shape
carat
color
clarity

Shallow OMC

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
How shallow is too shallow?

I am considering a OMC ring with a shallow center stone(53% depth with 52% table), I have only seen pics and videos of it and not in person yet. So I am wondering if any of you have an OMC that is shallow and what your thoughts on it are? Is it a lively stone at all or do you feel it is lacking in the sparkle department? I love OMC's for their wonkiness and usually their chuckiness, so am also a bit worried I will miss it's lack of puffiness ;-).

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
How shallow is too shallow?

I am considering a OMC ring with a shallow center stone(53% depth with 52% table), I have only seen pics and videos of it and not in person yet. So I am wondering if any of you have an OMC that is shallow and what your thoughts on it are? Is it a lively stone at all or do you feel it is lacking in the sparkle department? I love OMC's for their wonkiness and usually their chuckiness, so am also a bit worried I will miss it's lack of puffiness ;-).

Do you have pictures or videos you could show of it?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I will try to post some :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I would be so jealous of the spread! But a lot of shallow omc would have some negative impact such as a dead centre/fish eye etc. Do you have pictures?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a shallow OEC - 50% depth with 51% table and I haven't seen any situations where my OEC is lifeless or looks blah. It does favour white light more than colour but I get a lot of fire and twinkle off it. I would love a high crown for the 3d sculptural effect and greater presence but this one comes with a great spread so the trade-off was worth it for me.
Given how rare that colour is, I'd take a chance on it, assuming you can return it if you don't love it, and put it through its paces at home in the lighting you're usually in

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I agree on both counts. I love the combo and as a colored diamond lover have found that you usually have to change cut expectations.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:lickout::love:This would be a dream piece for me and if I had the money I definitely would.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou I tend to love the slightly unusual so really gravitated toward her! I have a Fancy Deep Yellow RB with Strong Green Fluor so know they can be real chameleons and lots of fun in the sunlight :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I definitely think that when you through a FCD into the mix then the cut becomes an exception. I think it looks great!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@maryjane04 I agree, since my first love is FCD’s cut is something that is usually a bit lower on the list, but I still don’t want the stone to be a dud ;-).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving her for her color and realize the cut is not ideal for an OMC, but am hoping she is not a dud in the sparkle department with her shallow cut! 693C6470-156C-4B56-9D5E-491A45A14143.jpeg

Ooooh!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@maryjane04 I agree, since my first love is FCD’s cut is something that is usually a bit lower on the list, but I still don’t want the stone to be a dud ;-).

Can you return it if you don't love it? I actually find the wonkiness quite charming. And that color is KAPOW!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stepcutnut This is what it looks like from the side
This is what I wish it looked like!
Face on it’s got the flowery facets I love 651150

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@foxinsox Your stone is lovely! Thanks so much for posting her :) I really like her setting also-a beautiful combo!!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Amazing stone! I can’t wait to see video on your hand! Pretty please :)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That ring is amazing, special and WOW. (Color of that center stone, the BEAUTIFUL pear sides, etc.) I once bought and returned a shallow OMC that was all crown and very small pavilion. Yours also seems to be all crown and small pavilion. I regret returning that special diamond to this day! The crown was fine, nice and puffy. Seriously, your ring is spectacular. I can’t wait to see how you like it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see your OMC ring! My OEC is 54% depth with a 51% table and I am very happy with her:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results