shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your Thanksgiving Day Disaters!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
When so many people come together, awesomely (yep, that is a word) funny things are bound to happen. So far we have no hot water and my huband's dog got stranded in the backyard. He ran thru the snow and found a patch of open grass by the fence all the way in the back. Then I hear the screams. They sound like a very long, very high pitched siren :errrr: I called him back in but when his paw touched the snow the siren would begin again. I went out and rescued him from the snow. Such a baby! :rolleyes:

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The year I moved in with my now husband we hosted my entire family for turkey day. We had about 14 or so people and I had enough food to feed a small army. Well, minus turkey. The turkey was apparently not entirely defrosted when it went into the oven, so it didn't roast properly and wasn't done when it was time to eat. So we kept it in the oven and ate our sides, but then forgot about it! Fast forward 3 hours, we had a dry, dessicated turkey and ended up chucking it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one from several years ago... I made this wonderful cornbread stuffing - my best one ever... huge chunks of cornbread moistened just right... and I went to cook something else, forget what, and I turned the burner under my pyrex on by mistake and I can THANKFULLY report that no one was near the oven when it EXPLODED all over the room. We found glass 15 feet away for days... I had a couple pieces stuck in my leg... the thing didn't just shatter it shattered into shards of flying shrapnel. Like I said, good thing no one was standing there... but the sound of tinkling glass hitting the floor reminded me of the sound the bullets made in the first matrix movie....

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
Cehrabehra|1290706943|2779157 said:
I have one from several years ago... I made this wonderful cornbread stuffing - my best one ever... huge chunks of cornbread moistened just right... and I went to cook something else, forget what, and I turned the burner under my pyrex on by mistake and I can THANKFULLY report that no one was near the oven when it EXPLODED all over the room. We found glass 15 feet away for days... I had a couple pieces stuck in my leg... the thing didn't just shatter it shattered into shards of flying shrapnel. Like I said, good thing no one was standing there... but the sound of tinkling glass hitting the floor reminded me of the sound the bullets made in the first matrix movie....

:o
That is crazy! I can't believe your stuffing masterpiece nearly killed you. This surely must be one of the top rated disasters. I mean it involves shrapnel.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra|1290706943|2779157 said:

EEEK :shock:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, we are snowed in yet again today. And I called my step MIL to let her know we aren't making the 100 mile drive in our rear wheel drive car. She just piled about a ton of guilt on me, and while I know it is mostly that she wanted to see is (which is nice) I just wish she'd been a smidge understanding- I mean, I wish we could be there but I'm not risking life and limb to make it. I told her we'd call and make plans to get together ASAP, like this weekend or something, but she was still pissed. Sigh.

We will be having eggs and toast for dinner, possibly French toast if I'm feeling fancy, since that's the sum total of fresh food in the house, after four days of being stuck in here. Blah.

It is amazing how well pyrex detonates when put on a hot burner. I may or may not know from experience :oops:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1290706570|2779148 said:
The year I moved in with my now husband we hosted my entire family for turkey day. We had about 14 or so people and I had enough food to feed a small army. Well, minus turkey. The turkey was apparently not entirely defrosted when it went into the oven, so it didn't roast properly and wasn't done when it was time to eat. So we kept it in the oven and ate our sides, but then forgot about it! Fast forward 3 hours, we had a dry, dessicated turkey and ended up chucking it.
Been there, done that!! It was the first time we hosted Thanksgiving for our family too! :errrr:

I have an ongoing turkey day debacle. I CANNOT EVER get the gravy to thicken!!! Gravy is the bane of my existance, and since it is the last thing to do before sitting down to eat it always puts me in the growliest mood!! Well, we just finished another delicious turkey dinner moistened by bird flavored water. :nono:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My mom just called me at work, first time I have talked to her since Christmas 2008. She accused me of stealing her QVC 18k chains, one of which had a white topaz pendant. She claimed I stole her diamond studs from the kitchen and replaced them with ones that had smaller stones.
She was right on one thing, I did steal a paring knife. My dad made a set of knives for her when he married my mom, and she took the one knife I had always used growing up, and stuck it point first down a drain. I had found the knife like that in 2008, and took it. Dad and mom are still married, but because of her violence over the years, dad moved a few miles away around 15 years ago. I told dad I had taken the knife he made, and he was glad I had it.

My teen daughter sided with my mom. I gave her all the pieces mom ever gave me but two pairs of earrings and a cross I had since 16. I have never felt so free in my life.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Well... I ended up going to urgent care today. I have the flu (influenza, not stomach) AND a bacterial sinus infection. DH also has the flu (from me). I had to start anti-biotics for the sinus infection and he is on tamiflu (which I can't take since i'm pregnant). Oh, and the Lions lost. What a crappy day. I couldn't even taste the pumpkin roll my mom made special for me! ;(

Sorry, pity party over.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you feel better soon Tuckins! Having one of those things is bad enough, but BOTH at the same time? Ugh. I can only imagine how you must feel. :knockout: I hope your husband feels better soon too.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Last year I didn't defrost the turkey enough so my husband ran down to boston market to get a new turkey which my sister promptly posted pictures of all over facebook lol. This year everyone was asking if we had to go to boston market again :nono: Everything came out pretty good this year except I forgot to take the giblets and turkey neck out of the turkey! I swear I looked in that thing upside down and didn't see anything! Also the mashed potatoes didn't get very mashed as I didn't own a potato masher so I substituted a meat tenderizer mallet...which doesn't work very well lol Next year should be interesting with a little one around to throw a wrench in the mix haha

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
Awww, Tuckins I hope you feel better really soon. You know there were 2 years in a row where I got strep throat like right on Thanksgiving. I ended up not even being able to the mashed potatos!!! It's so wrong to be sick on Thanksgiving. Like cosmically wrong.

LGK-I'm sorry you got snowed in! French toast sounds really good though!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
There is a history in my family of turkey disasters. About five years ago, my mother's 20 lb-er caught fire in the oven. The next year, it was blaze-free, but when my Dad took it out of the oven, he promptly dropped it on the floor.

Needless to say, my parents no longer host Thanksgiving.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1290785916|2779697 said:
I hope you feel better soon Tuckins! Having one of those things is bad enough, but BOTH at the same time? Ugh. I can only imagine how you must feel. :knockout: I hope your husband feels better soon too.

Thank you! I am feeling a little better since the antibiotics have kicked in... Still can't go too far from the couch. I did manage to get the tree up!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Berryluv|1290799376|2779842 said:
Awww, Tuckins I hope you feel better really soon. You know there were 2 years in a row where I got strep throat like right on Thanksgiving. I ended up not even being able to the mashed potatos!!! It's so wrong to be sick on Thanksgiving. Like cosmically wrong.

LGK-I'm sorry you got snowed in! French toast sounds really good though!

Thanks for the well wishes! I wonder why it always seems like we get sick right when we have vacation/holiday?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results