shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting on Antique Engagement Rings.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I tried doing a PS search on this vendor, but did not find much. However, I did read that the owner was very nice and honest. I also managed to find one person's account of his experience back in 2007, but it does not appear that he is a regular poster, so I am not sure if he will be back to comment (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-put-me-in-charge-vintage-e-ring.61973/page-6)

My BF and I were taking a look at e-rings and we are of course on the opposite side of the map. I wanted a plain solitaire, mainly for budget reasons, but he wants me to have a ring that has a bit more interest. He knows I like antique rings, which is very true (see my thread on my great grandmothers ering in colored gems), but I did not think he would be able to find a style that would be affordable (I want to put a good portion of the budget toward the diamond). So, I took a look at antique engagementrings.com and found a style I like, which is also something he is excited about. This is a reproduction, of course. I like the profile and the shank, my concern is the quality.

He wants to keep the setting under $1500 and I spotted this one (he really likes a split-shank look):

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1928

What I have linked to is the setting + the diamond. In this case, he would be purchasing the diamond seperate from the setting.
Oddly enough, this setting is pictured with about the size diamond we are considering.

Any opinions regarding the quality of this setting or experiences with this site? In an ideal world, I would love an antique stone like Surfgirl's for this setting, but that would be a tall order, so he is probably going to source a quality stone from a PS vendor. I would like to wear a wedding band too, wondering if it would fit with this one (it does not need to be perfectly flush).

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you searched on that seller, you probably found my posts, so my comments might not add all that much for you, but here goes anyway. I have a setting from them, though not that particular setting. I've had it for 5 or 6 years now. The quality is good but not great--it's fine if you're not scrutinizing it with a loupe. I love the design. I wear it nearly every day, and it's held up well. The price was excellent. I'm glad I bought it, and I would do it again. If you're the kind of person who expects your ring to look perfect through a microscope, don't buy it. If you're more easygoing, you'll probably be happy with it. Remember that the ring will be even more delicate-looking in person than in that photo, but the finishing might not be quite as nice (mine wasn't).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting! I think it would look great with a thin pave or even plain band next to it.

If you would like an antique diamond, I would probably try to get Antique Engagement Rings to source an antique diamond for you. I''m pretty sure they''re in the diamond district in NYC although I didn''t go see them when I was there.

Also, I have heard around here that you should call them instead of e-mail them. I can''t wait to see what you end up with!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I love that setting too. I seriously considered it for my Jubilee. I love the side details! Sorry, no experience with the designer.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Omi, Ari at Single Stone can source you antique stones in any price range so long as you''re willing to go down in color and clarity to fit whatever budget you have.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Glittera - I did in fact read a few of your comments, which have been helpful. My BF and I were happy about the price, but I will have to discuss with him the craftmanship. As a RHR, I can easily live with the quality level you have described, especially since you said you are very happy with your purchase. However, as an e-ring I am not so sure. Perhaps I am being a bit obsessive, but I did see a minor flaw in the picture of the setting on the site, which as you said probably would not go noticed IRL. The take away for me is that I would be likely to get a solid setting for a great price, which will not be as fine as higher end settings out there.

thing2of2 - I was thinking of a thin pave band to go next to it as well, in fact, there is one on the site that I think could look very nice with it. I did also read that it is best to call them directly, so I will pass that information along to my BF, in the event he decides to pursue this setting as an option. Thanks!

NeverEndingUpgrade - Given Glittera's experiences, the setting might not be as fine as I would like, but I do like its design. I wish I lived or was traveling to NY so that I could see for myself.

Surfgirl - thanks so much for suggesting SingleStone. I will be sure to check them out ASAP because I have grown to appreciate antique stones and I do not mind a "warmer" color as long it is the "right" diamond. I am not 100% sold on this particular setting, as I would like to check out more - in addition to SingleStone, would you perhaps have suggestions of other sites I might be interested in?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all reproductions are created equal - it sounds like quality and craftsmanship are important to you, so please do look at handmade reproduction settings versus cast settings. Handmade repro settings will have a much higher level of detail and will be comparable to the workmanship you see in genuine antiques. There is nothing wrong with a cast setting but the difference in the level of detail and craftsmanship is noteworthy, as is the difference in price, of course. A handmade repro will most likely exceed your $1500 budget unless you stick with a very simple solitaire.

And remember, you might be able to find a wonderful vintage setting for under $2k!

Also look at finished antique rings - you may well find a setting you love with a beautiful diamond already in it.

