shape
carat
color
clarity

Shameless promotion... Attention Music Lovers!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello PS community. Some of you know I was once a band director in TX and currently serve on the Board Of Directors for Music For All.

Tonight is special for me. One of my former students, Michael Lee, has advanced to the Live Voting rounds on NBC's The Voice.

For interested music lovers - click any of these!

To fans of the show. As a member of this community I'd like to vouch for Michael. I've known him since Junior High. He was a soft-spoken, respectful kid with a positive attitude and a burning love of music. He started with saxophone, then picked up guitar while in the jazz band, eventually taking voice lessons from the high school choir director to emulate his favorite blues and soul influences. He was a teacher's dream, maintaining high marks in all classes while exploring diverse musical styles in his spare time. His positive attitude and hard work in all areas earned the respect of his peers and teachers alike. He was voted a student leader in our highly competitive 250+ member band at L.D. Bell High School. He helped his peers earn a Texas State Marching Title, multiple Regional and Super-Regional championships with Bands Of America and many other accolades. Most importantly, his amazing musicianship never overshadowed his team-spirit and citizenship. He was still soft-spoken and respectful when he graduated in '06, now armed with knowledge and talent.

He never swerved. He continued chasing his musical passion after graduating and has been nose-to-grindstone, playing in small venues around the Southwest for a dozen years... And now he is on The Voice.

He is also newly married. Here's 90 seconds with Michael and Michelle, produced by Music For All.

I'm posting this information because I know how details resonate with this diverse and discerning community. For any who follow NBC's The Voice I hope a peek behind the curtain is enjoyable. And if my shameless promotion gets Michael a few of your votes I believe I'm doing my job as a music education advocate - since Michael credits what he learned in public school music for his professional success.

Thanks for putting up with this old music teacher in a moment of pride.

John

PS: And yes. I supplied the diamond with which he recently proposed... :sun: ...Michelle is a special-education teacher by the way.

michael-lee-whipping-post.png
michael-michelle-lee.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazing John!
I can feel you beaming from across the country!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What an extremely talented and impressive young man! His BB King! Damn! Haha, Jennifer Hudson’s reaction! Mind blown! Thank you for posting this John, I for one will be tuning in and he has my vote! You have every reason to be proud of this kid! :clap:

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazing John! I can feel you beaming from across the country!
He's crushing it all, but I think his rendition of Whipping Post above is jaw-dropping. The 11/8 chorus slays me and he didn't blink. Appreciate your comment, as I know you're a musician too David.

Wow! What an extremely talented and impressive young man! His BB King! Damn! Haha, Jennifer Hudson’s reaction! Mind blown! Thank you for posting this John, I for one will be tuning in and he has my vote! You have every reason to be proud of this kid! :clap:
Thank you @Bonfire! That means a lot. And yes....David nailed it...I am beaming. :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed that, John. I have seen some television shows that showcase talent, but I must never have seen this one before because the format was unfamiliar to me. I think I saw "Britain's Got Talent" a few times. (I'm not sure that was the title.) So the turning chairs and the the progressing from one kind of "round" to another (singing alone, singing "against" someone else, etc.) was strange to me. Your student, however, was great. Thank you for sharing that.

Deb :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are an all-star JP so it just follows naturally that you would have a hand in developing that potential in others :kiss2:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! What talent! You must be bursting with pride to know you’ve had a hand in cultivating him! I’ve never watched the show, but will be tuning in now for sure!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello PS community. Some of you know I was once a band director in TX and currently serve on the Board Of Directors for Music For All.

Tonight is special for me. One of my former students, Michael Lee, has advanced to the Live Voting rounds on NBC's The Voice.

For interested music lovers - click any of these!

To fans of the show. As a member of this community I'd like to vouch for Michael. I've known him since Junior High. He was a soft-spoken, respectful kid with a positive attitude and a burning love of music. He started with saxophone, then picked up guitar while in the jazz band, eventually taking voice lessons from the high school choir director to emulate his favorite blues and soul influences. He was a teacher's dream, maintaining high marks in all classes while exploring diverse musical styles in his spare time. His positive attitude and hard work in all areas earned the respect of his peers and teachers alike. He was voted a student leader in our highly competitive 250+ member band at L.D. Bell High School. He helped his peers earn a Texas State Marching Title, multiple Regional and Super-Regional championships with Bands Of America and many other accolades. Most importantly, his amazing musicianship never overshadowed his team-spirit and citizenship. He was still soft-spoken and respectful when he graduated in '06, now armed with knowledge and talent.

He never swerved. He continued chasing his musical passion after graduating and has been nose-to-grindstone, playing in small venues around the Southwest for a dozen years... And now he is on The Voice.

He is also newly married. Here's 90 seconds with Michael and Michelle, produced by Music For All.

I'm posting this information because I know how details resonate with this diverse and discerning community. For any who follow NBC's The Voice I hope a peek behind the curtain is enjoyable. And if my shameless promotion gets Michael a few of your votes I believe I'm doing my job as a music education advocate - since Michael credits what he learned in public school music for his professional success.

