shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting quality

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

So I followed some previous advice and checked out some B&M stores for types of settings that would like (since online it is so hard to judge) and I have learned that I love the split shank halo look. And it looks nice on my finger. :) The one I tried on was a Scott Kay setting. It was a cushion shape halo for a round diamond. Gorgeous. And I can't find the actual ring on-line (still looking) so that you all can see it. Is Scott Kay a good quality setting? This was at Ben Bridges. Also I know you can negotiate prices but can I really do that for a designer setting? I KNOW I can get great stuff on-line but it is SO hard to really see what I like on-line. How do I judge how it will really look on my finger???

Thanks for any advice you all can give.

susan

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you could try Pearlman's Jewelers for Scott Kay settings - mention you are on PS. As far as negotiating...I am not sure. Maybe if you could find the same setting online you could negotiate for the online price? Although the designer settings may be priced the same everywhere...I am not sure. I would definitely check it out though!

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I haven't been able to find the same setting on-line to compare prices. :( But I will not give up. :)

And now I have been drooling over some stuff by Erica Grace. :( That does not help matters.

Susan

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely call or email Pearlmans for a quote. If they don't have the setting on their site they can easily order it for you and do be sure to tell them you found them on pricescope! There is just no way for vendors to stock all the settings a designer might offer, especially like Scott Kay. Scott Kay makes a quality ring and they are very beautiful!! The setting you want sounds lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please go custom and don't pay for Scott Kay! When my daughter was looking for a wedding band last fall, the closest she could find to what she wanted was Scott Kay. That diamond band had half the diamond weight and cost 30% more than the custom ring she ended up with made by Maytal Hannah!!! I'd have Steven Kirsch, Victor Canera, or Maytal make it. It will cost less and be handmade.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1307191787|2937607 said:
Please go custom and don't pay for Scott Kay! When my daughter was looking for a wedding band last fall, the closest she could find to what she wanted was Scott Kay. That diamond band had half the diamond weight and cost 30% more than the custom ring she ended up with made by Maytal Hannah!!! I'd have Steven Kirsch, Victor Canera, or Maytal make it. It will cost less and be handmade.

diamondseeker, brings up a good point. If you are open to going custom the designers she mentioned all do incredible work and it very well may be less expensive. I'd probably get quotes for both and then you can compare. I used to shy away from custom rings b/c I like to be able to see and touch and try on the ring I'll be wearing, but based on the pictures of the work some of these custom guys (and gals) are doing I would definitely consider it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Split shank halo - I would go with Leon Mege. But I have a gut feeling that he wouldn't like putting a round in a cushion shape setting. So ... I guess I would go with Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera. I am keen on seeing what Steven can do in terms of split shank rings.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I do love the work of these designers but aren't they pretty pricey? The Scott Kay ranges from 2600 to close to depending on metal (platinum comes with g-H vs stones vs the others have I and i stones) I would like 18K or platinum (depends on price).

What sort of price range is a custom piece?

Susan

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
The custom folks would probably be around 3-5k depending on the design. However, if you are being quoted for $2600 for the SK then that is a bargain. Scott kay prices should be pretty much the same vendor to vendor b/c the designer sets the pricing. Pearlmans lists all the SK items they carry and based on the description you are giving us, that setting would be around 4K..

here's a round halo with a round stone for example and is priced for white gold....

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/scott-kay-jewelry/rings/216U1/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results