On a separate note, we always recommend finding your stone first, and the setting to follow. It's much easier to find a setting for a 7.15mm stone, for example, than to find an antique diamond between 7.00mm and 7.20mm that you like the looks of, within your price range, etc. Fall in love with a diamond, then explore setting options. And you never know, once you start looking at old cuts, you might fall hard for a specific stone that is not the shape you originally thought you wanted.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 214px">Date: 8/6/2008 2:58:22 PM
Author: ericad
Not all reproductions are created equal - it sounds like quality and craftsmanship are important to you, so please do look at handmade reproduction settings versus cast settings. Handmade repro settings will have a much higher level of detail and will be comparable to the workmanship you see in genuine antiques. There is nothing wrong with a cast setting but the difference in the level of detail and craftsmanship is noteworthy, as is the difference in price, of course. A handmade repro will most likely exceed your $1500 budget unless you stick with a very simple solitaire.

And remember, you might be able to find a wonderful vintage setting for under $2k!

Also look at finished antique rings - you may well find a setting you love with a beautiful diamond already in it.

On a separate note, we always recommend finding your stone first, and the setting to follow. It's much easier to find a setting for a 7.15mm stone, for example, than to find an antique diamond between 7.00mm and 7.20mm that you like the looks of, within your price range, etc. Fall in love with a diamond, then explore setting options. And you never know, once you start looking at old cuts, you might fall hard for a specific stone that is not the shape you originally thought you wanted.
Thank you Ericad, your tips are extremely helpful. I will look into finished antique rings as well.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
You might try looking at Beverley K, if you want something with a detailed, antique look that isn''t too expensive. I remember looking at ones with sidestones, in 18K, that were about 1100 to 1500. You could also go with a simpler, more classic setting, and upgrade later. Also don''t be afraid to ask about custom work. I had a custom setting made and it was not nearly as expensive as one would imagine.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
kimikocat - thanks for your suggestions dear. Daniel K has so many pretty settings to select from. My problem is, I want more than the budget allows, as I would like the setting to be platinum, which adds a considerable amount to the cost. I have given my BF a few names of PS vendors who have done soilid custom work + a few examples of settings I like, so we will see what he comes up with.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Some of these settings at Dover look similar to your style desires and within your price range link
Oh, so much fun to search!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My e-ring setting and wedding band are from this company. I agree with an earlier poster - excellent price, medium quality. Nice, but not perfect. Owner (Leigh) is super friendly and helpful in person. Not so great with emails. They are indeed in NYC''s diamond district... but they''ve moved. No longer are in the antique jewelry plaza at 10 47th st. Now they are in a building right next door on 8th floor. A security check is required to enter the building.

Anne

wandamas

Rough_Rock
omi- I second surfgirl with going to Ari at SingleStone. I went thru the process of getting the setting and stone from different places. For all of the craftmanship and bling on my setting I thought the price was right and you should be able to get something nice within your budget.

SingleStone doesn''t have the greatest webpage but they are very good with sending pics and getting email. The best bet is to look around at a few different styles you like and send Ari and email with some pictures of what you are looking for and let me look at what he has.

Good Luck
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Swimmer - Thank you for suggesting Dover, I will take a peek at that site to see what they have.

anne_h - Thanks for sharing your experience. Assuming you posted pictures of your e-ring on PS, would you mind hunting down the link to your thread, as I would like to see pictures of your ring. Does the "medium" quality of your e-ring bother you, or have you just been enjoying it?

wandamas - SingleStone has a pretty ok site as far as I am concerned. Will investigate further and discuss with my BF.

ETA: Anne, I was able to find one posting of your ring, it is beautiful! Might I ask what you have noticed about it, that you feel is of "medium" quality? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-completed-pics-and-acknowledgements-included.34326/

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Omie,

Here is what I noticed that made me say "medium" quality:

- Bead setting was a little rough
- One prong seemed a bit crooked
- Some black stuff (presumably polish?) was left on the ring, it took awhile to wear off
- An unrelated jeweler who saw the setting said the stone was too big for it (ie: a larger head should have been used, I think that would have required a whole different mold/recast) > but personally, I liked it, as the stone sits quite low
- The e-ring and wedding band are designed to match. However, the tiny pave stones used in the e-ring are larger than those used in the band. I wasn''t sure if that was on purpose, to keep the price down? I had expected them to match in size.

HOWEVER, his prices are excellent, very competitive. And the diamonds themselves have a nice color and clarity.

In my case, I knew I would be changing/upgrading the setting at some point in the future, so I wasn''t bothered.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results