shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting: Yellow Gold Band with Platinum or White Gold Prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyB

Rough_Rock
I would like to get a setting for my engagement ring with an 18karat yellow gold band and 4 white prongs. However, I don't know whether I should get white gold or platinum prongs. I plan on having a 1 carat diamond in the middle with two .2 carats on either side so I don't know whether having 3 stones makes any difference. Any suggestions on whether white gold or platinum prongs are better matches (compatibility, strength) for a yellow gold band?

Some jewellers have told me that it's better to use white gold with yellow gold because the melting properties are the same rather than platinum with yellow gold since the 2 have very different properties. Is this true?

wacko.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'll also be interested in the answer to this question.......I'm looking to design a yellow gold ring that has a F-G center stone flanked by two round aquamarines on either side in a 3-stone setting. My first impression is that I should go for platinum prongs to maintain the integrity of the color of the stones, but I'd love input if anyone has reasons why another way might look better, etc.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I think platinum prongs are better because platinum won't turn yellow with the time.

Vatche for instance never uses white gold at all and always uses platinum prongs with 18K yellow gold

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
KittyB,
Go with Platinum as Leonid has said previously. The cost shouldnt be that much more than the gold. Besides, Platinum is more secure so I would deffinitely be thinking of that.
2.gif

Judy
:)

nutterbutter

Rough_Rock
I just had my 1 carat set in a six prong platinum head. My setting is 18k. The jeweler charged me $95.00 for the head and setting the stone.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results