shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Question

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to set the stone I got from Gene in a cheap ebay setting I happened to have anyone around but the cut is so good I kinda wanna dress her up.

I bought this cluster for the diamonds and was hoping to just swap the stones since the prongs are a tad long. Unfortunately, my stone is 7.5mm and that just isn't gonna work.

20201010_125646.jpg

Of course now I am having 2nd and 3rd thoughts if the diamonds are gonna be too small. They are 3.2mm approx. I have 11 of them. Will they look too small? I am assuming with a tad more space between them I can stretch them out but am I kidding myself??

Any thoughts?

20201010_124758.jpg

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Ask David Klass for advice

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on your budget really for this type of project. I have seen a lot of these snowflake rings that has a large halo stone followed by something around 2 mm. That would be a better option or just buying the additional stones. I love the sapphire but the Pad will look beautiful too. If you have the budget, then DK or any custom jeweler can certainly do it. I would expect something like $1500 for the setting plus the diamond. If you are on a budget, you could get the ring made with lab diamonds from Tianyu and just give them the measurements for the center. They are much smaller and still do a lot of the hand cutting for their stones. I would expect something like $700-$800 and you could just sell the antique ring for a reasonable price or what you paid and put that towards exactly what you want w/o having to compromise on the design.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Following. I’m hoping to do same.

Eg, I want to make an affordable antique style Halo setting with high crown old mine cuts for 8mm stone.

My problem is where to find the right size Stones and cut and how to get them colorless Or close to colorless.

I would love any tips on where to buy nice old mine cut moissy, CZ or MMD, colorless.

I’ve looked for authentic old cuts for months but it seems like true antique halos and clusters are very expensive and rare now, esp to just pull apart.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take this with a grain of salt - I’m try as close as I can with size/proportions with rudimentary app.
9D5E9815-3D22-455F-883F-AEAC2B649821.jpeg
I think the stone sizes will work nicely together.
And you have one more diamond you can throw in there as well?

but if you want chunkier of a cluster - that’s what the heart wants and don’t settle.

a lot will also depend on how you decide to go about this.
are these diamonds what you want to work around and you are open to the style of the mounting being dictated by the stone size?
If you don’t want to utilize metal to take up some space that might be there -
You might have to get the style you want designed and then find out what size stones you need to make that happen.
I think tilt of the halo also changes the space of the cluster as well?

the sculpted metal around my cluster stones took up space and also the faux cup bezel took up necessary space as well - to make it ‘fit’.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all! So I spoke with a jeweler and the little blue guy is too small to swap out with the Pad. He said i could deconstruct it but then it wouldn't be the same and the diamonds were all rather typical miners and all sorts of shapes. I had him size the ring and he cleaned it up incredibly well. Now I have been wearing it and sort of love the feel and coverage.

Back to the drawing board. I now grappling with do I want "another" cluster, possibly with newer stones (or MMD/Moissy) or maybe just a totally different style. It is a substantial stone and it looks good in that rose gold so rose or yellow for sure. But I do think I need a contrast since I can tend to be pink. Also, sort of thinking colored stones after seeing some affordable melee.

@LightBright I can't wait to see what you come up with. So you have a pic of your center? Is it old cut? I just saw 5 omcs for $400 on ebay but I bet you need more for an 8mm

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Following. I’m hoping to do same.

Eg, I want to make an affordable antique style Halo setting with high crown old mine cuts for 8mm stone.

My problem is where to find the right size Stones and cut and how to get them colorless Or close to colorless.

I would love any tips on where to buy nice old mine cut moissy, CZ or MMD, colorless.

I’ve looked for authentic old cuts for months but it seems like true antique halos and clusters are very expensive and rare now, esp to just pull apart.

I would look at rose cuts too. And I started looking at brooches as well, after @Rfisher find!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Take this with a grain of salt - I’m try as close as I can with size/proportions with rudimentary app.
9D5E9815-3D22-455F-883F-AEAC2B649821.jpeg
I think the stone sizes will work nicely together.
And you have one more diamond you can throw in there as well?

but if you want chunkier of a cluster - that’s what the heart wants and don’t settle.

a lot will also depend on how you decide to go about this.
are these diamonds what you want to work around and you are open to the style of the mounting being dictated by the stone size?
If you don’t want to utilize metal to take up some space that might be there -
You might have to get the style you want designed and then find out what size stones you need to make that happen.
I think tilt of the halo also changes the space of the cluster as well?

the sculpted metal around my cluster stones took up space and also the faux cup bezel took up necessary space as well - to make it ‘fit’.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

I know this is an old thread but what app are you using? Having a ring made by David and before I chat with him Tuesday I wanted to see what the head I want will look like on different bands ...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is an old thread but what app are you using? Having a ring made by David and before I chat with him Tuesday I wanted to see what the head I want will look like on different bands ...

This was with YouDoodle
its riddled with ads but it’s free. And can get by pretty well without paid upgrades. It’s all just cut/paste and using a simple grid for background to guesstimate scale.
Adobe Sketch is another good one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results