Thanks for putting up with this old music teacher in a moment of pride.

John

PS: And yes. I supplied the diamond with which he recently proposed... :sun: ...Michelle is a special-education teacher by the way.

michael-lee-whipping-post.png
michael-michelle-lee.jpg

App Downloaded and votes cast... AMAZING!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I played piano since 5 and as a recreational singer myself, I'm very impressed with Michael's mega talent and see why @John Pollard is so proud of him. It's a no brainier he's got a very bright future!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really enjoyed that, John. I have seen some television shows that showcase talent, but I must never have seen this one before because the format was unfamiliar to me. I think I saw "Britain's Got Talent" a few times. (I'm not sure that was the title.) So the turning chairs and the the progressing from one kind of "round" to another (singing alone, singing "against" someone else, etc.) was strange to me. Your student, however, was great. Thank you for sharing that. Deb :wavey:
@AGBF - My wife has been a fan of the show for a long time. I've typically watched the finals because the talent is amazing, but never immersed myself from the start through blind auditions, battles and knockouts. Something really cool to watch has been the camaraderie behind the scenes. I've had the opportunity to sit with Michael & Michelle in the last weeks, and all of the contestants already see this exposure as a 'win...' While they will all work to advance, they're already largely happy and genuinely excited for each other. I love that aspect of music. We can have extremely competitive personalities - all pushing themselves to be the best - but even in competition they are able to recognize and celebrate the talents of others.

You are an all-star JP so it just follows naturally that you would have a hand in developing that potential in others :kiss2:
You're the best @Matata . Considering the way I was raised, and my mother's operatic roots, you may be able to substitute 'primo uomo' for all-star...with a side of the associated stereotyping, haha...but I swear I come by it honestly. :)

Wow! What talent! You must be bursting with pride to know you’ve had a hand in cultivating him! I’ve never watched the show, but will be tuning in now for sure!
@yennyfire - It was insane that he was the lead-off candidate last night. Hopefully he got enough votes to advance to the round of 12. We will see! And thank you for the mention.

:eek2: :clap::clap::clap:

HOLY WHIPPING POST BATMAN!
That pretty much sums it up. :lol:

App Downloaded and votes cast... AMAZING!
Thank you my diamond brother. :sun:

I played piano since 5 and as a recreational singer myself, I'm very impressed with Michael's mega talent and see why @John Pollard is so proud of him. It's a no brainier he's got a very bright future!
That's what I am hoping. I love that he is using his "moment" for advocacy. He has already been out speaking to youth organizations, our local high schools' International Baccalaureate Music Theory classes, to members of school bands, choirs and orchestras, etc - reinforcing those students' decisions to participate in active music-making in their communities.

Thanks for sharing the moment. I've been smiling ear to ear.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
My musical ear was very much fine tuned during my years involved in the Austin live music scene. His old soul ranks right up there with the legends! He lays it down like a very seasoned pro. The confidence in his craft is off the charts!

And as a mother who has had three kids in music (viola, piano, voice, trumpet, guitar, French horn, and flugelhorn between them) I am a huge advocate for keeping quality music and arts programs in our schools. I’m glad he is using his platform in such an enriching way for others.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
faintthud.gif

That voice, is the LAST thing I would think would come out of that skinny, cute kid. Wow. What a gift. You must be so proud John! :sun:

I don't normally watch, but I will just to hear him... :appl:

Now I will finish the videos, I only watched the very first one. :lol:

BTW, good to "see" you! :wavey:

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't really watch The Voice but I will vote!!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My musical ear was very much fine tuned during my years involved in the Austin live music scene. His old soul ranks right up there with the legends! He lays it down like a very seasoned pro. The confidence in his craft is off the charts!

And as a mother who has had three kids in music (viola, piano, voice, trumpet, guitar, French horn, and flugelhorn between them) I am a huge advocate for keeping quality music and arts programs in our schools. I’m glad he is using his platform in such an enriching way for others.
Thank YOU for supporting your kids in music. And I am sure your ear was tuned, indeed. That Austin scene is a nexus of amazing/upcoming talent. In fact Michael performs there with some regularity.
faintthud.gif

That voice, is the LAST thing I would think would come out of that skinny, cute kid. Wow. What a gift. You must be so proud John! :sun: I don't normally watch, but I will just to hear him... :appl:Now I will finish the videos, I only watched the very first one. :lol: BTW, good to "see" you! :wavey:
Good to 'see' you too M'Lady!

That's the coolest part of watching Michael for the first time. It's like - What!? - where are you hiding those pipes!? :D

I don't really watch The Voice but I will vote!!
Thanks @Vera. Unfortunately he had to perform 1st of 24 candidates and half the field got eliminated. He did not make the cut. In competitive music auditions we call the first position the 'kiss of death.' But, in defense of the process, the ultimate winner in a contest like this one would likely overcome early-placement.

