shape
carat
color
clarity

shipping ring across border for sizing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doctork

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever dealt with cross-border ring sizing? I''ll be in Canada and need to send my fiancee''s rings to WhiteFlash in the USA for sizing. I''m worried that I''ll have border problems with customs and/or GST/PST when the ring is coming back in. Correct me if I''m wrong, but I don''t think I should be charged GST when the ring comes back over the border since I''m not importing something new. How can I make sure I don''t have any problems?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about where you live but here in the UK you have to fill out forms to show you are returning something temporarily for repair. Then you don''t get charged again. Maybe you could call customs to see if its the same sort of procedure.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
I''d give WF a call.

I had the same concern sending mine from the UK back for sizing, when WF shipped it back they marked it as ''goods sent to US for repair''. There is also a additional process you''re supposed to go through in the UK so that the goods are logged on the way out and matched when they come back in, I don''t know if Canada is the same but it''s worth checking.

In the end the package slipped through (FedEx''s fault) and the proper paperwork wasn''t completed but everything seems fine, I had a call from FedEx asking for the air waybill it was shipped out on when it arrived back in the UK and that seems to be the end of it (now I''ve said that a huge invoice will turn up on the door step - fingers crossed!).

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Ah, you beat me to it Maisie!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 9:27:41 AM
Author: jenniann
Ah, you beat me to it Maisie!
hehe!

I had the same problem except now Fedex are trying to charge me £700! We are almost a year along and its still not sorted out
20.gif

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Sorry doctork, not trying to hijack your thread here!

FedEx in the UK refer to the process as a ''controlled shipment'', might be the same term in Canada. I only found out about needing to do this AFTER the package had been picked up so I spent the whole afternoon trying to hunt down the driver on his mobile to get him to come back!

I''d phone FedEx customer services and, if posible, try and speak to someone in the export department who knows what they''re talking about and GET THEIR NAME!

Sorry if I''m overcomplicating this, it''s probably much simper Canada - US than UK - US

doctork

Shiny_Rock
Wow quick replies! Thanks, I have an e-mail in to FedEx and Customs Canada. If I don''t hear anything useful soon I''ll hang out on the phone with them to get an answer. In the meantime I was hoping a fellow Canadian here might know the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results