shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Which delivery service, UPS, Fedex, US Registered mail, is the safest to ship a diamond??? Thanks ABBOTT

trid316

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, whichever one has the best insurance/coverage on the stone/ring. So make sure you have an appraisal value, and then when you go to send the stone/ring, ask how much it would cost you to insure your package, and tell them the value of the contents. Thus, whichever on is the most reasonable, and still covers the value of the diamond, would be your best bet. I''ve never had any qualms with any of the shippers, so I can''t honestly say which is best. But I would check out the insurance rates for sure!

Here''s USPS: http://usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/optionalserviceandfeaturefees.htm#RegisteredMail

Here''s UPS: http://ups.com/content/us/en/resources/select/sending/options/insurance.html

Couldn''t find on FedEx, you can just call/ask.....

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Is it a loose stone? If so, USPS registered mail will insure up to 25k. It will take a while to get to it''s destination.

If it''s in a ring (i.e. piece of jewelry), Mara shipped hers next day UPS w/ insurance.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve used both USPS Registered Mail and Fed Ex Next Day Air. I used USPS to ship my 0.55ct back to Whiteflash for my upgrade and it cost around $13. I used Fed Ex to ship my eternity band back to Signed Pieces for an exchange and it cost $60!

USPS definitely takes longer but to me I think it''s worth it if you''re not in a big hurry or not under a time constraint. USPS Registered Mail keeps the package under lock and key when it''s not "moving", where Fed Ex does not.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
USPS registered mail is, by a large margin, the method of choice for shipments between diamond dealers and jewelers unless that $25k limit comes into play. FedEx and UPS should only be used if you have a 3rd party insurance company that will cover the package. There are several companies that compete for this business from jewelers but, to the best of my knowledge, none are offering services to the general public. ''Declared Value'' is not the same thing as insurance. Both FedEx and UPS have special rules and exclusions that relate to jewelry and gemstones. Read the rules carefully, they seriously limit you.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A consumer may only ship an unset diamond with insurance for loss or damage with USPS. I suggest Registered Mail up to 25K insured value. Any diamoind in excess of that value will need the full value reported, although 25K is the maximum insurance possible. Declaring the full value for USPS is the right method. Replacement Value is correct and have good receipts for what you paid to prove the value if it becomes lost or damaged. You can use overnight Express Mail with up to 5K insurance, too. Don't waste your money on Priority Registered Mail...Just Registered. No need for return receipts, etc. You can track it for free on the Internet, so paying more for a Return Receipt is a definite waste.

UPS will not handle ANY unset gemstones. It is a private company and that is their rule. They will not say why. It is their rule and that's it. If you get away with shipping an unset gem with them, they may return it to you, or if it gets lost, they won't pay you a dime of coverage....So forget UPS for unset gems. If the stone is PERMANENTLY SET in a REAL piece of jewelry you can ship UPS up to 25K or possibly even 50K with coverage for loss or damage. Do not send diamond temporarily set in a clip holder. It won't fly with UPS...... Ship only overnight on weekdays, Monday-Thursday for delivery that week by Friday. Do not ship over a weekend if you can avoid it. A Saturday delivery costs $10 more, but is okay if the extra cost is no problem.

Fed-Ex offers zero coverage for jewelry.....so NO WAY.

Jewelers have private coverage that allows them to ship unset diamonds via UPS and to even use Fed-Ex. Consumers cannot use this insurance, so be careful. Also, be sure to document the value with original receipts whenever possible. Don't wait for a loss to try to prove the value. Put the contentsw on a copy machine before sending it, so you can show what the contents of the package actually were.

As you can tell, we've shipped a few things. Mostly with success. We recently had a problem with a shipment and it stimulated a raft of re-thinking the subject along with my staff. Just because I know something does not mean it has been communicated to others properly. We live, and hopefully, learn.

Rock Music

Rough_Rock
oldminer wrote:
"Fed-Ex offers zero coverage for jewelry.....so NO WAY."

Doesn''t BN use FedEx?

abbott

Shiny_Rock
It is a ring, appraisal 30K.. UPS overnight with 30K insurance is around $125... I''ve used registered mail before... snail delivery... took forever !!! No reason not to wait for the ring, other than the worry.. if and when it will arrive. So... to be on the safe side, you would use USPS and wait???
Abbott

murray93

Rough_Rock
USPS is the safest, best way to ship a loose stone. ANd quite inexpensive to boot. Just insure for the full amount and you''ll be fine!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2005 11:55:58 AM
Author: Rock Music
oldminer wrote:
''Fed-Ex offers zero coverage for jewelry.....so NO WAY.''

Doesn''t BN use FedEx?
Blue Nile has their own private shipping insurance. Oldminer is correct. Fed-ex will offer no coverage for an individual shipping jewelry. For other items, I believe their limit is $500.00.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Vendors who ship with FedEx, UPS, etc. have 3rd party insurance up to, usually, $75K. Above that expect a Birinks truck to pull up in front of your house!
36.gif
...makes a great proposal statement!!
30.gif

USPS registered, insured is the way for the public to go...THE safest!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know most say to use USPS registered insured but I could not stomach the thought of my ring out there for 5 days floating around...

So I used UPS this last time around, they let me insure it, she checked the box to ensure there was a package and a diamond ring in there, and I dropped it off at 5:30pm and it arrived at WF at 10: 00am. I prefer less time in transit, definitely. One note, if you use UPS go to their actual facility, not a Mailboxes Etc as they use different insurance companies so the MBE insurance was going to be $200 while the same amount of insurance at the UPS Facility was $50.00. Plus one less hand to touch IMO.

Oh yes and F&I made the important point, UPS will insure and ship a RING or JEWELRY ITEM...but not a loose stone.

Oh and my UPS agent was so freaked out that I was shipping an expensive item, I was asking all sorts of Q's re: shipment etc and asked if they had ever had a claim like this on a lost piece of jewelry and she said 'not for $12k'...hee hee. So maybe they take more care with more exp items, who knows. Or maybe that was my delusion.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results