Anxious to tip a glass with Michael and Michelle when they return home. For certain, I hope the experience, exposure and networking open some doors for them.

Thanks, all, for enjoying the moment with me.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is incredible, @John Pollard ! I didn’t realize you were associated with Music For All. That is one of the top contenders for our 13-year-old percussionist for summer camp. He also wants to go to Birch Creek in Door County WI, but that is two weeks long and I’m not sure about that at his age.

Music has changed him—he used to be a very quiet, shy kid. He’s still an observer, but percussion has given him the confidence that has literally changed his life. We can’t wait to see what his future holds.

This weekend is the district state festival (ILMEA), and I’ll be one proud mama in the audience!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is incredible, @John Pollard ! I didn’t realize you were associated with Music For All. That is one of the top contenders for our 13-year-old percussionist for summer camp. He also wants to go to Birch Creek in Door County WI, but that is two weeks long and I’m not sure about that at his age.
@KristinTech , I instructed the marching drumline at MFA Summer Symposium for over 10 years. It's hands-down the best summer camp experience for young musicians, in large part because of exposure to so many amazing facets - including nightly concerts with the most amazing artists - and culminating in the Drum Corps International show that occurs at the end of the week. In fact, we may have Michael Lee come out this year and give one of the evening concerts, or be a part of the camp jazz ensemble.

Music has changed him—he used to be a very quiet, shy kid. He’s still an observer, but percussion has given him the confidence that has literally changed his life. We can’t wait to see what his future holds. This weekend is the district state festival (ILMEA), and I’ll be one proud mama in the audience!
Brava to you and bravo to him! And please don't hesitate to take your advocacy to school administrators local to you. Extracurricular programs which are key to developing teamwork and expression in young people, including the fine arts, are in constant danger of budgetary reduction or elimination in public schools. Even one letter or phone call can make a difference in maintaining or advancing the resources those programs need.

And THANK you for mentioning your son here - my brother and sister and I were also changed by our high school fine arts programs for the positive. It's my #1 focus outside of my "day job." :D

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are all music, all the time in this house (also chorus/orchestra with big sister). I will keep diamond pics out of this, but one of my first photo shoots with my CBI was the ring balanced on a marimba mallet. :lol: (And also the antique violin!).

We have a local Music Parents advocacy group that GREATLY helps support our directors. The woman who tapped Jonas’ inner musician doesn’t know the kid before percussion. I think that’s really neat. She only knows him as a confident “leader” (that’s what she calls him!!). It makes me smile, just typing that!

Here is Jonas playing White Knuckle Stroll (self-taught summer before 8th grade). Once private lessons started again this fall, he cleaned it up a bit.
As much as I want him to be a snare drummer in marching band, his heart is with pitched percussion. High school next year! We’ll see! We just found out today that he was awarded a place in the All-Illinois junior high band—first chair.

This is the first time we ever told him, “ENOUGH!!” when he was practicing this summer. He only broke one mallet in the process. :lol-2:

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's great @KristinTech! Curious, who advised you to make the video from an overhead angle? I only ask because when I was teaching I always had my students do this, but it was before camera-phones were practical so they would often rig a line overhead from which they'd hang a camera. In any case, I wish more young percussionists would do this. Making self-recordings is a tremendous way to improve.

Does Jonas have two friends with similar mindset and abilities? They'd love a piece called Stubernic by Mark Ford, who is a buddy of mine @ The University of North Texas. It's possible they already know it, given the great access to literature the internet affords. It's actually one of two pieces in the same channel - a great skill-builder and crowd-pleaser.

And here we go; I can't resist the soapbox. It's tremendous that Jonas considers melodic percussion the 'favorite' (that's an instructor's dream). That said, I hope he's good to constantly woodshed his rudiments. I insisted that my snare/tenor focused players pass all barriers on marimba and timp, and my marimbists/timpanists pass all rudimental barriers - and all of them pass some basic drum set barriers - because the skills are all complimentary.

Thanks for sharing that video!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@John Pollard - I will ask him about Stubernic! He is always looking for partner pieces.

I think Jonas got the idea from different YouTube artists he follows. This particular video was filmed at school—his director told him he could record at the end of the day. She and the orchestra teacher (his former elementary music ed teacher!) helped him to affix his cell phone via velcro to a strip hanging from the ceiling! He wanted to record this for Artifact Percussion. He tagged them on his Instagram account (their custom mallets) at a previous home recording, playing on a student xylophone that we have. Artifact messaged him and asked if he could record on a marimba instead of his xylophone. If he could, they said, they’d like to post the video on their Facebook page. The piece was written for marimba.

We will keep him working on all areas! It does help that all of these special festivals and “honor bands” require auditions on snare/mallet/timpani. We have also been blessed with an awesome director and private lesson instructors that stay on him. :)

His director was the one encouraging us to consider Music For All if we didn’t go with University of Illinois Summer Youth Music. Indiana is not that far of a drive for us! I’m glad you posted about your former student, and I got to learn more about the program!

Have fun celebrating with him and his family when he returns to TX!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results