shape
carat
color
clarity

She said YES!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sdevante

Rough_Rock
Here''s the story, with pictures attached afterwards:

During my trip to Colombia, everyone in Maria’s family pretty much knew I was going to talk to her father and ask his permission to propose to her, sometime down the road. What nobody did know was that I had planned to propose the same day he said yes (assuming he said yes).

My spanish is not what I’d like it to be, so I wrote out a letter in spanish to read to him while in the States. The day before her mother left Colombia to come back to the U.S. (Monday) was the day I planned to seek his permission. Her mom was aware of that and so was her aunt, so her aunt set us up with reservations at a nice restaurant.

Maria suggested I soften the blow with a bottle of scotch. So we bought a bottle and came back to her parents house where her Mum proceeded to pour me a glass before I went upstairs to talk to her father. Soon enough, her aunt was dragging me by the hand up the stairs to talk to her father. So in my best broken spanish, I asked if we could have a drink and have a talk. He told me to take a seat, poured two drinks and then asked in English: “John, what do you have to say to me?”

I then read my little letter, trying not to mess the pronunciation up too badly. In closing, I asked for his permission, and his blessing, to propose. Though I had hoped for a simple “Sí” or “No,” he replied with a lot of stuff; some of which I understood, most of which I did not. However, the things I did understand were very sweet and I eventually pieced together that he was saying yes.

Shortly thereafter, Maria, her mum, her aunt, and her aunt’s boyfriend came up to take pictures and were crying and hugging everybody. It was a very sweet moment, and after some of the things I’ve been through, it was a real blessing to feel so much love and support from everyone in the family.

We then hopped in some cars, along with her Dad’s friend Herri, and went to a wonderful restaurant high up on the mountain side of Medellín. We sat at a table on the balcony, off to ourselves, which overlooked the entire city (the city itself is in a valley surrounded by steep mountains; it is virtually impossible to go anywhere there without having a beautiful view of the city at night). The waiter came to take drink orders, and then when he came back with drinks and inquired about food orders, I replied “Un momento, por favor.”

I then stood up, and as near as I can tell (this was all in Spanish), I think I made a toast, first to her family and friends for their friendship and love, and then proceeded to profess my undying love to Maria (which things need not be said here), but I concluded with “Te quiero, te deseo, te necesito, y te amo” (I want you, I desire you, I need you, and I love you), got down on one knee, and then asked “Quieres casarte conmigo?” (Will you marry me).

She said a lot of things, and I had to ask her again in English just to make sure she had said yes in there somewhere, but the beauty of Medellín’s lights dotting the velvet landscape dimmed in comparison to her smile.

Her mother and aunt were crying, the men were quite congratulatory, hugs (and pictures) again abounded, and overall, it was a very intense and emotional evening. But I was so thankful for the show of support from everyone in her family.

The next day, as her mother was hugging me before she had to go board her flight, I told her “Gracias para todo” (Thanks for everything) and she told me “No, gracias a ti” (Thanks to you). I am honored that not just Maria, but her entire family, are truly happy for this joy that we have found together.

BW-Beauty 2.jpg

sdevante

Rough_Rock
Us and her aunt

TiaGloria888882934098.JPG

sdevante

Rough_Rock
Her making a pouty face and threatening me if I ever look at another woman. Lol.

Fisty.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations sdevante!!!

The ring is beautiful, and you tell such a sweet story
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful story!! Thank you for sharing it with us. Congratulations on your engagment!!!

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Awww congrats!!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful story and ring!
30.gif

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Awww...such a wonderful story & lovely ring! Congratulations -- wishing a lifetime of happiness to you both!

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 7:01:54 PM
Author:sdevante
Here''s the story, with pictures attached afterwards:

some of which I understood, most of which I did not. However, the things I did understand were very sweet and I eventually pieced together that he was saying yes.

Those must have been some L O N G seconds/minutes!!!!

I''ve been following your story and waiting to hear the outcome. CONGRATS to you and your fiance!!!
It''s awesome that you pulled it off in Spanish.
36.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement!!!! May you two have a long and happy life together!!!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations. Wishing you both a long and happy marriage.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats. :)

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Woo Hoo!!! Congrats on your engagement...the ring is beautiful. Thank you for letting us share your joy.
36.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
so cute.. congrats!!
37.gif

sdevante

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. I couldn''t have pulled off anything nearly as nice without all the wisdom and experience on this board. I often caught her flicking the ring in the light and staring at it. I think she was quite pleased.

And yes, trying to figure out exactly what her father was saying did seem like an eternity.... and it wasn''t until after I figured out what he had said that I finally felt the scotch kick in a little bit. LOL. :)

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How wonderful!
36.gif
Beautiful story and a beautiful gal!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
what a great story and congratulations!!!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! You guys make a great couple!!
36.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Take good care of both her and you, and enjoy the happiness of a wonderful family to marry into.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I love a happy ending!!!

Congratulations! What a wonderful story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results