shape
carat
color
clarity

SETTING QUESTION: Eternity style engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
have a question (already have the answer from local guys but want some more opinions):

we have a 1.5 ct. diamond eternity band (rounds all the way around ring) set in platinum with 6 prong head on top. the ring is breathtaking--easily the most luxurious thing i''ve ever seen. i am told sizing down is very hard and should not be done--but sizing up is not a problem becuase you would just add a strip of platinum or another stone--???THANKS

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe adding a strip of metal still compromises the quality of the band.

We have the exact same ring for my engagement ring (see my pictures) except that my center head is 4 prong & the band is tcw of around .72c (24 .03 pointers) because I wanted a thin band. We did this one custom knowing that we'd probably never be able to resize it easily. I have been told that sizing up OR down is difficult and probably either would compromise the durability (and possibly even the look) of the ring.

I'm currently working with WhiteFlash to get my wedding band made to match. I love the eternity style, so as long as full disclosure is made on re-sizing...we're fine with the restrictions.

bacon

Rough_Rock
highendgems-
It is always best not to size a ring like that at all. However in the real world we are asked to do things that are not the best practise and procedure.
The ring being platinum and set with nearby gems must be sized with 18K white gold solder at best. This requires a very accomplished platinumsmith to do an adequate job.
Because of the platinum and closness of the gems I strongly urge you not to size it at all.

bacon

Rough_Rock
Where's yer humidorstore? uled me to a dead end. 8-)
I got one a couple of months ago.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
humidorstoreonline.com will be up and ready within 6 months. our online site is not finished yet. these are very high end custom humidors.

diamondsR4ever

Rough_Rock
adding a strip of metal (in this case platinum) to the back would not compromise the ring if done by an experienced jeweler. additionally, adding another diamond can be done as well. going bigger is not the problem if they are set in prongs/microprongs/shared prongs.

the ring can easily be sized down by altering the INSIDE of the ring.

diamondsR4ever

Rough_Rock
18K, why not plat? i would use plat. and this is not as hard as people think/

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
HEG, if you're going to talk to yourself, please do it somewhere else.
naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results