shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings sphene

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I’m thinking about have a round sphere set into a pendant. Are prongs the way to go? Do I have to do 18k gold or can I get away with 14k yg?

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In the thread title, you mention "sphene," but in the body you mention "sphere." Is it a sphene, or a sphere, or a sphere sphene? :lol:

If sphene, I would assume either would be fine in terms of gold type. With sphene being so soft, I would just make sure that the person doing the work is very well-versed in working with stones that have such "challenges." I think you're definitely wise choosing a pendant for this project, rather than something that might have potential for more abuse over time. I love sphene! One of the most incredible showmen of the gem world. Can't wait to see it!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the thread title, you mention "sphene," but in the body you mention "sphere." Is it a sphene, or a sphere, or a sphere sphene? :lol:

If sphene, I would assume either would be fine in terms of gold type. With sphene being so soft, I would just make sure that the person doing the work is very well-versed in working with stones that have such "challenges." I think you're definitely wise choosing a pendant for this project, rather than something that might have potential for more abuse over time. I love sphene! One of the most incredible showmen of the gem world. Can't wait to see it!
I wrote sphere? Lol!! Oops! I did mean sphene. Thank you for letting me know. I’m definitely going to make sure the jeweler I end up working with is used to setting such soft stone. Thank you for replying!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Prongs should be the 'softer' way. And I second the sphene opinion: FANATATASTIK!!!!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
5BF7C149-47D9-4BE5-BEC7-2D457F6EA04A.jpeg 2F43FB08-084C-4263-9A9A-1F886B9F482B.jpeg
Thank you @Anne111
So the plan will be to get the sphene set in a pendant with prongs. I just love sphene and the rainbow dispersion! I wanted one for a while and I just want to do it right. Here are some photos. In the top photo, the sphene is between my chrysoberyl and peridot. I find sphene difficult to photograph. It’s prettier and a little greener IRL.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've had it done. Let me tell you something, the person that does it will likely hate you. Make sure they're not just somebody that sets diamonds either.

Sphene is soft. soft enough that it can get crushed if the prong is put on at the wrong angle.

The guy that did mine said NEVER AGAIN. :lol-2: He set all my other stones but nothing as soft as that again!

So take it to your jeweler and make sure they're ok with it. Make sure you're ok with it if the damn thing cracks under pressure (yes they can!)

It takes a very deft hand and someone who understand softer stones to do this right.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice @Arcadian ! I hope the jeweler won’t hate me, but oh well.

I am going to try to take it to a jeweler at a gem show. He has set chrysoberyl, tourmaline and spinel for me. He also set my friend’s demantoid. I almost bought a sphalerite from another vendor last year. That vendor said he knew someone who could set it. I think he meant the jeweler I know, but I’m not sure. It doesn’t hurt to ask!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice @Arcadian ! I hope the jeweler won’t hate me, but oh well.

I am going to try to take it to a jeweler at a gem show. He has set chrysoberyl, tourmaline and spinel for me. He also set my friend’s demantoid. I almost bought a sphalerite from another vendor last year. That vendor said he knew someone who could set it. I think he meant the jeweler I know, but I’m not sure. It doesn’t hurt to ask!

I hope you realize that these are all quite a bit harder than a sphene. Seriously a Mohs of 5 is soft, and sphene can scratch easily. Of all that I have (10 of them) Only the 1 that has been set and it hardley gets worn...I also won't ever scope it, better to not know....:wink2:)

The one in my avatar will never be set. Sure is pretty tho.......

The guy I used did unbelieveable work on all types of gemstones, but that sphene was quite the challenge... and it was for a ring. (which I don't advise but yep, sure did...lol) If I ever have to replace it, I have another just like it:shifty:

Setting in 14 or 18K is fine (probably better in 18K for a pendant) We of course want to see what it looks like after the set!!!:appl:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope you realize that these are all quite a bit harder than a sphene. Seriously a Mohs of 5 is soft, and sphene can scratch easily. Of all that I have (10 of them) Only the 1 that has been set and it hardley gets worn...I also won't ever scope it, better to not know....:wink2:)

The one in my avatar will never be set. Sure is pretty tho.......

The guy I used did unbelieveable work on all types of gemstones, but that sphene was quite the challenge... and it was for a ring. (which I don't advise but yep, sure did...lol) If I ever have to replace it, I have another just like it:shifty:

Setting in 14 or 18K is fine (probably better in 18K for a pendant) We of course want to see what it looks like after the set!!!:appl:
I will definitely show y’all once I get it set. Hopefully, I can do it in a couple of weeks. The jeweler who set my opal a paraiba necklace sets sphene. If the jeweler at the show can’t do it, he can. It will be pricier though. Is a 5 softer or as soft as apatite? I knew sphene was soft, but not that soft. Whoa!
I love the sphene in your avatar!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautiful stone, Chatoyancy! I m really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I love sphenes too, ( but don’t have one yet.) The color dispersion is absolutely mesmerizing. The first time I saw them in person was in some earrings. I couldn’t pull my eyes away, it was like falling into a world of rainbow, glittery light !

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautiful stone, Chatoyancy! I m really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I love sphenes too, ( but don’t have one yet.) The color dispersion is absolutely mesmerizing. The first time I saw them in person was in some earrings. I couldn’t pull my eyes away, it was like falling into a world of rainbow, glittery light !
Thank you Bluegemz! Earrings would be gorgeous! No wonder you couldn’t pull your eyes away. I know sphene is soft, but I still think it’s an underrated gem.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
As long as the jeweler is paid well and not held responsible for damage on the gem, he shouldn't complain? It is his job.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
68BB1AA7-F21A-471D-950D-0AC9CA752680.jpeg F8366AB4-C6F3-4CDB-A8A4-9562E36FA004.jpeg I had my sphene set by a jeweler I like at the gem show yesterday. It is set in 14wg. He was supposed to set it in 14kyg, but oops (long story). I wasn’t about to ask him to reset the sphene, as that would be insane. Anyway, it goes well with my chrysoberyl earrings he set last August. The sphene is 1.5 carats. I had the chain from the tsavorite necklace my husband gave to me a while ago.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW it's quite stunning and I am so glad the setting went well.

:appl: :appl: :appl:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
0BF502EF-EDD3-4204-8E92-EEAB642A2334.jpeg Oh I love sphene <3 I had mine set in a bezel. Not an easy job, but my goldsmith did an excellent job. I think he used 22 karat gold for the top part although the rest is 14 karat gold.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning result!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, stunning. I have a pair of trilliant sphenes for earrings. My concerns would be, care in wearing (cleaning the stone).

If setting a sphere is difficult, I wonder if anyone, ever, tried setting a sphalerite. Think of six cleavage planes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0BF502EF-EDD3-4204-8E92-EEAB642A2334.jpeg Oh I love sphene <3 I had mine set in a bezel. Not an easy job, but my goldsmith did an excellent job. I think he used 22 karat gold for the top part although the rest is 14 karat gold.
Beautiful. I had the same issue setting my big opal.
Quote started out for using 14kt, then went up to 18kt and finally due to less than precision sides on the opal, up to 22kt to get the job done. Ouch, but worth it.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, he is brave and so are you! The result is so beautiful. I’m sure the rich 22k YG complements the sphene’s colors wonderfully,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results