoe is leather. The insole can get sticky so I wouldn't recommend them for super hot weather.

I agree with the others that dressy open toe shoes shouldn't be an issue at the nice restaurants. They really just want you to dress appropriately.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Rothy's--I see @lala646 just mentioned them. they are knit so stretch a fair amount for a wider foot (which my daughter has and she can wear them). I would suggest just the rounded toe ballet style "the flat" since I think it gives more room. An additional bonus is that they are washable.

I have Tieks in leather. They suggest you size down, or up with a wider foot. I sized up from a 7.5 to an 8 and I don't have a wide foot and I don't find them as comfortable. I think the toe box is very shallow. So I guess it depends on the shape of your foot and/or toes whether they work for you.

I also have some Sam Edelman ballet flats and find them comfortable.

I have Birdie's as well in a closed in style and the insole is some kind of plastic, even though the shoe is leather. The insole can get sticky so I wouldn't recommend them for super hot weather.

I agree with the others that dressy open toe shoes shouldn't be an issue at the nice restaurants. They really just want you to dress appropriately.

Oh, yikes, a plasticky insole sounds the opposite of what you want for hot weather. Will steer away from Bridies. Tieks may be worth checking out.

It is super helpful that so many of you say that the no open toed shoes thing might only apply to men! I may honestly call the restaurants tomorrow and ask. I cannot for the life of me remember the names. One is at the Wynn and overlooks the lake. But it would be a billion times easier if dressy sandals were a go.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love Lems... specifically the Women's Primal 2. They are made for wide feet/wide toe box, but more importantly, they are made to fit the natural contours of the feet (being wider around the toe area). Comfort is key for me, that is my priority always with shoes, to qualify what kind of shoe-gal I am. I have tried many different brands and kinds of shoes - support athletic sneakers, minimalist shoes, Dansko, Naot, etc. etc. I can wear Lems with socks or without socks (they are washable - I have washed them, they come out looking new and smelling fresh). I walk 5+ miles regularly in them without any discomfort or pain... I have hiked in them.... I refinish furniture in them (concrete floor)... I wear them in summer and winter (wool socks for winter)... you get the picture. :))

One last thing... I generally do not get complimented on my shoes. However, so many people have noticed these, said they loved them, and asked me what they are and where to get them. So I figure they must look cute to others too. (This is how i came by them myself - my sister was wearing the brown ones and I noticed the moment she walked in the door. I bought my first pair the same day and the moment I slipped them on it was like no other shoe I'd ever work. Comfort galore.)

They can look cute with dressier outfits, but certainly they are not going to compliment a truly dressy outfit. However you mentioned wearing sneakers the whole time, so I figured I would throw these out there.

Have fun in Vegas!!

1655382327639.png
1655382351389.png

Barkingatstrangers

Rough_Rock
I have wide feet too, and some years of experience with blisters from my time in classical ballet. First off, get some moleskin for your feet to wrap the blisters. Since you will likely sweat through a bandaid or any other first layer, I would also tape them, or even add a thin layer of paper towel or tissue before sliding your shoe over them. (That's how I'd get my pointe shoes on and keep them on through class and rehearsal, when my feet were shredded.)
I would also suggest a nice wedge for evening, if you find them comfortable for walking in, not too tall and in a breathable fabric (skip the leather, it's way too hot in the desert right now.) For daytime walking, stick to sandals or slides or tennis shoes with a shock-absorbent sole of at least an inch and half. Tieks and other flats are pretty, but they don't give you the springiness you need to avoid shin splints on pavement or hard surfaces when you may be walking what adds up to miles and miles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results